PDA

View Full Version : Artifacts: your favorite or most OP

Raishoiken
2020-07-20, 12:12 AM
As the title suggest; what are some of your favorite artifacts/which do you find to be the big stronk? I'm a personal fan of how the Annulus just kind of deletes psionic beings

3rd party included

Maat Mons
2020-07-20, 02:04 AM
Elixir of Immortality, for arbitrarily high mental ability scores.

reddir
2020-07-20, 02:24 AM
Elixir of Immortality, for arbitrarily high mental ability scores.

Where is this from?

Melcar
2020-07-20, 03:33 AM
My favorite would have to be: The Nether Scrolls, The Highfire Crown and the Ring of Winter.

They are simultaneously some of the most powerful ones in the entire game!

Afghanistan
2020-07-20, 10:05 AM
Where is this from?

Dungeon Magazine Issue #112. It's a possible discovery (Search DC 30) from a specific module printed in the same Dungeon Magazine in question. It comes in a set of three, however the relative one is named the Elixer of Eternity and does the following:

Imbibing this elixer grants immortality to the drinker; he now does not die upon reaching his maximum age. He still suffers penalties (and gains bonuses) to his ability score from aging. After reaching his maximum age, the immortal's body continues to age. His Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution continue to drop by 1 point every 100 years. While his intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma score rise by 1 point every 200 years. The character's physical ability scores cannot be reduced below 1 in this manner.

As you can see, it's more or less a spellcaster, particularly a Druid's wet dream to have this item. Theoretically speaking, a spellcaster that casts Teleport Through Time (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b) to arrive at the very first year of the universe, would gain a 69,000,000 Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma and a Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution of 1. Frankly, this would be one of those scenarios where taking Improved Toughness and using some other means of granting yourself enhancement bonuses to Consitution on a Wizard might be prudent (-5 HP/level with a d4 HD) as the item only makes you immune to death from old age, but if you are killed through other means, you just straight up die.

Buufreak
2020-07-20, 10:10 AM
Sword of Feast and Famine

Sorry, wrong game. I'm a big fan of the angel razor from bovd.

Telonius
2020-07-20, 11:54 AM
My favorites were the ones I statted up for a campaign: the Bell, the Book, and the Candle. The Bell was a sonic weapon with an aura of Freedom and the ability to break enchantments (plus a few other effects). The Book was an Intelligent book full of Bardic lore and love songs, that could emulate several spells; the Candle was a Warhammer version of a Holy Devastaor (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/weapons.htm#holyDevastator) that could also take the form of a large (unbreakable) candle that gave several light-themed abilities. They had a resonance effect that was needed to Save the World™ at the end of the campaign.

Jay R
2020-07-20, 02:10 PM
It's over-powered.
It's overly dangerous.
It substitutes dumb luck for role-playing.
It unbalances parties.
It destroys campaigns.

But it's still my favorite, as it has been since it came out in the Greyhawk supplement of original D&D in 1975.

The Deck of Many Things.

Vizzerdrix
2020-07-20, 03:38 PM
Their is a hammer in one of the faerun books that always caught my eye. It baleful polymorphs who ever you hit with it.

Thurbane
2020-07-20, 05:33 PM
Thematically, I love the Mighty Servant of Leuk-O (as a massive Greyhawk 1E fanboy), but I hate that the only 3E version it got was some kind of half-baked Robotech/d20 Modern (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061020a) mess.

I don't think the Machine of Lum the Mad ever got 3E stats at all. Shame.

Oh, and here's a link to a decent list of artifacts (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?500598) for anyone who's interested.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2020-07-20, 07:46 PM
Sword of Feast and Famine

Sorry, wrong game. I'm a big fan of the angel razor from bovd.

Sword of Sinew and Steel is where it’s at.

Seriously tho, Deck of Many Things is the only artifact to show up at my table with any regularity. Things usually go downhill when it appears.

We’ve seen The Annulis and the Mace of St Cuthbert this campaign, the annulis is indeed OP, the mace is basically just an epic mace.

Afghanistan
2020-07-20, 07:54 PM
Thematically, I love the Mighty Servant of Leuk-O (as a massive Greyhawk 1E fanboy), but I hate that the only 3E version it got was some kind of half-baked Robotech/d20 Modern (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061020a) mess.

I'm actually working on incorporating a 3.5e update to the Mighty Servant for my group as a component to the campaign's BBEG's Doom-Tron (3 components to a fight, all of them make the fight miserable).

Asmotherion
2020-07-20, 08:24 PM
My favorite is Definitelly the Staff of the Magi.

StevenC21
2020-07-20, 10:08 PM
I like the Shadowstaff.

It sucks. But I like it nonetheless.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-07-21, 12:21 AM
The Arms & Equipment Guide is chock full of cool stuff, so it should come as no surprise that my favorite artifact is also from there. All three of the Regalias are pretty cool, but of the three the Regalia of Neutrality seems particularly awesome, not least because its drawbacks are the least limiting.

Erik the Green
2020-07-21, 01:46 AM
I have a soft spot for the Draco Mystere, a minor artifact from the Draconomicon (p121-2). It's like a tome, except it grants some minor dragon-themed bonuses after 30 days of reading thru it, unless the reader is a sorcerer in which case they gain the minor bonuses plus a permanent +1 to charisma (apparently untyped) and a free level of sorcerer. IIRC (AFB at the moment) the fluff implies that it turns up fairly often as artifacts go, almost as if it wants to be found. Why? Well, that's a good plot hook waiting to be filled in, yes?