PDA

View Full Version : Chronomancer

Thayborne
2020-07-19, 10:07 PM
Years ago I found a Chronomancer build online that intrigued me. I can no longer find it now. The build at about level seven had the power that you would meet yourself. At level ten you stop aging. I would like to have this Chronomancer build. Can somebody provide this build?

Thayborne
2020-07-22, 11:07 AM
Zero result. Why am I not surprised? Thanks for at least reading the post.

nonsi
2020-07-22, 05:47 PM
I believe that the main reason you haven't gotten a response so far is because the description you gave is quite vague.
I don't remember many chronomancers posted here over the last decade and I have no recollection of a 7-level PrC chronomancer at all.
I know it's far from what you're searching for, but being unable to accomodate you request, I'll direct you to my version of a chronomancer (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=18777492&postcount=25). Maybe it'll give you enough to work with to make your own PrC.

Stratovarius
2020-07-28, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure which version of Chronomancer you're looking for (there's a lot of them out there), but mine certainly has some of what you're talking about.

Strat's Chronomancer (https://1drv.ms/b/s!AiRF2tz6n4u1l5AV_FIUUKwXz5BrYw?e=dBIPmU)

Tom Kalbfus
2020-07-29, 10:22 AM
Time travel requires a lot of rules, and those adventures are hard to prepare for, as you don't know at what point in time the PCs are going to end up in.

nonsi
2020-07-29, 01:15 PM
Time travel requires a lot of rules, and those adventures are hard to prepare for, as you don't know at what point in time the PCs are going to end up in.

To prevent abuse, travelling beck should require a level-9-equivalent effect and cost an arm and a leg in character resources.
Here are my thoughts how this should go:

Temporal Distance TraveledTemporal Drift*Chance of Mishap
1 day to 1 month+/- d8 minutes5%
1 month to 1 year+/- d8 hours10%
1 year to 10 years+/- d20 hours15%
10 years to 100 years+/- d8 days20%
100 years to 1,000 years+/- d20 days25%
1,000 years to 2,000** years+/- d20 months30%

* There is a 50% chance that the number is a negative number. Add or subtract the temporal drift to the destination time to determine the exact time of arrival.
** This is as far as you can go back in time with a single activation of this power

Traveling backwards in time makes the traveler(s) experience a blur of all that has transpired from the point of destination to the current moment. This deals a tremendous amount of mental stress and trauma that's expressed in a permanent loss of 1 point to a mental ability score per time frame category, cycling between Wis, Cha and Int (in that order), to a maximum of 2 points loss to each mental ability.
If the power fails (mishap occurs), the intended targets suffer ability drain (recoverable via Restoration) instead of ability loss.
In both cases, the travelers are Stunned for 1 round, then Dazed for 1 round, then shaken for 1d4 rounds.

Thayborne
2020-07-29, 08:48 PM
All of my word searches failed. Nobody in here has a clue. Maybe I do not remember this prestige class build accurately? Maybe it was removed from the web? So now I have a Chronomancer power that allows me to meet myself of the past present or future. What good is this power? How may I benefit from it?

GideonRiddle
2020-07-29, 10:52 PM
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it is a Chronomancer that stops aging at 5th and can pull a future version of himself at 10th.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm3/migdalia/Chronomancer.html

Hope this helps. Chronomancers are a ton of fun. Mine could only hop back a few seconds, allowing re-rolls, but no one remembered the deadly crits he stopped or facilitated.

Thayborne
2020-07-30, 11:45 AM
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it is a Chronomancer that stops aging at 5th and can pull a future version of himself at 10th.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm3/migdalia/Chronomancer.html

Hope this helps. Chronomancers are a ton of fun. Mine could only hop back a few seconds, allowing re-rolls, but no one remembered the deadly crits he stopped or facilitated. This is not the build
nor the power.

Tom Kalbfus
2020-07-30, 12:02 PM
One interesting idea is you could combine Chronomancy with d20 Modern, Past, and Future Urban Arcana. The default setting where the Chronomancer comes from is 1450s to 1480s Europe in England during the War of the Roses. The Chronomancer is either a wizard or a sorcerer, he is a bit of a seer, has predicted the downfall of King Richard III, and that has not made him very popular in royal court. One thing the Chronomancer has realized is that history resists being changed, the bigger the history, the harder it is to change, he could not save King Richard III, nor does he want to as he considers him to be a nasty person.

King Richard III might make for an interesting villain in a Chronomancy campaign, he could get a hold of a magic item which allows him to travel through time himself, or maybe he learns Chronomancy himself. What changes in the timeline do you think Richard III would want to make?

Squire Doodad
2020-07-30, 11:59 PM
This is not the build
nor the power.

Can you specify the build and/or abilities you are thinking of?

Thayborne
2020-07-31, 08:43 PM
Can you specify the build and/or abilities you are thinking of? If I could be specific I would have the build and the thread would not exist? All I can say is the build has the power of you meeting yourself and the aging process has ceased. There are ten levels. When you meet yourself you may be younger older or about the same age. I think at the time my word search may have been "most powerful prestige class" and "Chronomancer Prestige Class." After antiwizards of the coast produced D and D v5 some class build vanished from the web.