PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a game! Need tactical-grid urban/fantasy with quick PBtA-like creation!

RedWarlock
2020-07-21, 03:26 AM
I'm having my birthday in a couple days, and in lieu of a birthday party (due to COVID), I was thinking of getting some friends together online for a one-shot via roll20 or the like.

What I would love to find is a system with simple character creation, perhaps something on the level of Dungeon World/Monster of the Week or other Powered by the Apocalypse systems, but using more intricate combat akin to 4e D&D with grid-based movement, range/reach/push/pull effects, etc. I love that kind of heavy strategic combat, but I want something we can build and run quickly, either in an urban fantasy or straight-up dungeon fantasy setting, preferably with a ton of races and magic and monsters that we can play with. The more monstrous I can be as a PC, the better.

I don't have time to write up something myself, or else I would. If I can't find something that fits, I might just fall back to something I mentioned above to scratch some of the itch and save the concept for my own development ideas, since I think it's a niche that could be interesting to others.

Alexvrahr
2020-07-21, 11:55 PM
Savage Worlds isn't all the way there to PBtA simplicity, but it's simpler to make characters than any d20 game past AD&D 1e and has both settings you describe, plenty of content and the grid based stuff. Shadow of the Demon Lord is that simple and does the dungeon crawl setting, but doesn't have the grid-based tactics.