PDA

View Full Version : Need feat ideas for a Eldritch Knight; Advice Please.

Kizara
2007-10-30, 02:39 AM
Ok, stay with me here:

Gestalt campaign, vampire character (with +6 LA), good stats.

Looks like:

Human
ranger 1/fighter 2/ (vampire LA 6)//sorceror 6/eldritch knight 3

The idea is to do be a primary melee with arcane buffs, and general utility. I'm aware wizard would be better here, but the character concept demands sorceror.
So, here's the thing, I need to pick some feats and other than power attack, ability focus (domination gaze) and leap attack, I'm drawing blanks.

As a vampire I get dodge, mobility, lightning reflexes, combat reflexes and improved initiative.

My stats (pre-magic) look like this:

-

Also, what do you reccomend for the 'other side' after I finish my vampire LA?

Anything except ToB/ToM or campaign setting stuff is fine, but please name your source.

Glyphic
2007-10-30, 04:01 AM
from Complete Warrior, Arcane strike. Sacrifice a spell to get +1 to hit and +1d4 per spell level added to an attack for a round. (4th level spell being worth +4 to hit, 4d4 damage).

A pair of luck feats, if that's your style from C scoundrel might work too. Fortuitous strike needs another luck feat and 6th level, but lets you reroll an attack roll, or even a damage roll.

A smattering of meta magic probably won't work well with sorc, but who knows. It looks like you're looking for fighter bonus feats, anyway, which does narrow the selection.

And if you need a full bab with more spells after the vampire, Duskblade might work.

Kizara
2007-10-30, 04:09 AM
from Complete Warrior, Arcane strike. Sacrifice a spell to get +1 to hit and +1d4 per spell level added to an attack for a round. (4th level spell being worth +4 to hit, 4d4 damage).

A pair of luck feats, if that's your style from C scoundrel might work too. Fortuitous strike needs another luck feat and 6th level, but lets you reroll an attack roll, or even a damage roll.

A smattering of meta magic probably won't work well with sorc, but who knows. It looks like you're looking for fighter bonus feats, anyway, which does narrow the selection.

And if you need a full bab with more spells after the vampire, Duskblade might work.

Thank you for the feedback.

Does arcane strike require an action to do that? Cause if it doesn't, that certinally seems like a great option to get free damage.
Edit: Looked up Arcane strike, definately a keeper. Thanks.

Don't have the Cscoundrel, sorry.

Right now, I have power attack (ftr), ability focus (dom gaze) (3rd level), leap attack (6th level), arcane strike (9th level) and improved critical (eldritch knight). So, yea.... I need a fighter feat, my 1st level and human feat... you see the problem, no doubt.

As for metamagic, I was already considering silent and still spell, so I can sneak up on things in gaseous/alternate form and cast at them with them having NO clue what's going on...
Also Quicken spell, its not useful yet at all, but its still great later and it uses a feat.

Edit 2: hmmmm, upon further looking though complete warrior, I'm considering getting combat expertise and karmatic strike, not sure though. More advice is more than welcome.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-30, 06:42 AM
Well.. I would certainly point you towards Abjurant Champion. Not necessarily for your "other side" but in place of Eldritch Knight. EK is a nice class, but AC is better. Barring that though, I would say Paladin/Anti-Paladin (Unearthed Arcana) since you already have CHA as a needed stat anyway, Pally (or it's alignment appropriate equivalent for you) gives you CHA to saves, which is always good IMO. Next up perhaps Scout? It seems like you are going to be about mobility anyway, so Skirmish could be handy. There is a feat in.... I can't remember which book, to let you stack Scout and Ranger levels to determine your Skirmish damage and some other benefit.

If you are considering the Expertise, Karmic strike route, you should keep Robilar's Gambit in mind for 12th level.

Kizara
2007-10-30, 07:00 AM
Well.. I would certainly point you towards Abjurant Champion. Not necessarily for your "other side" but in place of Eldritch Knight. EK is a nice class, but AC is better. Barring that though, I would say Paladin/Anti-Paladin (Unearthed Arcana) since you already have CHA as a needed stat anyway, Pally (or it's alignment appropriate equivalent for you) gives you CHA to saves, which is always good IMO. Next up perhaps Scout? It seems like you are going to be about mobility anyway, so Skirmish could be handy. There is a feat in.... I can't remember which book, to let you stack Scout and Ranger levels to determine your Skirmish damage and some other benefit.

If you are considering the Expertise, Karmic strike route, you should keep Robilar's Gambit in mind for 12th level.

1) We don't use unearthed arcana. And although Pally is a great 2-3 level dip for the most part, I am trying not to tie down my character's alignment. Nonetheless, it is an option if the roleplaying goes that way; certinally is a useful 2-3 levels after vamp LA.

2) Scout (and skirmish for the most part) are weak imo, especially to dip into at high level. There has to be a better option then 3 levels for +10ft speed, +1d6 situational damage, bad BAB and wrothless class abilities. The level 1 ranger is a bit for flavor, but is mostly to give me some decent starting skills and keep a good BAB, I don't intend to really 'play up' the ranger aspect much further. As for the combining thing, its almost certinally in the Cadventurer, as that book is the main one that deals with scouts and rangers.

3) I don't have my complete mage on me, but I'll have another glance at it for AC when I get a chance next. Where is Robilar's Gambit?

Edit: Just found Robilar's Gambit in the PHB2. Yea, that's definately one to keep in mind. However, having one thing that does +4 to hit and damage vs you, and another that gives you -4 AC is certinally risky. Proabably wroth it though, counterstriking owns, hard.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-30, 07:08 AM
1) We don't use unearthed arcana. And although Pally is a great 2-3 level dip for the most part, I am trying not to tie down my character's alignment. Nonetheless, it is an option if the roleplaying goes that way; certinally is a useful 2-3 levels after vamp LA.

You are aware that the Gestalt rules are in UA aren't you? :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2007-10-30, 07:19 AM
Spellsword (CW) is actually a fantastic class for gestalt if your DM will allow it. Most people don't take more than 1-4 levels of if, because its only 1/2 casting. With Gestalt, you can get around that. By taking a full caster class on the dead levels and another class on the active spell levels, you maintain full casting. Then you can fully reap the benefits of the class, such as the armor check penalty reduction (eventually allows mith full plate + mith large shield, animated of course) and the multichanneling.

The 2nd level spell Whirling Blade (SC, I think) is an amazing source of damage for you. You can power attack AND channel other spells (orb of cold works very well) through it. And its a line. And the range on it is pretty stupidly good. You just need a slashing weapon, glaive, greatsword, and waraxe (if dwarf vampire) are all good choices.

As far as feats go, Arcane Strike has aleady been mentioned. Smiting Spell is redundant if you go Spellsword, since you can already channel, but not bad if you go EK or AC. A couple of the reserve feats (CMage?) are great for spellswords, notably the minor shapeshift one and the teleport one. Minor Shapeshift gives you 15 temp hp as a swift action (almost as good as personal healing!), or a whole list of other nice things. The teleport one allows you to make short teleport hops as often as you like. This lets you bamf around out of combat for extra coolness factor, AND escape from grapples and forcecages at will in combat. You just have to keep a single polymorph school spell (alter self, polymorph, or trollshape) and a single teleport school spell memorized for unlimited usage.

Wait, you are a sorcerer....I don't know if reserve feats work for sorcerers....

I dunno if you can qualify for it(check SRD or MM), but quicken spell like ability(gaseous form) would be nice, especially if you get shock trooper to go with your leap attack. Then you could heedless charge/full PA leap attack, and pop off a quickened gaseous after the attack to counter the fact that your AC is now garbage. That would be an amazing hit n run technique.

To work with your undeadyness, I believe there is a feat in Libris Mortis: The Book of Bad Latin that negates some of your sunlight vulnerability. I'm at work and away from books, but that sounds like something that would be there.

Oh, speaking of LM, see if your DM will let you pick up the swarmshifter template. It's like a +1 template (I think) that allows you to explode into a swarm at will. Vampires > Bats and bat swarms are vicious. Not SUPER overpowered, but a cool feature to say the least.

Ok, I think I've rambled enough. Hope you find some of this informative. Lemme know if you in interested in more.

Keld Denar
2007-10-30, 07:30 AM
1) Edit: Just found Robilar's Gambit in the PHB2. Yea, that's definately one to keep in mind. However, having one thing that does +4 to hit and damage vs you, and another that gives you -4 AC is certinally risky. Proabably wroth it though, counterstriking owns, hard.

The whole point of KS and RG is to get hit. The more you get hit, the more you attack back. Thats why you see KS and/or RG in builds with rage, light-no armor, and something like shocktroopers headless charge to absolutely tank your AC into the negatives. That way, you are certain to get hit, and certain to get lots of counterstrikes.

The only disadvantage is when your DM realizes your AC is garbage and starts power attacking you for full back.

Also, as a vampire, your hp will be.....not so good. With no way to really raise them above base d12 (average 7 hp/level) via a high CON score, counter attacking might not be the best build for you. I'd keep with the spell casting and attacking with Whirling Blade from a distance, and going gaseous if things go poorly. Might be worth it to invest in a couple of ray spells, since your BAB is going to be decent. Enervation is amazing, and since you are undead, it'll give you 5-20 temp hp if you shoot yourself in the foot.

kme
2007-10-30, 08:17 AM
You may wish to consider using lifestealer greataxe(or however it is called) from DMG that gives 2 negative levels on everyone when you hit him and 1 Negative level to you (and yes, that will heal you :smallwink: ). Also you may wish to take empower spell and use it for False life spell to get some more hp. You can take one level of warblade and take ironhearth aura to qualify for stormguard warrior(which works great with robilar's gambit). Practiced spellcaster could also be useful, and maybe the DM will let you to use it to offset the LA.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-30, 09:04 AM
Since you probably shouldn't go with the Shock Trooper build (you have bad hit points and your DR may not offset that), you should invest in Power Attack (which you already have) and use the Wraithstrike feat. Basically, it's a swift action that makes your attacks touch attacks for the rest of the round. This offsets the PA penalty.
I second the Swarm Shifter template, if only for the cool thematic benefits. Turn into a cloud of sand and slip through any crack? Check. It kinda is covered by Gaseous Form, but I think it's cool.:smallbiggrin:

Vasdenjas
2007-10-30, 10:04 AM
Well, ignore my previous comments. I guess with Gestalt, you can only take one Prestige class at a time? Well, in that case most of my suggestions would be irrelevant, but I'll keep what isn't...

I agree that, if you can, take all 5 levels of Abjurant Champion before continuing on Eldritch Knight.

You could always do what was suggested, and take Paladin/Hexblade/Marshall to use your above average Charisma to more effect.

brian c
2007-10-30, 10:43 AM
I was going to recommend possibly doing Battle Sorcerer instead of regular sorc, so you can cast spells in armor, but nevermind if you're only allowed to use 1 rule from UA.

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-30, 10:51 AM
I'd suggest extend spell, so your buffs last longer. Most of your debuffs will be coming from your vampire side, won't they?

Also, you may want to look at the Hexblade, which will give you charisma to saves vs. spells and spell like abilities/affects.

Quietus
2007-10-30, 11:27 AM
I'd suggest extend spell, so your buffs last longer. Most of your debuffs will be coming from your vampire side, won't they?

Also, you may want to look at the Hexblade, which will give you charisma to saves vs. spells and spell like abilities/affects.

Alternatively, Duskblade will let him channel any spells he has into his attack sequence, and if he's Duskblade on one side and Sorc/PrC on the vampire side, that'll give him a HUGE number of choices for things to channel.

Kizara
2007-10-30, 04:51 PM
You are aware that the Gestalt rules are in UA aren't you? :smalltongue:

Nope, I wasn't. I only have the weblink to them in the SRD.

By taking a full caster class on the dead levels and another class on the active spell levels, you maintain full casting. Then you can fully reap the benefits of the class, such as the armor check penalty reduction (eventually allows mith full plate + mith large shield, animated of course) and the multichanneling.

I'll have another look at spellsword, but the thing is that I'm not really interested in trying to have armored casting.

My stats (pre-magic) look like this:

-

With my dex only likely to improve, trying to wear decent armor seems like a bit of a waste of time.

Otherwise, very valid points.

As far as feats go, Arcane Strike has aleady been mentioned. Smiting Spell is redundant if you go Spellsword, since you can already channel, but not bad if you go EK or AC. A couple of the reserve feats (CMage?) are great for spellswords, notably the minor shapeshift one and the teleport one. Minor Shapeshift gives you 15 temp hp as a swift action (almost as good as personal healing!), or a whole list of other nice things. The teleport one allows you to make short teleport hops as often as you like. This lets you bamf around out of combat for extra coolness factor, AND escape from grapples and forcecages at will in combat. You just have to keep a single polymorph school spell (alter self, polymorph, or trollshape) and a single teleport school spell memorized for unlimited usage.

1) I already have fast healing 5, I hardly need to spend a feat to be able to ackwardly heal myself.

2) With spontaneous casting, if I have a teleport spell in reserve, I can basically pop around as much as I like anyways.

To work with your undeadyness, I believe there is a feat in Libris Mortis: The Book of Bad Latin that negates some of your sunlight vulnerability. I'm at work and away from books, but that sounds like something that would be there.

Oh, speaking of LM, see if your DM will let you pick up the swarmshifter template. It's like a +1 template (I think) that allows you to explode into a swarm at will. Vampires > Bats and bat swarms are vicious. Not SUPER overpowered, but a cool feature to say the least.

I'll check out that sunlight feat, and as for the swarm thing, I personally don't feel its anywhere close to wroth the effort. A level adjustment to be able to take a swarm form when I can take gaseoues or winged forms already? Not to mention the swarm is easy to damage and is much weaker at attacking then other forms.

The whole point of KS and RG is to get hit. The more you get hit, the more you attack back. Thats why you see KS and/or RG in builds with rage, light-no armor, and something like shocktroopers headless charge to absolutely tank your AC into the negatives. That way, you are certain to get hit, and certain to get lots of counterstrikes.

The only disadvantage is when your DM realizes your AC is garbage and starts power attacking you for full back.

Also, as a vampire, your hp will be.....not so good. With no way to really raise them above base d12 (average 7 hp/level) via a high CON score, counter attacking might not be the best build for you. I'd keep with the spell casting and attacking with Whirling Blade from a distance, and going gaseous if things go poorly. Might be worth it to invest in a couple of ray spells, since your BAB is going to be decent. Enervation is amazing, and since you are undead, it'll give you 5-20 temp hp if you shoot yourself in the foot.

Those were basically my concerns as well. While I can see the validity of the build, I am not a personal fan of shock trooper and don't intend on taking it.

Enervation is certinally a good spell, but it's debatable whether it's wroth it for this character, when I can just hit them in melee for 2 neg levels anyways.

You may wish to consider using lifestealer greataxe(or however it is called) from DMG that gives 2 negative levels on everyone when you hit him and 1 Negative level to you (and yes, that will heal you ). Also you may wish to take empower spell and use it for False life spell to get some more hp. You can take one level of warblade and take ironhearth aura to qualify for stormguard warrior(which works great with robilar's gambit). Practiced spellcaster could also be useful, and maybe the DM will let you to use it to offset the LA.

1) The axe is certinally a good idea, especially if I can get a more buffed and expensive version to offer more offensive options.

2) No ToB.

3) Where is False Life?

4) Practiced spellcaster actually isn't relivant cause its a gestalt build and I'm probably only losing 1 caster level in 20 levels.

Temp
2007-10-30, 05:00 PM
Nope, I wasn't. I only have the weblink to them in the SRD.
Pretty much all the class variants people have been mentioning are on the same page... (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantClasses.htm)

3) Where is False Life?
Player's handbook or SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/falseLife.htm)

BardicDuelist
2007-10-30, 05:07 PM
On d20srd.org (not the SRD, but I don't really care about semantics), it actually says Variant Rules, Open Content from Unearth Arcana.

Kizara
2007-10-30, 05:35 PM
Since you probably shouldn't go with the Shock Trooper build (you have bad hit points and your DR may not offset that), you should invest in Power Attack (which you already have) and use the Wraithstrike feat. Basically, it's a swift action that makes your attacks touch attacks for the rest of the round. This offsets the PA penalty.
I second the Swarm Shifter template, if only for the cool thematic benefits. Turn into a cloud of sand and slip through any crack? Check. It kinda is covered by Gaseous Form, but I think it's cool.:smallbiggrin:

I agree with you on shock trooper, and wraithstrike is banned in my games. (for good reason) So is shivering touch, touch of idiocy, and other absurd things.

It isn't really an issue, since I'm already CL 9, most fights aren't going to last 9 rounds, let alone 9 minutes, and re-casting if needed isn't much of an issue as a sorceror.

While normally I would agree that hexblade is a great choice, and I still may take it, mettle is somewhat useless as a vampire. The (few) things I make fortitude saves for are generally death or nothing effects, and I'm immune to most will save effects.

I'll have a look at duskblade though.

Kizara
2007-10-30, 05:45 PM
Pretty much all the class variants people have been mentioning are on the same page... (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantClasses.htm)

Player's handbook or SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/falseLife.htm)

Yea, upon looking it up, that seems like an extremely ackward an inefficent way of getting a few more hp. Improved Toughness is a better bet, it will likely give as much hp and doesn't waste a valuable spell known.

Battle sorceror is a bit of a waste of time, since I already have d12 hd and nearly full bab anyways...

Ted_Stryker
2007-10-30, 07:01 PM
This sort of character practically screams for the Spring Attack feat combined with Boots of Speed, IMO. Take True Strike as one of your first level spells, cast it at range one round, next round activate your Boots and do Spring Attack + max. Power Attack + Arcane Strike on whichever target, then repeat as needed, de-activating and re-activating your Boots depending on whether you are casting True Strike or Spring Attacking. The only trouble here might be the fact that Tumble is cross-class for all the classes you've chosen, since Spring Attack only negates movement-related AoOs on the "springee."

Kizara
2007-10-30, 07:07 PM
This sort of character practically screams for the Spring Attack feat combined with Boots of Speed, IMO. Take True Strike as one of your first level spells, cast it at range one round, next round activate your Boots and do Spring Attack + max. Power Attack + Arcane Strike on whichever target, then repeat as needed, de-activating and re-activating your Boots depending on whether you are casting True Strike or Spring Attacking. The only trouble here might be the fact that Tumble is cross-class for all the classes you've chosen, since Spring Attack only negates movement-related AoOs on the "springee."

It's a thought, especially since I have dodge and mobility already anyways.

Boots of speed are kinda useless since I can just cast haste myself anyways.

I also like the idea of getting 2 leap attacks in every round. Certinally something to consider, good advice.

As for tumble, I'm not very concerned. If there's actually other people around that actually threaten me, I'll just rely on a high AC and my defensive passives.

Kizara
2007-10-30, 07:13 PM
Upon looking at spellsword, aside from full BAB, decent saves and half caster level, the only thing really to recommend it is channel spell at lvl 4.

This has potential, but I'm interested in people's ideas regarding really good channeled spells. Including the use of metamagic.

Now, to read over duskblade.

Ooooo, duskblade is definately better than spellsword except that the channeled spells need to be touch. So unless someone has some amazingly good spells that I would need a spellsword's channeling to do, I'm going duskblade since its 1) not a PrC and 2) also gives things like Quick Cast and Spell Power, as well as a bunch more spell options.

Ted_Stryker
2007-10-30, 07:19 PM
Hmm, does Leap Attack have to be part of a charge? If so, it won't work in concert with Spring Attack, in which case those two feats actually work at cross purposes towards each other. The idea behind the True Strike/Spring Attack combo is that since you can only benefit from True Strike once every two rounds (if it isn't quickened, which it won't be unless you take the Arcane Preparation feat), you may as well try to minimize the time you are in melee with hit-and-run tactics. But Spring Attack doesn't work with a charge action.

The Boots of Speed come in because you can activate and de-activate them as a free action, and they don't have to be used for 10 consecutive rounds, so you can orchestrate when you are Hasted to coincide with when you are about to Spring Attack. Since there is no need to be Hasted when you are casting True Strike, just turn the boots off. A Haste spell is half-wasted on casting True Strikes.

Kizara
2007-10-30, 07:21 PM
Hmm, does Leap Attack have to be part of a charge? If so, it won't work in concert with Spring Attack, in which case those two feats actually work at cross purposes towards each other. The idea behind the True Strike/Spring Attack combo is that since you can only benefit from True Strike once every two rounds (if it isn't quickened, which it won't be unless you take the Arcane Preparation feat), you may as well try to minimize the time you are in melee with hit-and-run tactics. But Spring Attack doesn't work with a charge action.

The Boots of Speed come in because you can activate and de-activate them as a free action, and they don't have to be used for 10 consecutive rounds, so you can orchestrate when you are Hasted to coincide with when you are about to Spring Attack. Since there is no need to be Hasted when you are casting True Strike, just turn the boots off. A Haste spell is half-wasted on casting True Strikes.

Yea, I think I'll stick with my leap attack charging. And yea, it does have to be a charge. I am generally more offensively oriented, and don't shy away from a direct fight.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-30, 07:32 PM
I'd personally go Knight or Duskblade on your Ranger/Fighter side after your LA. Duskblade will give you the ability to smite vicious with your spells, while Knight will let you better control the battlefield.

Alternatively, get the Undead Meldshaper feat and go into Totemist for some extra natural attacks, a breath weapon, whatever you feel like.

But then again, I recommend Totemist to everyone.

Idea Man
2007-10-30, 09:15 PM
With eldritch knight, and a great dex, you could rock on ray attacks, not to mention the orb spells. With a strong BAB, you'll never miss. Precise Shot will be your friend. Use rays to cover range issues. :smallcool:

Kizara
2007-10-30, 11:26 PM
I'd personally go Knight or Duskblade on your Ranger/Fighter side after your LA. Duskblade will give you the ability to smite vicious with your spells, while Knight will let you better control the battlefield.

Alternatively, get the Undead Meldshaper feat and go into Totemist for some extra natural attacks, a breath weapon, whatever you feel like.

But then again, I recommend Totemist to everyone.

And where is totemist? Personally I dont want more natural attacks, but maybe the bonuses are amazing.

The thing about knight is just starting to get it at high level, where I'm going to have d12 hd anyways, seems like an inherently bad move. Also, I have spells for battlefield control.

Temp
2007-10-30, 11:32 PM
Totemist is from Magic of Incarnum, one of WotC's alternate magic systems. It's a nifty book, probably worth a look.

I'm not seeing your attraction to the Fighter level either, especially when you're having problems filling feat slots.

Kizara
2007-10-31, 12:05 AM
Totemist is from Magic of Incarnum, one of WotC's alternate magic systems. It's a nifty book, probably worth a look.

I'm not seeing your attraction to the Fighter level either, especially when you're having problems filling feat slots.

Tbh it's just a standard build, and also there for flavour reasons: he's a former soldier.

I'm certain I can find a need for feats with enough looking, it just requires some foresight and research.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-31, 12:36 AM
Ok, stay with me here:

Gestalt campaign, vampire character (with +6 LA), good stats.

Looks like:

ranger 1/fighter 2/ (vampire LA 6)//sorceror 6/eldritch knight 3

The idea is to do be a primary melee with arcane buffs, and general utility. I'm aware wizard would be better here, but the character concept demands sorceror.
So, here's the thing, I need to pick some feats and other than power attack, ability focus (domination gaze) and leap attack, I'm drawing blanks.

As a vampire I get dodge, mobility, lightning reflexes, combat reflexes and improved initiative.

Also, what do you reccomend for the 'other side' after I finish my vampire LA?

Anything except ToB/ToM or campaign setting stuff is fine, but please name your source.

Consider moving that first level of Eldritch Knight - 3 over to the vampire side of the build and match it with a non prc sorcerer level.

Doing that with a Kobold who has undertaken the Draconic rituals from Races of the Dragon would net your PC +2CL spellcasting to the current build so your level 9 sorcerer now would be casting as a standard sorcerer - 10 knowing a single level 5 spell.

A level of Marshal (Minatures) (For the Minor Aura Motivate Charisma with Charisma for a sorcerer) or Dragon Shaman (PHBII) would be nice to have levels on the vampire side.

Instead of Ranger, Factotum (Dungeonscape)- 1 might be an option in a skill heavy campaign. It would open skills up and allow options like taking the Iajutsu skill from Oriental Adventures as an option. Your PC will want to acquire to more levels for at least 3 levels in Factotum.

A kobold sorcerer could do the Rituals from Races of the Dragon to get that bonus spell like ability each day, plus having that normally delayed sorcerer casting level removed at a cost of in permanent hit points.

Kizara
2007-10-31, 12:45 AM
Consider moving that first level of Eldritch Knight - 3 over to the vampire side of the build and match it with a non prc sorcerer level.

Doing that with a Kobold who has undertaken the Draconic rituals from Races of the Dragon would net your PC +2CL spellcasting to the current build so your level 9 sorcerer now would be casting as a standard sorcerer - 10 knowing a single level 5 spell.

A level of Marshal (Minatures) (For the Minor Aura Motivate Charisma with Charisma for a sorcerer) or Dragon Shaman (PHBII) would be nice to have levels on the vampire side.

Instead of Ranger, Factotum (Dungeonscape)- 1 might be an option in a skill heavy campaign. It would open skills up and allow options like taking the Iajutsu skill from Oriental Adventures as an option. Your PC will want to acquire to more levels for at least 3 levels in Factotum.

A kobold sorcerer could do the Rituals from Races of the Dragon to get that bonus spell like ability each day, plus having that normally delayed sorcerer casting level removed at a cost of in permanent hit points.

My character isn't a kobold, I dont care how much cheesy crap there is out there for him.

I'm considering dragon shaman, as it would be in flavour, as my character is actually based off a dragon-type heritage instead of a bat one.

I just got dungeonscape, I would consider factorum except that I can't re-pick levels.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-31, 01:06 AM
My character isn't a kobold, I dont care how much cheesy crap there is out there for him.

I'm considering dragon shaman, as it would be in flavour, as my character is actually based off a dragon-type heritage instead of a bat one.

I just got dungeonscape, I would consider factorum except that I can't re-pick levels.

There was no race mentioned for the PC in question in a gestalt game. I prefaced my post with consider. The character concept required sorcerer levels and the Sorcerer class is a favored class for koblolds.

Dragon shaman sounds great.

You could retrain your PC class levels by using the PHBII rules.

Kizara
2007-10-31, 04:51 AM
There was no race mentioned for the PC in question in a gestalt game. I prefaced my post with consider. The character concept required sorcerer levels and the Sorcerer class is a favored class for koblolds.

Dragon shaman sounds great.

You could retrain your PC class levels by using the PHBII rules.

I'll re-edit my original post, I said he was human in later posts.

Keld Denar
2007-10-31, 08:39 AM
More feats...

Since you already have Dodge and Mobility, Elusive Target (Tactical Feat CW) is gravy. It gives you 3 neat tricks, the most powerful is the ability to negate Power Attack damage vs you. The other 2 allow you to make trips on anyone who misses you when you provoke AoOs from movement, and the ability to make flanking foes strike each other instead of you. Biggest thing is the ability to negate PA damage, which would make the Karmic Strike/Robiliar's Gambit idea more valid.

If you pick up Spring Attack (maybe instead of Leap Attack), I'd go with Bounding Assault (PHB2). Bounding Assault gives you an extra attack when you spring attack a foe. This could be 2 slams (4 neg levels) or some combination of channeled spells.

As for Duskblade vs Spellsword
Duskblade has a very limited spell list. The advantage to Spellsword is they can pick from a much wider spell selection. This advantage is negated if you go full Sorcerer + Duskblade, since you'll have Sorc spells to cover anything Duskblade can't do. You can't have full casting on both though, since you have to fit your vamp template in there somewhere. Nothing says you can't have both though. (Spellsword would be easy to qualify if you have Duskblade on the non-vampire side)

A build might look like:
Duskblade 20//Vamp6/Sorc1/Spellsword5/EK8

This would have have full duskblade casting, 11th level sorc casting, full BAB.
You would meet the prereqs for Spellsword using you Duskblade proficiencies and casting, but apply your Spellsword caster bumps to Sorcerer instead.

Alternately:
Vamp6/Duskblade14//Sorc5/Spellsword5/EK10

This would give you 14th level Duskblade casting, 17th level Sorc casting. You'd miss out on 9th level spells, but you'd have to play to that high for it to really matter.

If you threw in Abjurant Champion levels to cover your dead sorc casting levels, you'd have to sacrifice more Duskblade levels, but you'd look more like:

Vamp6/Duskblade11/AC3//Sorc5/Spellsword5/EK8/AC2

This would net you 20th level Sorc casting, 11th level Duskblade casting (which gives you the quicken ability, if I'm not mistaken) and the ability to channel 2 spells in 2 attacks, which couples really well with Bounding Assault (2 attacks on a spring attack) You lose full attack channeling from Duskblade, which hurts, but if you are mostly spring attacking via Bounding Assault, it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, Mith Breastplate has a max dex bonus of +6, this fits perfectly with your 22 dex. That nets you an AC bonus of +11 before enhancements, animated shield bonuses, natural armor, and buffs. Its also light armor, so it won't restrict mobility. Its ASF penalty is completely negated by Spellsword (up to 20% reduction at 5th level). Plus, you can add all kinds of neat MIC bonuses to it, including Energy Immunity (immediate action immunity to elemental of your choice for several rounds, +1 cost). You'd also receive benefits from a clerics Magic Vestiments (double if you get an Animated mithril large shield) to further send you AC to a low orbit. High AC doesn't couple well with the counter attack build mentioned though.

As far as spells to channel, Vampiric Touch seems only natural (you are a vamp afterall!). Channel it through your slam attack for extra drainy goodness. Shocking Grasp on the Duskblade spell list is an easy extra 5d6 pretty much at will. If you get high enough levels, the 9th level energy drain is also appropriate (2d4+2 neg levels - 20-50 temp hp) Hold Monster is another decent one. Suprisingly, there is a lack of good spells to channel in the mid-high level range. I'd have to do some more looking.

Quietus
2007-10-31, 10:39 AM
Upon looking at spellsword, aside from full BAB, decent saves and half caster level, the only thing really to recommend it is channel spell at lvl 4.

This has potential, but I'm interested in people's ideas regarding really good channeled spells. Including the use of metamagic.

Now, to read over duskblade.

Ooooo, duskblade is definately better than spellsword except that the channeled spells need to be touch. So unless someone has some amazingly good spells that I would need a spellsword's channeling to do, I'm going duskblade since its 1) not a PrC and 2) also gives things like Quick Cast and Spell Power, as well as a bunch more spell options.

Also, remember that Arcane Channeling lets you channel *any touch spell you know*, which would include Sorcerer spells. This means you can do things like channel a Scorching Ray (ranged touch) into your attacks, or Shocking Grasp, or Enervation/Energy Drain as someone mentioned, or Polar Ray....

Yes, Sorcerer gestalted with Duskblade is just that brutal. At least, I think that's how it works..

kme
2007-10-31, 10:46 AM
Here are some spells that you may wish to consider

Arcane spellsurge (dragon magic): level 7 This spell can be very useful to you, it reduces a casting time of all spells. Standard action casting times become swift, full round action become standard. With this you can easily fight and cast spells.

Complete mage spells
Arcane fusion: level 5. This lets you cast two spells using 1 spell slot.One spell must be level 1 and one other up to level 4.
Arcane fusion, grater: level 8. Same as lesser except that One spell must be up to level 4 other up to level 7. Arcane fusions can be good if used with twin or quicken (or Arcane spellsurge).
Retributive enervation: level 8 I think. Whenever someone hits you he gets a negative level

Spell compendum spells
Ironguard, lesser: level 4. You become immune to nonmagical metal weapons and ca pass trough nonmagical metal.You also ignore nonmagical armor with unarmed attacks.
Ironguard : level 7. Same as lesser except that it affects a magical metal too
stone bones: level 2 or 3. Corporeal undead gets a +3 enchantment bonus on natural armor
iron bones: level 6 i think. Same as stone bones except that a bonus is +6
distract assailant: level 1. Swift spell, will save or become flat footed for one round.
shieldbearer: level 1 One shield becomes an animated shield.

Temp
2007-10-31, 05:09 PM
This means you can do things like channel a Scorching Ray (ranged touch) into your attacks, or Shocking Grasp, or Enervation/Energy Drain as someone mentioned, or Polar Ray...."Touch" and "Ranged Touch" are not the same thing.

That doesn't mean there aren't any good channeling possibilities available regardless of the restriction.

By the way, has anyone mentioned Heighten Spell and Rapid Metamagic? Those are good for Spell-Channeling Sorcerers. Scaling spell levels mean you don't have to waste as many spells known.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-31, 05:42 PM
And where is totemist? Personally I dont want more natural attacks, but maybe the bonuses are amazing.

The thing about knight is just starting to get it at high level, where I'm going to have d12 hd anyways, seems like an inherently bad move. Also, I have spells for battlefield control.

Well, you can forgo the 'melds that give natural attacks then, and instead shape the ones that give you things like extra damage on a charge (Urskan Greaves), a breath weapon (Basilisk Mask, Threefold Mask of the Chimaera), flight (like, seven different melds), the ability to burn people who attack you (Phoenix Belt), fire absorption (Phoenix Belt), dimension door at will (Blink Vest), and concealment (whatever the Phase Spider one is called), among other things.

As for Knight, it's more his Knight's Challenge ability than anything. May or may not be a decent choice, depending on what you aim for.

trajan
2007-10-31, 07:49 PM
Uh, arn't you prohibited from taking the "dual" classes during gestalt?

Neon Knight
2007-10-31, 07:52 PM
Uh, arn't you prohibited from taking the "dual" classes during gestalt?

Not exactly "prohibited" but more of "extremely discouraged." At least, that's what I remember the passage saying.

At any rate, it's commonly enforced.