PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A question on the artificer and magic item creation

Odessa333
2020-07-19, 07:35 PM
So I'm running a high level (current 16, going to 20), high magic game, and we have an artificer. I knew they would be making some items, and I'd likely have to home rule some things for that, and that's fine. Still, I'd trying to keep things somewhat close to the rules here, so I admit their question this week left me scratching my head.

They want to make an item with an infusion ability built in, specifically the repeating shot infusion into a crossbow so it doesn't need ammo. It's a nice idea and I'm inclined to allow it, though I'm not sure how much it should cost or how long it should take. Most of the rules are based on on item rarity (common, uncommon, etc) and that doesn't apply to the infusion. I know stuff like this has existed in past editions, but I don't see anything for 5E to base this off of, and was hoping for some feedback from others.

Thank you for your time!

stoutstien
2020-07-19, 08:52 PM
I'd be more inclined to allow them to 'learn' the recipe for items from replicate magic item lists than be able to reproduce the exclusive infusions but that is just me. In the end it doesn't matter due to being in tier 4. Probably treating them like uncommon rarity for the ones that don't scale and rare for the ones that do is about right.

GeoffWatson
2020-07-20, 04:54 AM
Not needing ammo is pretty minor.
Unless the characters are lost in the wilderness with no way of getting more ammo, it probably won't matter.

I'd say Common, or include it as a freebie on a +1 uncommon crossbow.

Edit: I just had a look at the infusion, and it also removes Loading, which ups the fire rate, so I'd say Uncommon.

Dork_Forge
2020-07-20, 07:19 AM
Personally I'd be inclined to say no, at 15 they have 5 infused items, it just sounds like they're trying to wrangle more of them.

In terms of rating a repeating shot I'd rate it a rare: Uncommon alone is a +1, removing loading is a part of a feat and creating ammo is a ribbon.

stoutstien
2020-07-20, 07:40 AM
Another option is to allow them to copy part of the infusion in mundane ways. So they could make a repeating cross bow that can preloaded up to X bolts. It wouldn't have the magical +1 or create cuts own ammunition but would still let them be crafty.

So they could make a repeating hand crossbow that can hold 3 bolts that can be fired before it needed to be reloaded. Light and heavy having 5 and 10 bolts options.

If the player is looking for ways to use their skills in crafty to provide some extra get up and go to the party have them look into scroll scribing.

Mjolnirbear
2020-07-20, 12:34 PM
Many of the infusions are actually magic items in the DMG. The defense Infusion, arcane focus Infusion, and basic weapon Infusion all directly correlate with +1/+2 weapons, armor, and wand of the war mage. These range from uncommon to very Rare depending on the plus (and the Armour ones are rarer).

I would price it one step rarer from the appropriate weapon Infusion. Second, I'd let knowledge of the Infusion count as knowing the recipe for downtime creation.

The question is more how do you approach downtime. If only one player wants downtime, that player is effectively getting treasure the rest of the party isn't. Better if the whole party gets to engage with downtime for funsies.

Next you want to consider time pressure. Players are supposed to be actively adventuring. Downtime is the opposite of actively adventuring. Downtime costs are notably faster and cheaper for consumables, so safe to allow, but enough time for permanent items should be limited to a couple. It hopefully gently encourages an artificer to focus on items they can't make through infusions for free.

I'd give them enough time to create a rare item. (10 workweeks or 50 days, 2000gp in costs (not including making a recipe or the trophy from a CR 9-12 creature)). It gives meaningful choice; one powerful item, or many cheaper items. All that time spent on creation for something he can also make in an instant after one night's rest, or use the time to make something his infusions don't cover.

Provided of course the other players are interested in downtime options.

Side note: downtime is basically "when adventurers aren't questing". 50 days is a lot especially if there's a time crunch. However, AL offers downtime as a kind of currency, which accumulates during questing and when used is assumed to happen as you adventure. I'm testing a rate of 1/2 day of downtime per adventuring day. The advantage is you can just say "over your adventuring career you guys have had 50 days of downtime, tell me what you did with it and it instantly happens as though you just completed a project you tinkered with for weeks."