PDA

View Full Version : Warforged?

Jasper Snowe
2007-10-30, 01:32 AM
I am starting a campaign and one of my players loves to stretch the character possibilties as much as he can. He wishes to play a construct-like character as a sorcerer. I came to the conclusion that the best way to pull this off was for him to be a warforged. Unfortunately, I have none of the Eberron handbooks so I have no solid information of how this would be possible. Currently, I have tried to create my own version by using information gathered from the MM. I've looked through the stats of several constructs, mostly the Inevitables, and creatures of similar size, but it is still difficult.

Any help would be appreciated.

Xaros
2007-10-30, 01:38 AM
I'm pretty sure that Warforged are in MM3. I wouldn't recommend a sorcerer too strongly, as the 'Forged get a charisma penalty, though.

Temp
2007-10-30, 01:52 AM
You might keep an eye on Alter Self. I'm not sure what sorts of Constructs there are below 6 HD, but don't hesitate to ban it if he comes up with something abusive.

I know that's sort of a given rule, but it might deserve re-emphasis. I don't know.

Aquillion
2007-10-30, 02:03 AM
I vaguely recall there actually being a special sorcerer of warforged, intended to be sorcerers. I don't recall if they still got the cha penalty, though.

Anyway, you could always houserule something. It's not like there's anything inherently broken about a warforged sorcerer who gets a penalty to something else instead of Cha (and it makes sense, since they were specifically designed to be a sorcerer.) They'll be able to heal themselves, but warforged wizards could do that anyway.

Doresain
2007-10-30, 01:12 PM
i say keep the CHA penalty...it adds flavor

SoD
2007-10-30, 01:31 PM
There's reasoning for the penalty to charisma. They are essentially macheines, albeit sentient macheines. However, being macheines, they don't understand a lot of 'human' concepts, which could or could not include and may or may not be limited to social ettiquette, and other such things.

Valairn
2007-10-30, 01:44 PM
On a side note, what the heck does social grace have anything to do with making the laws of the universe bow at your whim?

Alex12
2007-10-30, 01:47 PM
On a side note, what the heck does social grace have anything to do with making the laws of the universe bow at your whim?

You have to ask nicely, or they won't do it, duh.:smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Green Bean
2007-10-30, 01:48 PM

Charisma applies to general force of personality. It allows you to force your will upon the elemental forces of magic.

SoD
2007-10-30, 01:57 PM
Very good, I was refuring to the charisma penalty in general, not the spellcasting abilities.

SilverClawShift
2007-10-30, 02:00 PM
There are plenty of ways to make the laws of the universe bow to your whim. One of the ways is to be so darned charismatic that the universe says "That sounds like a good idea, yeah". If you're lacking in charisma, maybe join the local wizard academy instead :smallwink:

Enzario
2007-10-30, 02:01 PM
You may also want to keep in mind that warforged, due to their inherent construction, have an arcane spell failure chance. It's small, but it's there, and that could be a major pain in the a** in the long run.

For the player, I mean.

Wonderpus
2007-10-30, 02:12 PM
You may also want to keep in mind that warforged, due to their inherent construction, have an arcane spell failure chance. It's small, but it's there, and that could be a major pain in the a** in the long run.

You can get around this with the "unarmored body" 1st level feat (Races of Eberron). But if the OP doesn't have the Eberron books...

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-30, 02:18 PM
There's a feat for Warforged that removes their built-in armor and, therefore, their Arcane Spell Failure chance ("Unarmored Body", Races of Eberron).

If you don't want to buy the Eberron Campaign Setting, Warforged information can be found in the Monster Manual III and Races of Eberron.

Jasper Snowe
2007-10-30, 02:24 PM
I have already come up with ideas and some rules that will work to explain how everything works. The only thing I need is a base to create the character around, and I do not have the MM3 nor know anyone who does. Is there anywhere I could look to find what I need?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-30, 02:30 PM
Well, the stats are Product identity, and don't seem to be listed on the WotC site. What I can legally give you is the Living Construct Subtype (Warforged are Construct(Living Construct) type), because it is in the WotC glossary here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_livingconstructsubtype&alpha=).

A living construct is a new subtype of construct, a created being given sentience and free will through powerful and complex creation enchantments. Living constructs combine aspects of both constructs and living creatures, as detailed below.

Features: A living construct derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.

Traits: A living construct possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry).

* Unlike other constructs, a living construct has a Constitution score. A living construct does not gain bonus hit points by size but gains (or loses) bonus hit points through a Constitution bonus (or penalty) as with other living creatures.
* Unlike other constructs, a living construct does not have low-light vision or darkvision.
* Unlike other constructs, a living construct is not immune to mind-influencing effects.
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain.
* A living construct cannot heal damage naturally.
* Unlike other constructs, living constructs are subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fort save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.
* Unlike other constructs, a living construct can use the run action.
* Living constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a living construct can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a living construct is vulnerable to a harm spell. However, spells from the healing subschool provide only half effect to a living construct.
* A living construct responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A living construct with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a living construct is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert living construct does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.
* Can be raised or resurrected.
* Does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions.
* Does not need to sleep, but must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

Source: MM3

Warforged basically get ability adjustments, a set of built-in armor, and a slam attack on top of that. The subtype should be sufficient for your homebrewing purposes, I think.