PDA

View Full Version : Ways for a Spellweaver to get more low-level spells out of higher-level spell slots?

TalonOfAnathrax
2020-07-19, 02:32 PM
Title says it all. I'm making spellweaver builds that cast 6 level 1 spells per round, augmented with metamagic to make them hit harder and carry rider debuffs. It's mostly Magic Missile and Grease spamming at this point, but I think it'll neatly counter one of my more overconfident PCs (and will likely instantly kill the party's wizard, but they'll just rezz him and I want to scare the players a little).
However, I'd like to give the spellweaver more level 1 spell slots. He's got a Ring of Wizardry I as part of his treasure and doesn't have much money left.

Is there some sort of Feat, spell or rule to split high-level spell slots into lower-level spell slots? Or to cast multiple low-level spells out of a single higher-level spell slot?

Zanos
2020-07-19, 02:42 PM
Arcane Transfiguration(Lost Empires of Faerun) is a feat that allows you to split up to three spell slots into any configuration of lower level slots that add up to it's spell level.

Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer is a 4th level wizard spell that allows you to prepare up to 3 levels of spells. Worse than the above, but not limited by any number of uses per day other than 4th level slots, and doesn't cost a feat.

You can always prepare a lower level spell in a higher level slot.

2020-07-19, 02:52 PM
It's not quite what you're looking for, given the particular situation, but the Echoing Spell metamagic is designed for something along these lines. +3 metamagic in exchange for getting extra casts of a lower-level spell throughout the day, based on gradually-lowering CL. If you start with a particularly high CL, you can get quite a bit of low-level utility from a mid-level slot. But there's like...an hour cooldown, IIRC, before you can cast the Echoing spell again, so that's not gonna help you.

What you really need, I think, is something like the Spell Points system from UA, where you just have a pool of points you can spend on whatever spells you want. I think there's issues with that path too though?

Darg
2020-07-19, 04:12 PM
The Girallon's Blessing spell gives 2 extra arms per the duration. The Girallon Arms totem bind could possibly give another 2 if the flavor text is taken literally.

Other than than that, you can use some metamagic cheese. Sanctum spell reduces spell level by one when casting outside your sanctum which automatically can double the amount of casts you could make as they are now considered cantrips.

Tvtyrant
2020-07-20, 02:56 PM
Title says it all. I'm making spellweaver builds that cast 6 level 1 spells per round, augmented with metamagic to make them hit harder and carry rider debuffs. It's mostly Magic Missile and Grease spamming at this point, but I think it'll neatly counter one of my more overconfident PCs (and will likely instantly kill the party's wizard, but they'll just rezz him and I want to scare the players a little).
However, I'd like to give the spellweaver more level 1 spell slots. He's got a Ring of Wizardry I as part of his treasure and doesn't have much money left.

Is there some sort of Feat, spell or rule to split high-level spell slots into lower-level spell slots? Or to cast multiple low-level spells out of a single higher-level spell slot?

Arcane fusion lets you use a higher level slot to cast multiple lower level slots.

Darg
2020-07-20, 04:42 PM
Arcane fusion lets you use a higher level slot to cast multiple lower level slots.

Spellweaver uses its arms per spell level of spells being cast. That means Arcane Fusion would use 5 arms without sanctum spell. Unless he goes off the deep end with cheese, it's probably not going to be worth it in that regard. It's fantastic for efficiency though.

Cruiser1
2020-07-20, 05:03 PM
Triadspell (SpC) is a Clr5 spell which allows you to cast a prepared 3rd level slot or lower three times before it's expended. This is somewhat similar to the Echoing Spell metamagic already mentioned, which also allows you to cast a spell more than once. Put metamagic such as Repeat Spell on Triadspell and/or the spell slot it's cast upon to get even more use out of it. :smalltongue: