PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Dragonmark Feat

carrdrivesyou
2020-07-18, 10:44 AM
So, out of about 5 characters that have been interested in this feat, the DMs have denied it every time. Some thought it was too powerful, others denied it because it didn't fit the setting. So I am curious. Where does this feat fall into the "OP" category?

I am honestly at a bit of a loss on this one.

Avonar
2020-07-18, 10:53 AM
So the main thing is that is an Eberron specific feat, so if the game wasn't an Eberron game then I can see why the DM denied it. As for the feat, it is pretty powerful, it allows anyone to gain a cantrip, a 1st level spell every short rest as well as a way to either gain temp HP or gain extra damage. Bear in mind that Magic Initiate gives you a 1st level spell every long rest. Add in the fact that it is based on Con, it's a free couple of spells that come complete with additional temp HP or damage without having to invest anything into the normal spellcasting abilities.

stoutstien
2020-07-18, 11:24 AM
It's a good feat but hard to call it OP. The fact that Con is the casting stat for the spell means that it better used for utility or defensive spells where MI you can gain 2 cantrips and a spell that can potentially work with your primary stat. For gish/defensive builds having EE or shield free once a SR is powerful but is it more powerful than grabbing find familiar from MI or getting reaction casting from WC?

The hit dice for damage or THP is mostly a non factor. It's fun but how often will you be near an enemy but not and ally to prevent friendly fire and once you could safely use it without potentially killing off a fellow party member the cost of the HD for a pitiful amount of THP/damage isn't worth the cost.

Overall I would rate it a 7/10 for general use and 8/10 for Frontline damage mitigation characters

*If your DM allows the variant for greater mark I would rate it 9/10 just for the fun of epic boons can bring.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-07-19, 02:52 AM
Well I mean if it isn’t an Eberron campaign then yeah that makes sense.
If it is Eberron then the flavour (which is what I love about the feat tbh) might not work with the way the campaign is headed.