PDA

View Full Version : Holy symbol of Ravenkind cos

tomjon
2020-07-21, 12:15 PM
My party finally was able to use the symbol against a group of vampire spawn. Wow is it affective. My question is as Strahd know they have it and is not dumb so he Will make plans to get around it. Other then to steal it or make them use up the charges what level spell can block the sunlight. Will just a simple darknesses or fog spell block it? If not what level should he need to upcast darkness too? I don’t believe it’s as strong as the 6 th level sunbeam spell but probably at least as good as daylight 3rd level (less duration but actual sun light).

Thanks for your input

CheddarChampion
2020-07-21, 03:55 PM
Well RAW the light created by the holy symbol... doesn't count as a spell that "Darkness" can interact with?
If the fog from Fog Cloud is as dense as I think it is, being in the dim light portion of the daylight effect would probably let a vampire be fine.
Dispel Magic can probably do away with the effect no problem.

I suggest estimating the spell level of the effect it creates and then allowing a spell such as "Darkness" to cancel it out so long as the darkness spell is cast using a slot of at least the level you estimated.

Otherwise, yes: draw them in, wear them down, and strike when they're out of juice. Or split the party up with traps/the environment/spells.
But only if you want to be cutthroat about it. I don't know your group but most players I do know don't exactly enjoy getting caught in such a situation. Maybe have an NPC remind them that Strand will try to trick them and/or mess with their heads before actually attacking?

JackPhoenix
2020-07-21, 04:17 PM
It's not a spell, but it's magic, so Darkness doesn't help, no matter how much you'll upcast it.
It's not a spell, so Dispel Magic doesn't help either.
Other effects that block line of sight, like Fog Cloud or cover should work.

Remember that Strahd has a lair action that allows him to move through solid objects. If they pull out the symbol, good for them, but Strahd can simply walk away through the nearest wall.
Strahd can't use his Shapechanger ability while in sunlight, but he's got Polymorph on his list. Using it on himself would make him immune to sunlight as long as he's tranformed (as his stats would be replaced with the animal's stats), though most appropriate forms are kinda useless at the level when you fight him, and forms that would be useful (T-rex) are kinda.... unthematic. Polymorphing the opponent holding the symbol would remove the symbol as long as the target remains transformed, as all their gear merges with their form.
He's got minions, even skeletons or zombies can grapple the offender and drag him away.

tomjon
2020-07-21, 05:29 PM
Not sure why dispel magic would not work. It’s definitely a magical effect.

Explain further why darkness would not work if you would.

JackPhoenix
2020-07-21, 08:52 PM
Not sure why dispel magic would not work. It’s definitely a magical effect.

Explain further why darkness would not work if you would.

Dispel Magic ends spells. It does nothing to other magical effects.
Darkness can't be illuminated by non-magical light, and dispels spells of 2nd level or lower that create light overlapping its area. It does not dispel magical light (or light generating spells of 3rd level or more, no matter what slot level you cast Darkness with), and magical light can illuminate its area.

The sunlight option on the symbol is a magical light (it originates from magic item) and it's not a spell.

tomjon
2020-07-22, 10:42 AM
I think you are right. Thanks makes magic objects that create non spell magic effects very strong.