PDA

View Full Version : Fiendish Resilience - Default to Piercing?

CheddarChampion
2020-07-21, 02:14 AM
You're a Fiend Warlock selecting a damage type to resist but you don't know what damage types to expect. What damage type do you pick?

It seems to me that Piercing damage would be somewhat common because most ranged weapons deal it. But if you get hit 3-4 times with a bow you take about as much damage as you would from failing a save against a single fireball... What do you think would make the most out of this class feature?

ftafp
2020-07-21, 02:39 AM
You're a Fiend Warlock selecting a damage type to resist but you don't know what damage types to expect. What damage type do you pick?

It seems to me that Piercing damage would be somewhat common because most ranged weapons deal it. But if you get hit 3-4 times with a bow you take about as much damage as you would from failing a save against a single fireball... What do you think would make the most out of this class feature?

the most important factor is knowing what kind of monsters you're going to tend to go up against frequently, and what they favor. My DM for example has a habit of putting us up against enemies with necromantic powers, so necrotic resistance would effectively double my HP, but I haven't had an opportunity to use Absorb Elements once in 11 levels of campaign

5eNeedsDarksun
2020-07-21, 03:05 AM
the most important factor is knowing what kind of monsters you're going to tend to go up against frequently, and what they favor. My DM for example has a habit of putting us up against enemies with necromantic powers, so necrotic resistance would effectively double my HP, but I haven't had an opportunity to use Absorb Elements once in 11 levels of campaign

Funny, I just had the same experience going through one of the published mods (won't say which one for spoiler). I'd agree with Piercing; also covers some Melee attacks as well as most Ranged.

Chronos
2020-07-21, 08:34 AM
I've seen a lot more than four times as many arrows than fireballs, in play.

Kyutaru
2020-07-21, 09:23 AM
Piercing also helps you survive Sneak Attacks.

Greywander
2020-07-21, 06:46 PM
Piercing is a good default resistance, especially if you're blasting from the back with EB rather than mixing it up in melee with the Blade pact. Of course, this feature works most effectively if you know what you're going up against and choose a resistance accordingly.

One thing to note about Fiendish Resilience is that it is bypassed by magic weapons. If, for example, you choose resistance to fire, and then you get hit by a Flame Tongue, you'll take full fire damage because it is from a magic weapon. In most cases, this should be pretty niche, but it is something to be aware of or else it could be a nasty surprise.

Oh, bludgeoning would be another good one. Fall damage isn't a magic or silvered weapon, so you still halve it. Maybe choose this one if you're more in melee, or worried about fall damage.