PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Implanting Ioun Stones Deeper

Maat Mons
2020-07-20, 09:22 PM
I don't want part of the Ioun Stone poking out of my skin. I don't even want a visible lump. What are my options?

Asmotherion
2020-07-20, 09:57 PM
Don't use an ioun stone and instead use a custom magic item that does the same things?

Psyren
2020-07-20, 10:14 PM
Put them in a Wayfinder? Then you can just put it in your pocket etc.

Dimers
2020-07-21, 01:46 AM
Yep, wayfinder seems like the obvious answer, at least for one ioun stone (and some high-end wayfinders can hold more than one). Then cast invisibility on the wayfinder, and if your DM isn't a jerk about leaving its contents visible, then voila, no unsightly lump.

Maat Mons
2020-07-21, 03:16 AM
A custom item could work. The problem is, this is an idle thought exercise, so there's no DM to get approval from.

The particular Ioun Stones I was looking at that prompted this question were Scarlet and Blue Spheres. Those have a 24-hour attunement period, so it would be super annoying if I were disconnected from them, even briefly. A Wayfinder means it's not just orbiting my head, inviting passersby to grab it. But if I leave the Wayfinder sitting on the dresser while I take a bath, I'll have to get attuned all over again.

I guess I could wear the Wayfinder on a chain like a necklace. How big are these things? Am I going to look like Flavor Flav? Do kinds these days know who Flavor Flav is? Am I old?

Silly Name
2020-07-21, 03:25 AM
I guess I could wear the Wayfinder on a chain like a necklace. How big are these things?

I can't find exact sizes, but they're supposed to look like small compasses at a glance, so you could realistically wear one on a necklace, I think. I did find some illustrations/custom-made props that have them hanging by a chain, so I think it's a pretty solid argument.

Am I going to look like Flavor Flav?
Who?

Do kinds these days know who Flavor Flav is? Am I old?

Well, I'm 23...

Batcathat
2020-07-21, 03:26 AM
Weird question, but would swallowing them work?

Granted, it would require some... repetition now and again.

Maat Mons
2020-07-21, 04:04 AM
Young whippersnappers! Get off my lawn!

Here's a picture of Flavor Flav and Snoop Dogg:
https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/f1/3f/OoPuz5Nt_t.png

Flavor Flav is the one wearing a wall-clock.

Alexvrahr
2020-07-21, 06:28 AM
The 'must wear continuously' is more a guideline than a hard rule. It's not supposed to stop you taking a bath without your magic items, just to stop you instantly getting the full benefits.