PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft in the Playground

Alabenson
2020-07-18, 07:57 PM
With Minecraft's 1.16 Nether Update out, I was wondering if anyone in the playground is still playing Minecraft, and if so what have you been up to?

Destro_Yersul
2020-07-18, 08:47 PM
While I do still play Minecraft sometimes, most of the good mods are still on 1.12. So I've never really updated past that, and what I've seen of the nether update thus far, while cool, is not anything worth ditching mods for.

hajo
2020-07-19, 05:34 AM
anyone in the playground is still playing Minecraft ?
You know Minetest (http://www.minetest.net/downloads/) ? Free, open-source etc.

There are many mods that can alter gameplay in may ways,
amoung them a mod Mineclone (https://wiki.minetest.net/Games/MineClone_2) that makes it play fairly MC-like.

danzibr
2020-07-19, 06:06 AM
I play MC 1.16 with my family (wife and children) on our server.

Erloas
2020-07-19, 01:17 PM
I've been playing lately with some LoadingReadyRun community servers.

Just started on 1.16, going for a wild west theme for my base in the badlands at this point. Will try to do a lot more in the nether, but haven't got to that point yet.

ShneekeyTheLost
2020-07-19, 10:01 PM
I mostly do modded, so I'm still on 1.12.2, although more are moving over to 1.15, might try that a bit, even if most of the features since 1.12.2 are pure bloat.

Erloas
2020-07-20, 03:03 AM
I'm not sure you can say modded is so great and that added content in the base game is bloat...

The aquatic update was pretty bid, and 14 changed a lot too. 15 wasn't too big on the gameplay side, but a lot more background changes. They're not as big of changes a some of the big mods but some very solid improvements to the game.

danzibr
2020-07-20, 04:01 AM
I'm not sure you can say modded is so great and that added content in the base game is bloat...

The aquatic update was pretty bid, and 14 changed a lot too. 15 wasn't too big on the gameplay side, but a lot more background changes. They're not as big of changes a some of the big mods but some very solid improvements to the game.
I agree.

I’m not the most hardcore MCer of all time, but I’ve played PE since... pretty much the beginning of PE. And I’ve really enjoyed every update.

Granted I’ve enjoyed some of the mods too...

Destro_Yersul
2020-07-20, 04:44 AM
Part of my problem with the stuff that's been added in recent updates is that it requires exploring to find. A few mods require some exploring, but I tend to prefer the stuff that will mostly work from wherever you happen to decide is a good site for your base. The newest Nether stuff is kinda interesting, but it mostly amounts to a few new biomes, and if I want nether biomes there's plenty of mods for that.

Velaryon
2020-07-20, 07:55 AM
I've just gotten back into it recently during quarantine. I just play single player vanilla Minecraft though, and I've been away long enough I'm needing to relearn some things.

ShneekeyTheLost
2020-07-20, 11:40 AM

What exactly have they added? Bees? Yea, I think Forestry kinda beat you at that by... yanno... several years. And still has a better implementation. Dolphins? Okay, so? Oh, the Illagers, right? Or were they in 1.12.2, I can never remember.

Yea, no, I'm gonna stick with my statement. Then again, Minecraft has a history of 'being inspired by' mods, such as the Piston and the Enderchest. The only reason I'd actually want to bump to 1.15 is for the mod Create. That alone has more features than every update in vanilla MC between 1.12.2 and 1.15.

JNAProductions
2020-07-20, 11:50 AM
I'm playing FTB Interactions right now. Don't really do much Vanilla, though I look forward to when mods move forward.

DigoDragon
2020-07-20, 11:53 AM
I play once in a while, mostly in creative mode to fiddle with buildings in a village and see how elaborate I can make the houses before the villagers get stuck or hurt themselves.

The issue I have with most updates is that all the interesting stuff is super rare to find. I've never seen a panda naturally spawn without using creative mode. Never got a trident drop legit. After playing for a few hours I tend to lose interest in hunting the new stuff so I just go back to creative mode and work on building little houses for villagers.

Alabenson
2020-07-20, 06:15 PM
I play once in a while, mostly in creative mode to fiddle with buildings in a village and see how elaborate I can make the houses before the villagers get stuck or hurt themselves.

The issue I have with most updates is that all the interesting stuff is super rare to find. I've never seen a panda naturally spawn without using creative mode. Never got a trident drop legit. After playing for a few hours I tend to lose interest in hunting the new stuff so I just go back to creative mode and work on building little houses for villagers.

I can definitely sympathize with this, a lot of the newer stuff can definitely be a pain to locate (I've been considering building a drowned farm to get a trident, for instance) but I've also gotten into working on a few large-scale projects in creative that eat up tons upon tons of time.

Case in point, I am currently in the process of building a witch farm. Without using TNT.

oxybe
2020-07-20, 08:59 PM
i've got 16GB of ram coming in the mail, so I'm looking forward to being able to play some of the heavier modpacks (among other things, like actual modern games running much smoother).

I did play a lot of 1.12 mods, but i'm also curious as to what the newer ones have added, or if some of my old faves like Tinker's Construct and Pam's Harvestcraft are still being updated.

Draconi Redfir
2020-07-22, 07:09 PM
Don't suppose anyone knows any mod / datapack makers h'uh?

I've got some things I've been wanting for my 1.16 world that as far as i know aren't in existence at the moment.

Erloas
2020-07-22, 09:20 PM
I don't personally know them, but the server I'm on is ran by someone that does some. The big issue with mods at this point is that there were huge changes behind the scenes in 1.15 that aren't totally worked out yet in the mod tools. There also seems to be a pretty big split in the modding community between those using Forge and those using Fabric, which complicated many mod packs because you can't use mods from one with the other.

Draconi Redfir
2020-07-22, 09:33 PM
i'm not really looking for anything big.

mainly just want to be able to eat netherwart, and smelt armor into ingots instead of nuggets.

maybe something like this (https://youtu.be/CS5DQVSp058).

just quality of life stuff mostly.

Erloas
2020-07-22, 10:22 PM
Well the idea in that video has been turned into a mod, that is already updated to 1.16, and used Fabric. It is pinned as the first message in the video comments.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/randomly-adding-anything

There are a lot of mods that are already updated to 1.16, just not some of the most complex mods. Curseforge let's you search by MC version or modloader.
There are a number of QOL mods that can be used on vanilla servers even, such as mini-map and waypoints. Texture packs and shaders are already done for 1.16 too. Just search and you'll probably find something at least close to what you want.

JNAProductions
2020-07-27, 07:32 PM
So, I've begun recording an LP for FTB Interactions, a Gregtech-based modpack.

The first video will be live in about sixteen and a half hours from this post. Would anyone want me to link it once it's done?

JNAProductions
2020-07-28, 02:28 PM
Said video can be found here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fVSwsF34E8). Got four episodes recorded, with more incoming.

ShneekeyTheLost
2020-07-28, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately, FTB Interactions, like most 'Hardcore' packs, conflates grind with difficulty and it simply becomes a complete and total slog.

What you don't see with DW20's videos is how many hours goes in during that 'off camera crafting' and 'we'll do a bit of work between episodes'. Look carefully at the Bottle of Flowing Time and how its time stored jumps between cuts and episodes, that'll give you an idea of just how grindy this pack is. It takes Omnifactory out behind the woodshed with grind.

Then there's the silly amount of BS with the mobs in the overworld. There's also that. But that's a whole different discussion. I mean, that at least IS actual difficulty, but when combined with the boring pointless grind, just makes this pack... not really my cuppa.

JNAProductions
2020-07-28, 02:38 PM
Unfortunately, FTB Interactions, like most 'Hardcore' packs, conflates grind with difficulty and it simply becomes a complete and total slog.

What you don't see with DW20's videos is how many hours goes in during that 'off camera crafting' and 'we'll do a bit of work between episodes'. Look carefully at the Bottle of Flowing Time and how its time stored jumps between cuts and episodes, that'll give you an idea of just how grindy this pack is. It takes Omnifactory out behind the woodshed with grind.

Then there's the silly amount of BS with the mobs in the overworld. There's also that. But that's a whole different discussion. I mean, that at least IS actual difficulty, but when combined with the boring pointless grind, just makes this pack... not really my cuppa.

I like the way it combines various mods.

I will agree that the mobs are a bit crazy, though!

ShneekeyTheLost
2020-07-28, 03:06 PM
I like the way it combines various mods.

Oh, I certainly agree with that. I like how the magic and tech dovetail with each other, a dual-sided tech/magic progression is something I've been working on in the pack I have under construction, which will be billed as a 'mediumcore' pack (similar in concept to a hardcore pack, but without excessive grind). Also tweaking the resource generation to make it good, but also keenly aware that Iron, for example, is much more prevalent than, say, copper and tin, but requires more infrastructure to turn into useful products.

However, making a carefully curated pack like that is a... non-trivial task. It's a work in progress that may never see fruition. Alas, such is life.

Destro_Yersul
2020-07-28, 06:19 PM
Yeah, the whole excessive grind is something that seems to hit a lot of packs. And sometimes mods. I remember Gregtech being particularly egregious for it back in the day.

JNAProductions
2020-07-28, 06:23 PM
Yeah, the whole excessive grind is something that seems to hit a lot of packs. And sometimes mods. I remember Gregtech being particularly egregious for it back in the day.

Gregtech does add GIANT ore veins, which help mitigate it.

Destro_Yersul
2020-07-28, 06:58 PM
Didn't used to. What it used to do was change a bunch of the recipes from Industrialcraft to be way more annoying to build, and nerf UU matter.

enderlord99
2020-07-30, 11:09 PM
Didn't used to. What it used to do was change a bunch of the recipes from Industrialcraft to be way more annoying to build, and nerf UU matter.

Oh, it still does that, too.

Destro_Yersul
2020-07-31, 12:11 AM
Which is obnoxious. Of course, mods being what they are, IndustrialCraft's implementation itself is a bit dated now, and there are far better mods doing similar things.

danzibr
2020-07-31, 03:10 AM
Not much to add to the conversation...

Made my village too big. It’s like 140x140, concentrated in the middle. Going to split it into fourths, do a theme in each quadrant. Hopefully that’ll fix my villagers’ weird habits, get iron golems spawning again.

ShneekeyTheLost
2020-07-31, 03:35 PM
Which is obnoxious. Of course, mods being what they are, IndustrialCraft's implementation itself is a bit dated now, and there are far better mods doing similar things.

GTCE (that would be the Greg-Tech Community Edition, the modern continuation of GregNerf) actually does quite a few things differently. It has a much easier way of converting Forge Energy compatible with its own energy, with config options for the ratios should you deserve. It no longer has exploding machines (except the boilers if they run dry then add water, which can be disabled as a config option), but burning them out will convert them to a machine hull of the voltage they were made with. There's also a config option so that the machine just shuts down when it gets too much juice instead.

However, what it brought to the table were axes that basically have Treecapitator capability, even early-game ones like Flint. The early tools are kind of a pain, but you get machines to move away from most of the tools (the remaining tools once you've securely moved into LV age are basically the mod's version of the Wrench, but with differing functionalities). Automation isn't difficult to set up, and you can use the 'conveyor belt' as a machine side-cover to further increase the automation capability. Same goes with a pump.

GTCE ores are... more like Geolosys, in that they're actual ore deposits, and usually a blend of things. For example, a Magnetite deposit will have Magnetite, Vanadium Magnetite, Iron Ore, and even a bit of Gold Ore. Early game, you can use the gold, the iron, and you can pretty easily process Magnetite into iron (although not quite as efficient as iron ore), until you get the centrifuge going. The Vanadium isn't too interesting in the early game, and kind of a pain, but then in the late-game it turns out to be really useful. So like keep it in a barrel or a drawer or something. But the ore deposits are flippin' HUGE. One deposit will have hundreds of ores to process. Enough so that you don't need to worry about early-game ore doubling, because you've got ores up to your eyeballs.

The key thing about GTCE, however, is the ability to improve your efficiency through more advanced processes. For example, starting off in the 'tool age', you take two ingots to make a sheet, then use snips to turn a sheet into a wire. A Steam Hammer (not to be confused with Water Hammer, this is basically a steam-powered trip-hammer) can give you a better efficiency, 3 ingots to 2 plates. But the LV Wiremill takes one ingot and makes two wires from it. So you go from a 2:1 ratio to a 3:2 ratio to a 1:2 ratio of ingots to wires. Then when you get your Assembly Machines going, you find that you can use Fine Wire, also done in the Wiremill, which is a 1:4 return (1 wire makes 4 Fine Wire), as a drag-n-drop replacement in many components, and is more easily automated. So now you're looking at a 1:8 ratio, effectively.

Every time you bring a new piece of tech online, it would be a good idea to reexamine everything from the ground up to see how you can best take advantage of it. That may mean ripping out a chunk of what you'd done before to build it more efficiently. But it may also mean a substantial savings in resources and/or time.

In short... GTCE really is a different mod from IC2, and even very different from IC2+GT used to be. It's a lot better balanced, and actually brings a lot of extra efficiency with the complexity to reward you for your ingenuity. There's a reason it's used frequently in hardcore packs. It actually isn't as bad as people remember GT being. At least not in my case.

InvisibleBison
2020-07-31, 03:56 PM
GTCE (that would be the Greg-Tech Community Edition, the modern continuation of GregNerf)

This looks really interesting. I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks for revealing its existence to me!

Alabenson
2020-08-03, 07:11 AM
Of those of you who are playing on 1.16, has anyone else tried mining for ancient debris yet? I've had some luck with the TNT tunneling method, averaging about 4-5 ancient debris per stack of TNT used, and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar results.

Erloas
2020-08-03, 08:34 AM
Bed mining is cheaper, resource wise. I haven't done it myself yet, but one of the streamers I watch has and that's about the rate they had. A bigger part seemed to be the time spend fighting lava and fires.

danzibr
2020-08-03, 10:42 AM
Of those of you who are playing on 1.16, has anyone else tried mining for ancient debris yet? I've had some luck with the TNT tunneling method, averaging about 4-5 ancient debris per stack of TNT used, and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar results.

Bed mining is cheaper, resource wise. I haven't done it myself yet, but one of the streamers I watch has and that's about the rate they had. A bigger part seemed to be the time spend fighting lava and fires.
Yeah I did bed mining. With great success. Feet at depth 12, dig way in, boom bed. In like half an hour you’ll have full netherite gear (with suitable prep).

Edit: nix that 30 minute comment. Did some more bed mining last night, like half an hour, only got 5 ancient debris. Just depends I suppose.

mining_c
2020-08-06, 08:42 AM
You see with the minecraft i think there is nothing left that is new ! they have build and done everything already man ! there are kids out there who no nothing but minecraft ! they like know all the names of the mobs but cant name 5 of their presidents :D

Alabenson
2020-08-08, 10:54 AM

Yeah I did bed mining. With great success. Feet at depth 12, dig way in, boom bed. In like half an hour you’ll have full netherite gear (with suitable prep).

Edit: nix that 30 minute comment. Did some more bed mining last night, like half an hour, only got 5 ancient debris. Just depends I suppose.

The resource cost to TNT mining isn't really a big deal for me since I have a hostile mob farm that gives me plenty of gunpowder (not to mention that the witch farm should give me a large amount of gunpowder as well assuming I ever finish digging out the perimeter for it). A bigger concern for me is fighting lava, which is why I'm a little leery about bed mining. Given my experiences thus far, I just don't really like the idea of being at ground zero for a blast that opens up a 3x3 hole in the ceiling of the tunnel full of lava.

On the bright side, last night I managed to uncover about 19 ancient debris with only 2 stacks of TNT, so I'm pretty happy there.

danzibr
2020-08-08, 11:20 AM
The resource cost to TNT mining isn't really a big deal for me since I have a hostile mob farm that gives me plenty of gunpowder (not to mention that the witch farm should give me a large amount of gunpowder as well assuming I ever finish digging out the perimeter for it). A bigger concern for me is fighting lava, which is why I'm a little leery about bed mining. Given my experiences thus far, I just don't really like the idea of being at ground zero for a blast that opens up a 3x3 hole in the ceiling of the tunnel full of lava.

On the bright side, last night I managed to uncover about 19 ancient debris with only 2 stacks of TNT, so I'm pretty happy there.
Grats!

You’re really quite safe from the blast. I have a 2x2 tunnel, every 8 blocks dig all the way in chest level, then knock out one by the feet, dig one more in, put a bed as far as possible. Not once had lava spill on me, don’t think it’s possible (sometimes fire though).

Alabenson
2020-08-14, 06:52 PM
I think I may have gone a little crazy.
I'm currently building an automated sugarcane farm which, when completed, will have room for 2800 plants harvested by a pair of flying machines and will be able to either store the sugarcane as it is or automatically convert it into bone meal depending on my needs and the fullness of the storage system. Why am I building a farm which will provide me with vastly more sugarcane than I could ever possibly need? Because I have too much cobblestone and needed a project to use it on.

MonkeySage
2020-09-16, 08:43 PM
I run a server, MidgardCraft, for some friends of mine, and when the update came out I upgraded the server, resetting the nether. Together with those friends we've explored the nether, built castles, found a woodland mansion, killed the enderdragon, and got ourselves each a set of wings. We continue to explore and build on this server.

And as of last night, I decided to create a new server as well: Betagard. Since my friends came into minecraft fairly late, they've never experienced Beta Minecraft until now! We're on b1.1_02. :smallbiggrin:

danzibr
2020-10-12, 02:37 AM
tl;dr: in survival, what's your preferred method for getting exp?

First of all, I'm playing 1.16.20 on my phone, Bedrock edition.

I always seem short on experience so I thought hey, I'll follow a YouTube tutorial, get some fast exp. I tried a couple different videos, learned after the fact they use some sort of exploit (0 tick), seemingly got patched out (really difficult to find confirmation on this though... some claim it still works, others claim it doesn't). So then I built this massive (for me) mob farm, where the mobs fall down, almost deck, you hit their ankles, they die. But... it's still really slow.

trust
2020-10-12, 05:04 AM
I used to play a lot, but i think it got me bored...
I sometimes still watch Let's Plays on YouTube but just to see what's new in the game :)
I think unfortunatly the big hype around this game is over...

noob
2020-10-12, 04:51 PM
Sometimes I play minecraft but mostly 1.7.2.
It is quite a sad thing that minecraft does not have more backwards compatibility with mods and that it becomes slower and more performance hungry over time.
It is so bad that adding all the content of modern minecraft in 1.2.5 as a mod would make a minecraft that runs faster.

OracleofWuffing
2020-10-12, 04:54 PM

I always seem short on experience so I thought hey, I'll follow a YouTube tutorial, get some fast exp. I tried a couple different videos, learned after the fact they use some sort of exploit (0 tick), seemingly got patched out (really difficult to find confirmation on this though... some claim it still works, others claim it doesn't). So then I built this massive (for me) mob farm, where the mobs fall down, almost deck, you hit their ankles, they die. But... it's still really slow.
Yeah, mob farm's my go-to. Depending on the mobs, you could use splash potions to make the killing go faster. Off to the side, have some chicken coops automate dispensing eggs in to a compact area, so you have a chicken spawner, too. Maybe a little tree farm and a wall of furnaces so that you can knock down trees for endless charcoal production while you wait for mobs to spawn and chicks to grow.

If you can trap villagers so they aren't always running all over the place, and are lucky enough to score a good amount of Librarians and Farmers, cycling back and forth selling and buying items works as a passive investment, too.

When I don't have the infrastructure to do any of those... Nether Quartz Ore is somewhat easy to find, and drops an okay amount of experience.

Ortho
2020-10-12, 05:19 PM

My preferred method is to set up a giant villager trading hall, create an iron farm, and then trade iron ingots to the armorers, toolsmiths, and weaponsmiths.

A melon farm and farmer villagers will also work in a pinch.

danzibr
2020-10-12, 10:44 PM
Yeah, mob farm's my go-to. Depending on the mobs, you could use splash potions to make the killing go faster. Off to the side, have some chicken coops automate dispensing eggs in to a compact area, so you have a chicken spawner, too. Maybe a little tree farm and a wall of furnaces so that you can knock down trees for endless charcoal production while you wait for mobs to spawn and chicks to grow.

If you can trap villagers so they aren't always running all over the place, and are lucky enough to score a good amount of Librarians and Farmers, cycling back and forth selling and buying items works as a passive investment, too.

When I don't have the infrastructure to do any of those... Nether Quartz Ore is somewhat easy to find, and drops an okay amount of experience.

My preferred method is to set up a giant villager trading hall, create an iron farm, and then trade iron ingots to the armorers, toolsmiths, and weaponsmiths.

A melon farm and farmer villagers will also work in a pinch.
Thanks for the responses, folks! You bring some light into this dark world.

Your comments make me realize... I was looking for a one-stop shop, a magic pill. I realize now that's not the way to go, the solution is several not-so-magical pills, then divide your attention among them.

Destro_Yersul
2020-10-13, 01:10 AM
Sadly my go-to involves mods, so while it is a one-stop magic pill, it's not something that would be available to you if you're pure vanilla.

Alabenson
2020-10-13, 01:38 PM

Until recently I'd been using a blaze farm for my xp, but recently I've switched to using a gold farm instead (specifically a slightly modified version of RaysWorks design) and that's been working much faster. (Note, I play on Java edition, and I'm not familiar with all the differences farm-wise between that and Bedrock)
Regarding using a mob farm, my experience has been that if you want decent rates then you either have to do a massive amount of spawnproofing, build the entire structure very high up in the air, or both. Otherwise, the rates much faster than you'd expect.

Edit:
It turns out that you can't build on top of the Nether in Bedrock, which means building a gold farm like what I'm using would be much more difficult, since it would require constructing a full perimeter inside of the the Nether. Not an impossible task, but it would definitely be a massive undertaking.

noob
2020-10-13, 04:54 PM
Did they nerf portal spam gold farms?

druid91
2020-10-15, 07:08 AM
Y'know. Now I kind of wonder what happened to the GiTP minecraft server.

DigoDragon
2020-10-15, 12:53 PM
Mob farms are my usual way to rack up the exp, but I did set up a few villagers to have a nifty trade run-- I collect sweet berries from my berry farm and trade it to a couple maxed butchers for emeralds, then trade the emeralds to the priest for bottles of enchanting.

Now I have exp in storage for exp emergencies.

Alabenson
2020-10-15, 05:02 PM
Did they nerf portal spam gold farms?

I haven't seen anything to suggest that they were nerfed, I think it's just that the potential rates for magma ring-style builds are so much higher that that's all anyone's been building since 1.16 came out

danzibr
2020-10-15, 11:19 PM
Mob farms are my usual way to rack up the exp, but I did set up a few villagers to have a nifty trade run-- I collect sweet berries from my berry farm and trade it to a couple maxed butchers for emeralds, then trade the emeralds to the priest for bottles of enchanting.

Now I have exp in storage for exp emergencies.
I love it!

New goal.

danzibr
2020-10-24, 10:41 PM
I did indeed make efforts to do the villager berry -> emerald -> bottle o' enchanting setup, but I'm struggling, could use help.

Kidnapped some villagers which never had a job, got 'em zombified, restored them, moved them to a new village, got them a bed and a job... and no discount (from either). What gives?

Playing on vanilla Bedrock 1.16.

(btw I was going to ask in like the r/Minecraft weekly question thread, but it turns out there is no such thing)

EDIT: For clarification, a while ago (but I think still in 1.16), I had a farmer I un-zombified, will now give 1 emerald per potato, been using him for a long time. Unsure why he's giving the rad discount but the others aren't.

Alabenson
2020-10-27, 08:00 AM
I did indeed make efforts to do the villager berry -> emerald -> bottle o' enchanting setup, but I'm struggling, could use help.

Kidnapped some villagers which never had a job, got 'em zombified, restored them, moved them to a new village, got them a bed and a job... and no discount (from either). What gives?

Playing on vanilla Bedrock 1.16.

(btw I was going to ask in like the r/Minecraft weekly question thread, but it turns out there is no such thing)

EDIT: For clarification, a while ago (but I think still in 1.16), I had a farmer I un-zombified, will now give 1 emerald per potato, been using him for a long time. Unsure why he's giving the rad discount but the others aren't.

I'm not really sure, but if I had to guess I'd say its possible giving the villagers a new job resets the discount. It's worth noting that whenever I've seen a Youtuber build a trading hall incorporating healing zombified villagers they always set it up to cure them after they've gotten a profession and not before.

On a completely different note, I took a few screenshots of the gold farm I had mentioned earlier if anyone's interested.
https://i.ibb.co/f40dhhy/Gold-Farm-1.png
https://i.ibb.co/ZTxdkvQ/Gold-Farm-2.png
https://i.ibb.co/8Dtnbgr/Gold-Farm-3.png
https://i.ibb.co/Pzr7hfz/Gold-Farm-4.png

danzibr
2020-10-27, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the input!

And nice gold farm!

I did something a little different, per YouTube. Got a buncha villagers nearby, zombified one in the middle, cured it. Discounts, yay.

Supposedly only lasts 4 hours... which is weird, because I have one dude I've been extorting for waaaaay more than 4 hours. Regardless, I'm pleased, have an absolute ton of emeralds.

EDIT: Man, feels downright like cheating. Trading a stick for an enchanted diamond sword?

Alabenson
2020-11-18, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the input!

And nice gold farm!

I did something a little different, per YouTube. Got a buncha villagers nearby, zombified one in the middle, cured it. Discounts, yay.

Supposedly only lasts 4 hours... which is weird, because I have one dude I've been extorting for waaaaay more than 4 hours. Regardless, I'm pleased, have an absolute ton of emeralds.

EDIT: Man, feels downright like cheating. Trading a stick for an enchanted diamond sword?

Substitute a stick for rotten flesh and you pretty much have the basis for my own infinite diamond project.

On an unrelated note, my constant farm-construction has left me with an odd problem; I have more gunpowder than I know what to do with.

Tvtyrant
2020-11-18, 07:02 PM
Substitute a stick for rotten flesh and you pretty much have the basis for my own infinite diamond project.

On an unrelated note, my constant farm-construction has left me with an odd problem; I have more gunpowder than I know what to do with.

"As the size of an explosion increases the number of social problems it can solve approaches zero..
And that would be wrong."

danzibr
2020-11-18, 11:18 PM
Please, do tell.

When it comes to villagers and diamonds, I’m only aware of getting diamond gear, which can’t be converted into diamonds.

noob
2020-11-19, 01:30 PM
Please, do tell.

When it comes to villagers and diamonds, I’m only aware of getting diamond gear, which can’t be converted into diamonds.

In term of diamond spending stuff you need only one enchanting table outside of diamond gear for all your fighting needs.

danzibr
2020-11-19, 02:18 PM
In term of diamond spending stuff you need only one enchanting table outside of diamond gear for all your fighting needs.
Ahh, but I have more than fighting needs. I want a massive pile to build a beacon or a palace out of.

Alabenson
2020-11-19, 03:29 PM
Please, do tell.

I hate to disappoint, but diamond gear was what I was referring to, in bulk quantities (I'm still leveling up my villagers, but I've already got nearly a shulker boxes' worth of diamond hoes from the toolsmiths).

danzibr
2020-11-19, 11:39 PM
I hate to disappoint, but diamond gear was what I was referring to, in bulk quantities (I'm still leveling up my villagers, but I've already got nearly a shulker boxes' worth of diamond hoes from the toolsmiths).
Sounds good! Not disappointing.

I have a similar thing going. Saves a *ton* of diamonds. In particular, I play on a server with my wife and kids. We recently barely killed the wither, lost all our junk. It fell on me to make all our gear. 4 of everything, except 8 chests and pants (1 with Protection IV and one with Fire Protection IV).

Alabenson
2020-11-20, 08:11 AM
Sounds good! Not disappointing.

I have a similar thing going. Saves a *ton* of diamonds. In particular, I play on a server with my wife and kids. We recently barely killed the wither, lost all our junk. It fell on me to make all our gear. 4 of everything, except 8 chests and pants (1 with Protection IV and one with Fire Protection IV).

If you need an easy way to kill the wither, you can spawn it on an obsidian platform underneath the bedrock exit portal in the end. It traps the wither and basically gives you a free kill.

On an entirely different note, I am currently working on yet another farm. To give you a hint as to what I'm building, thus far, the portion I've constructed has required 11 observers, 11 droppers, 11 dispensers, 11 comparators, 22 hoppers, 44 repeaters, and 165 redstone dust.

If you guessed that I've built the bone meal dispensing system for a flower farm, then you're as crazy as I am (and also correct).

danzibr
2020-11-20, 09:13 AM
If you need an easy way to kill the wither, you can spawn it on an obsidian platform underneath the bedrock exit portal in the end. It traps the wither and basically gives you a free kill.

On an entirely different note, I am currently working on yet another farm. To give you a hint as to what I'm building, thus far, the portion I've constructed has required 11 observers, 11 droppers, 11 dispensers, 11 comparators, 22 hoppers, 44 repeaters, and 165 redstone dust.

If you guessed that I've built the bone meal dispensing system for a flower farm, then you're as crazy as I am (and also correct).
Thanks for the pointer!

Last time we faced it in a cave. Didn’t want it to fly away. Big mistake. Next time, going to dig out a 20x20 area or so down to bedrock.

JNAProductions
2020-12-26, 12:59 PM
So, I recently made a server for the latest DW20 pack.

I want to do Let's Plays on it, but I don't want to do them alone. My local friend's computer has issues running Minecraft properly, so was wondering if any Playgrounders wanted in on some LP action.

Destro_Yersul
2020-12-26, 09:47 PM
What time? I don't know how much free time I'll have, but I've been wanting to do some minecraft again.

JNAProductions
2020-12-26, 09:58 PM
What time? I don't know how much free time I'll have, but I've been wanting to do some minecraft again.

Mondays for sure.

Other days depending on schedule. You got a Discord?

I’m at work right now, but we can talk more in private :)

JNAProductions
2021-01-01, 10:06 AM
First episode of DW20 Redux is live! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojy5fZI9wGg&ab_channel=RedandBurnerproductions)

I've got the first ten recorded already, but I didn't want to upload more than one a day.

oxybe
2021-01-08, 02:33 AM
Just finished making a villager farm and subsequent iron golem farm, both confirmed working on my modded world. first time trying since 1.14, so definitely some new stuff to learn. thank you YouTube!

I can now start setting up a Trading House for stuff like enchanted books and emeralds.

danzibr
2021-01-16, 11:23 PM
Started a new server.

Got my trading hall set up. Whole buncha villagers with their professions locked in, 15 blocks from a central zombie villager to be healed.

What this did previously... gave all of the outer ones a mega discount. Like give 1 coal get 1 emerald kinda discount. Consistently worked, all of them.

Now instead of the default 16 coal or whatever, it's 15.

Friggin' updates.

Erloas
2021-01-17, 12:50 AM
Meh, it's pretty much a non-issue in my opinion. In the community servers I played on once a trading hall was set up emeralds became a non-issue. Chests full of them, people decorating with emerald blocks, etc, just because it was so easy to get them from. With so many infinite resources that can be traded for them.
You can also get a discount if you save the village from a pillager raid, I think it's the same discount, not sure if they stack.

danzibr
2021-01-18, 03:13 AM
Meh, it's pretty much a non-issue in my opinion. In the community servers I played on once a trading hall was set up emeralds became a non-issue. Chests full of them, people decorating with emerald blocks, etc, just because it was so easy to get them from. With so many infinite resources that can be traded for them.
You can also get a discount if you save the village from a pillager raid, I think it's the same discount, not sure if they stack.
You know man, I'm inclined to agree.

Initially I was all bummed out, I was wanting to sprint to the finish, get some good gear for cheap, then proceed with the other typical MC stuff, like clearing out a spooky mansion, underwater temple, nether, etc.

But now, with the purify-LoS-mega-discount thing not working, I had to way slow down what I was doing. But it's also forcing me to stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

Alabenson
2021-01-20, 08:41 PM
Speaking of roses, because apparently I felt I didn't have enough stress in my life, I've decided to build a wither rose farm. For those uninitiated, this requires capturing and effectively taming a Wither.

ShneekeyTheLost
2021-01-21, 12:45 PM
Speaking of roses, because apparently I felt I didn't have enough stress in my life, I've decided to build a wither rose farm. For those uninitiated, this requires capturing and effectively taming a Wither.

Vanilla or modded? Because if modded, it gets to be... pretty trivial.

Alabenson
2021-01-21, 08:06 PM
Vanilla or modded? Because if modded, it gets to be... pretty trivial.

Everything I do is almost entirely vanilla. The only mod I use is Optifine, mostly for the zoom and the ability to turn off the nether fog.

danzibr
2021-01-21, 11:27 PM
Hmmmm maybe I should ask elsewhere, but I discovered a problem/am looking for advice.

Is there (in the latest bedrock version) something which can keep a villager from giving the major positive gossip discount? I purified the same villager 3 times, gave it a profession, 0 discount. Twice. Had access to bed and profession block.

OracleofWuffing
2021-01-22, 03:46 PM
Swimming through the bug tracker, there's a recent one (https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCPE-113481) saying that if there are any nearby villagers or zombie villagers, you don't get the discount. There's not much information given, so take it with a bit of salt as it might be a mistaken entry, but it sounds possible you might be running into that.

Edit: Wait, reading through the Minecraft Wiki, the gossip system is only in Java Edition. Are you mixing up mechanics?

danzibr
2021-01-22, 11:18 PM
Swimming through the bug tracker, there's a recent one (https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCPE-113481) saying that if there are any nearby villagers or zombie villagers, you don't get the discount. There's not much information given, so take it with a bit of salt as it might be a mistaken entry, but it sounds possible you might be running into that.

Edit: Wait, reading through the Minecraft Wiki, the gossip system is only in Java Edition. Are you mixing up mechanics?
Thanks!

I thought as of 1.16.100 or something bedrock mirrored Java in that regard.

Leon
2021-01-27, 03:37 AM
Have been playing ye old Crash Landing pack sporadically over the past year, i had a look see at the newer stuff to the live game but these days i need certain mods to consider playing again (Tinkers Construct among several others) and i don't believe they are current with whatever the nominal mod version is at.

noob
2021-01-27, 06:19 AM
Tinker construct adds a lot of variety in the tools but what I do not really like is that tinker tools are significantly stronger than normal tools and that the equivalent of enchanting tinker tools costs only resources many of them being common (looking at you quartz for sharpness and redstone for efficiency)
I think a variant of tinker construct that replaces modifying with allowing to enchant the tools and have significantly lower stats on the tools and have level costs on repairing enchanted tools would be way better balanced relatively to vanilla(No longer going around with a 11 dmg super fast hitting rapier you can repair to full with one ingot of manylunium or with a long sword that literally kills in one hit normal monsters and allows long range jumps).

Destro_Yersul
2021-01-27, 08:19 AM
So what you're saying, is you want to remove all the reasons we want the mod?

noob
2021-01-27, 08:24 AM
So what you're saying, is you want to remove all the reasons we want the mod?

No you would still be able to customise the tool by picking the materials you want for the varied parts(Just remove the modifying mechanic that is just "enchanting but easier").
And you could still have the more varied tools(like a fast hitting lower damage sword).
If what you wanted from TC was "get the enchantments you want" then you might as well have played with the mod that allows to pick the enchantments you want when enchanting and there is a lot of mods that adds tools purely better than vanilla ones just for increasing power so those reasons to play TC are not reasons fundamental to TC.
Also I really like the crafting table which does not drops its contents(although there is other mods for that but they usually adds tons of other automation).

JNAProductions
2021-01-27, 12:21 PM
No you would still be able to customise the tool by picking the materials you want for the varied parts(Just remove the modifying mechanic that is just "enchanting but easier").
And you could still have the more varied tools(like a fast hitting lower damage sword).
If what you wanted from TC was "get the enchantments you want" then you might as well have played with the mod that allows to pick the enchantments you want when enchanting and there is a lot of mods that adds tools purely better than vanilla ones just for increasing power so those reasons to play TC are not reasons fundamental to TC.
Also I really like the crafting table which does not drops its contents(although there is other mods for that but they usually adds tons of other automation).

I think you're looking for Tetra. Similar to Tinker's, but with Enchants instead of material upgrades. (Well, in addition to-but material upgrades are much more limited than Tinker's.)

Destro_Yersul
2021-01-27, 01:15 PM
I like that Tinker's lets me make ludicrously overpowered stuff and then enchant it but not to make it even moreso. Machine gun crossbows with regenerating ammo are where it's at.

Oh, and the lumber axe and hammer. Those are a must.

OracleofWuffing
2021-01-27, 05:19 PM
Crash Landing's a 1.6 pack, right? Tinker's Construct got a noticeable overhaul (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NXCKqD439v_Yy0x4GE4BAoAwNoxR5o4NUPKe_b1vkAw/edit#gid=0) in 1.8 and onwards (Looks like the most recent version is for Minecraft 1.12). A Tinker's Construct weapon or tool that's well-made will still last you the whole game and then some, but they lost a lot of the overkill without installing additional mods on top of it. There's a lot more focus on the properties of your Tool Materials than what you get from modifiers, and you don't get Extra Modifiers from expensive modifiers (What was it... Nether Star, Golden Apple+Diamond Block, and... Diamond and Gold Block?) any more. Well, there's Embossment, which kinda lets you make a Tool Material property into an Extra Modifier, but it's strictly once per item.

And, well, if your tool isn't well-made, it has built in part replacement now, at least.

Leon
2021-02-01, 09:03 AM
Its less about making a powerful tool and more for the convenience that everything in the mod brings. Like the Smeltery.

I love to mine so having a pick that gets better the more i dig with it makes much more sense to me than sitting in a booklined room and throwing exp and lapis at endless diamond pickaxes trying to get the best one for what i want. Well aware on what TC gets up to in more modern versions, Crash Landing however is what has been fun most recently to play.

Erloas
2021-02-01, 12:50 PM
I love to mine so having a pick that gets better the more i dig with it makes much more sense to me than sitting in a booklined room and throwing exp and lapis at endless diamond pickaxes trying to get the best one for what i want. Well aware on what TC gets up to in more modern versions, Crash Landing however is what has been fun most recently to play.
I haven't been playing MC that long ago, how long ago has it been since you've played vanilla? You only need need two pickaxes to get everything you could possibly want on them. It would require a villager hall, but those are pretty easy and straight forward to do, if a bit time consuming to set up. The enchanting table only makes the first step a little faster, but I've had plenty of items where I just skipped that entirely.

I'm a bit of two minds on a lot of mods. Some are very helpful for basic things that don't really change the game, most client side mods, just take the edge off some situations. There are others that it basically feels like "why don't you just play in creative." There are others too that basically change it into a completely different game just using the MC ascetics and engine.

Destro_Yersul
2021-02-01, 06:56 PM
I'm a bit of two minds on a lot of mods. Some are very helpful for basic things that don't really change the game, most client side mods, just take the edge off some situations. There are others that it basically feels like "why don't you just play in creative."

So this is an interesting question. I like the mods I think you're talking about, where it lets you mine and gather tons of stuff, and use it to then build whatever you might want. I like playing on Peaceful mode, and having alternate ways to gather mob drops, and not needing to worry about going to mine more iron. So why don't I just play in creative?

I don't know. But I don't want to. I want there to be a process of setting things up involved. Sure, it's basically creative with extra steps... but I think the extra steps are what makes it feel meaningful? It's one thing to use creative to fill a swimming pool with molten gold, but it's another entirely to build a nuclear-powered mining laser array to generate an absurdly large amount of gold, melt it down, and then fill the swimming pool.

noob
2021-02-02, 04:00 AM
I haven't been playing MC that long ago, how long ago has it been since you've played vanilla? You only need need two pickaxes to get everything you could possibly want on them. It would require a villager hall, but those are pretty easy and straight forward to do, if a bit time consuming to set up. The enchanting table only makes the first step a little faster, but I've had plenty of items where I just skipped that entirely.

I'm a bit of two minds on a lot of mods. Some are very helpful for basic things that don't really change the game, most client side mods, just take the edge off some situations. There are others that it basically feels like "why don't you just play in creative." There are others too that basically change it into a completely different game just using the MC ascetics and engine.

Vanilla creative lacks a bunch of tools.
Like you need commands to flatten things over a wide surface instantly while some mods provide that in tool form that can then be used at will(ex: blood magic).
There is a bunch of other things mods makes more convenient than just having creative.

danzibr
2021-03-10, 12:49 PM
Red stone tutorial favor to ask.

Anyone know of a video that explains how to make a single double triple flush vertical sticky piston?

I mean like this:

Extended:
X
OX
OOX
ZOO
ZZO
ZZZ

Retracted:
XXX
OOO
ZZZ

Where X is the junk on the sticky piston, O is the sticky piston, Z is... other stuff (including certainly other sticky pistons). Oh, flush means 1-wide. I watched a few videos, but didn’t find exactly this.

OracleofWuffing
2021-03-10, 03:04 PM
:smallconfused: I'm used to "flush" meaning that the build fits into an existing wall, floor, or ceiling without protruding or dangling out.

I think you're looking for Pop-Up Stairs, but most of the builds I've seen use a wall to push out the third and fourth steps. I started thinking of something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8WKs2yUbQ), but then you'd need a triple piston extender at the end if you want that extra block. I think this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFWSxF9NLxI) does that, but I'm having trouble connecting the two in my head.

danzibr
2021-03-10, 11:31 PM
:smallconfused: I'm used to "flush" meaning that the build fits into an existing wall, floor, or ceiling without protruding or dangling out.

I think you're looking for Pop-Up Stairs, but most of the builds I've seen use a wall to push out the third and fourth steps. I started thinking of something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8WKs2yUbQ), but then you'd need a triple piston extender at the end if you want that extra block. I think this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFWSxF9NLxI) does that, but I'm having trouble connecting the two in my head.
Exactly! Thanks so much :D

I found another video with a one-wide triple vertical sticky piston thingy with the moving block on the end, might be able to butt those two up against each other... if the spacing works out.

It’s really just the first video you linked, but I want the entrance 3 tall, for reasons.

Even if it doesn’t work, I’ll settle for the 2 tall. Thanks again :)

EDIT: Alright, at a laptop now (rather than my phone), can actually provide some useful links.

Here (https://youtu.be/7ibFUXnVQQk?t=285)'s an upside down double-next-to-triple extender, one-sided. It's pretty compact, seems to me you could slap a single next to it, get exactly what I want... but upside down.

Here (https://youtu.be/WPQXj5xjGGA?t=113)'s a super compact double vertical extender. Again, I believe you could slap a single next to it, get the staircase linked earlier but much smaller.

But now my problem is... I can't flip the first one up to down, and I can't seem to find a vertical triple that would butt up to the compact double. In particular, all the *vertical* triples I saw were *not* flush.

EDIT EDIT: Ha! I found the flush vertical triple here (https://youtu.be/THp8JetExMU?t=7). Now to get to "work."

EDIT^3: Blargh, the compact double extender doesn't work in 1.16.

danzibr
2021-03-12, 11:51 PM
4 edits felt like too much :P

Apparently sticky pistons were never meant to drop their block, so to speak, and this is super hard (but not impossible) to do in Bedrock.

Which is great knowledge... so when I watch a video on double/triple extenders, they need to *stay* extended...

Actually, that doesn't make sense. Shouldn't it be constant redstone current->stuff stays extended? So I'd need a lever rather than a button, for example.

... so I really don't know why this exact setup (https://youtu.be/WPQXj5xjGGA?t=79) doesn't work for me (1.16 Bedrock).

OracleofWuffing
2021-03-13, 03:08 AM
I don't think we'll be able to help much without seeing pictures of what you're working on, but yes, getting sticky pistons to "spit out" their blocks is a Java-Edition only thing, and Mojang has generally decided they won't be bringing that to Bedrock but the Java version will keep it (same goes for redstone quasi-connectivity). Unfortunately, you will need to seek out advice that specifically states it's for Bedrock Edition there, sorry for forgetting you're using it.

As far as the video with the setup that's not working for you, the author calls out in the comments that it's only for Java version. He says to check this other video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgp2l_mNuzs) for Bedrock. I don't think you could make that into a staircase, though... I guess you could swap out the sandstone block above the side-attached redstone torch for a piston facing upwards, but you won't have a block on it to match the surrounding area.

My head keeps trying to think of using sand or concrete powder for your blocks above the pistons, so gravity could help you retract the blocks... But I can't think of a good way to get the blocks up for it to actually work.

danzibr
2021-03-13, 05:02 AM
I don't think we'll be able to help much without seeing pictures of what you're working on, but yes, getting sticky pistons to "spit out" their blocks is a Java-Edition only thing, and Mojang has generally decided they won't be bringing that to Bedrock but the Java version will keep it (same goes for redstone quasi-connectivity). Unfortunately, you will need to seek out advice that specifically states it's for Bedrock Edition there, sorry for forgetting you're using it.

As far as the video with the setup that's not working for you, the author calls out in the comments that it's only for Java version. He says to check this other video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgp2l_mNuzs) for Bedrock. I don't think you could make that into a staircase, though... I guess you could swap out the sandstone block above the side-attached redstone torch for a piston facing upwards, but you won't have a block on it to match the surrounding area.

My head keeps trying to think of using sand or concrete powder for your blocks above the pistons, so gravity could help you retract the blocks... But I can't think of a good way to get the blocks up for it to actually work.
Thanks a bunch!

K, I’m thinking a triple retractable staircase isn’t physically possible (like, space wise in Bedrock), but I think I can make a more compact version than what’s in the video a couple comments up.

Can’t really work on it now... but I’ll report my progress in the next couple of days.

Edit: what the heck. Bedrock sticky pistons can indeed spit out their load. Blargh red stone is frustrating.