PDA

View Full Version : Dispelling a single spell instead of every ongoing spell effect

Silva Stormrage
2020-07-17, 11:08 PM
Hey, quick rules question as this is a minor debate between a player and myself. Can a player use dispel magic to dispel a single spell on a creature without attempting to dispel other ongoing spells on a creature.

My argument: Dispel Magic states, "You can use dispel magic to end ongoing spells that have been cast on a creature or object, to temporarily suppress the magical abilities of a magic item, to end ongoing spells (or at least their effects) within an area, or to counter another spellcaster’s spell" which clarifies that when it targets a spell its targeting a spell that affects an area and is meant to be used to dispel spells like Solid Fog or similar ongoing spells that produce an effect on the world.

His argument: The targeted version of dispel magic states, "One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell." The spell doesn't specify the targeted spell has to be on an area in the targeted version of the spell and he can just target the spell that is affecting a creature.

It's a minor issue but does have some ramifications for his build so I was mostly curious to what the playground's opinion was.

MesiDoomstalker
2020-07-18, 01:53 AM
You can purposefully fail caster level checks. So, functionally, you can be selective so long as you know what each roll is against which spell.

Silva Stormrage
2020-07-18, 02:25 AM
You can purposefully fail caster level checks. So, functionally, you can be selective so long as you know what each roll is against which spell.

I know but he wants to avoid dispelling his own buffs (Persist Build) and this clause "You automatically succeed on your dispel check against any spell that you cast yourself." means you can't fail the CL checks to dispel your own spells.

Darg
2020-07-18, 09:09 AM
Just use the area dispel. Sure you can't dispel more than one effect per cast, but you'll be able to dispel the appropriate effect.

Otherwise the DM could just QoL let them still choose what to dispel even if targeted as nothing says you can't still choose to fail.

Khedrac
2020-07-18, 09:38 AM
Just use the area dispel. Sure you can't dispel more than one effect per cast, but you'll be able to dispel the appropriate effect.

Otherwise the DM could just QoL let them still choose what to dispel even if targeted as nothing says you can't still choose to fail.

I have to admit I thought you could target a spell effect, but when I looked it up to quote I found out I was wrong.

This option looks promising - instead of the automatic self-dispel of the targetted, you get a choice on auto-dispelling your own spells, so you can choose to roll and hopefully fail.

Darg
2020-07-18, 11:30 AM
As Mesi said, I believe you can fail caster level checks on purpose. With the area dispel even if it is only one spell at a time, you should be able to remove unwanted magical effects provided you know what effect is being rolled for. There is no specific rule saying that the character can't know which buffs are being rolled on, but the inverse is true too. If the DM plays the second way you have to make educated guesses as to what order something gets dispelled. This means to discuss how same caster level effects are chosen to be dispelled. And remember that the caster can manually lower the caster level of a spell cast as long as it is the same or higher than the level needed to cast it in the first place. This helps order the buffs so that you know what is being dispelled when the rolled buff is random, with the draw back that they are weaker to enemy dispels.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-07-21, 08:10 AM
Yes, assuming you can target the spell (so you'd need Arcane Sight or some other way to see magic). But aside from that i see no reason why you couldn't.