PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next P.E.A.C.H.: new feat merging Polearm Master and Revenant Blade

Maan
2020-07-18, 05:22 AM
My homebrew world is in the backburner but I'm working on it in my spare time. So, here's an idea I had that I would like to hear some opinions on.
At the title say, it's something inbetween PAM and Revenant Blade (from Eberron).
It's pretty much a "Versatile Master" (I need to find a good name, too. "Whirlwind Fighter"?).

You have learned to use the lighter two handed weapons in a way that blend quick and precise strikes with deft defense. When you are wielding a versatile weapon with two hands, you gain the following benefits:

When you take the Attack action and attack with only a versatile weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can use a bonus action to make a quick melee attack; this attack uses the same ability modifier as the primary attack. The weapon's damage die for this attack is a d4, and the attack deals either bludgeoning damage or the same damage as the primary attack (your choice).
You gain a +1 bonus to Armor Class.
A versatile weapon has the finesse property when you wield it.

Why adding this one: I kinda liked the Revenant Blade feat and I thought there's little variety in options for Dexterity melee characters.
But I want to be sure this isn't going to break anything.

rlc
2020-07-18, 05:53 AM
I'd probably add two handed weapons without the heavy property, since you're basing it on the revenant blade feat and all.
It looks good, though.

da newt
2020-07-18, 06:56 AM
So a Rogue could use a longsword w/ 2 hands, get a BA attack, finesse/SA, and +1 to AC ... nice and not OP in my opinion.

But the idea of a warhammer or battleaxe being finesse strikes me as off. I can't visualize the 6 ST Kobold getting after it w/ a battleaxe effectively.

HappyDaze
2020-07-18, 10:34 AM
Three (almost) always applicable bonuses is way too good. This feat is busted. Perhaps if the +1 AC was lost on any turn the bonus action attack was taken it might merely be strong, but as is, way over the top.

Maan
2020-07-20, 02:45 AM
I'd probably add two handed weapons without the heavy property, since you're basing it on the revenant blade feat and all.
It looks good, though.
Having a quick look at weapons, the only two handed weapon without the heavy property would be the Greatclub, isn't it?

But the idea of a warhammer or battleaxe being finesse strikes me as off. I can't visualize the 6 ST Kobold getting after it w/ a battleaxe effectively.
I won't have Kobolds as a player race but I can see what you're saying.
Those two weapons (and possibly the Greatclub) are hard to marry with the idea of being used to deftly attack and defend in quick and accurate strikes. Mostly, it's the defense part that I can't really see with those.
I might just make a list of weapons usable with this feat, like longsword, quarterstaff, spear and trident. They would still cover every type of damage.

Three (almost) always applicable bonuses is way too good. This feat is busted. Perhaps if the +1 AC was lost on any turn the bonus action attack was taken it might merely be strong, but as is, way over the top.
Actually, I toned it down from what Revenant Blade (an official feat, that is) does: in that case the bonus attack is a weapon feature and the feat itself it's an half-feature with a +1 to Str or Dex!

Comparing this feat I'm working on with plain dual wielding, you get +1 to Armor Class and you get to add the stat to damage for the bonus attack; and with the longsword you get 1d10+1d4 against 1d6+1d6.
Comparing the proposed feat with Dual Wielder, the AC bonus is the same, and the Dual Wielder can use two rapiers for 1d8+1d8; it still doesn't add the stat to the damage for the bonus attack though, so that would be the one thing this feat would do better. But then again, Dual Wielder is seen by many as a lackluster feat.
Against PAM, this feat has the AC bonus and the fact it's usable with Dex; it lacks the OA that PAM gets, and it loses the sinergy with Sentinel.

Overall, I can't see how it would be over the top.
Unless I'm not considering some interaction with Classes' Features and/or other feats.