PDA

View Full Version : EverQuest?

fireinthedust
2007-10-30, 08:14 AM
Anyone out there remember that game? I think World of Warcraft is the big thing now, but I remember news stories about folks who stayed in EQ for days (and went nuts or something).

I found the rpg d20 by white wolf. I never played the game. Anyone here play it?

Krrth
2007-10-30, 09:45 AM
I've played the D20 version. IT can be kinda fun, but takes a little getting used to if you play D&D much. For one thing, monks are actually decent, and warriors get taunt, Paladins crit undead, and your first healing spell a roundis a free action.

The Prince of Cats
2007-10-30, 04:00 PM
The EQ D20 game is a lot of fun. It is more like the MMO from a design perspective; it is the kind of game where the party do not simply run out of spells after three encounters. One encounter can tax the wizard's mana, but an hour's meditation can almost replenish it.

Yeah, no Vancian casting, thank the gods. Speaking of gods, their names are almost all (misspelt) anagrams of their portfolios. Fennin Ro, the fire god. Tunare the druids' goddess...

Krrth
2007-10-30, 08:07 PM
I have to admit, I was leary of playing it. BUt I'm glad I finally did. I know it has problems, but it seems that a lot of the complaints about 3.5 got fixed.

Alex Knight
2007-10-30, 08:15 PM
I liked it. It keeps true to the spirit of the EQ game world, and still plays well as a D&D style game. Enchanters FTW! :smallbiggrin:

Krrth
2007-10-30, 08:42 PM
I liked it. It keeps true to the spirit of the EQ game world, and still plays well as a D&D style game. Enchanters FTW! :smallbiggrin:

Bah. One little agent of Mistmoor, and that enchanter looses most of his power. Now, magicians on the other hand.....

AngelicOne001
2007-10-30, 09:19 PM
I have only ever played EQ2....I never knew what the original was like.

Icewalker
2007-10-30, 09:24 PM
This thread seems a bit out of place. You mention a game and a board game, so it would go in either d20 gaming or gaming(other).

Never played it myself, heard it put down a lot for...you know, I'm not sure if I've ever heard any good reasons. Although I don't really know anything about the game.

Alex Knight
2007-10-31, 11:42 AM
Bah. One little agent of Mistmoor, and that enchanter looses most of his power. Now, magicians on the other hand.....

Feh. That's what the Freeport class feat is for. I'll still be able to mez your undead posterior! :smallbiggrin:

Tirian
2007-10-31, 12:16 PM
Never played it myself, heard it put down a lot for...you know, I'm not sure if I've ever heard any good reasons. Although I don't really know anything about the game.

I played it for about six months when there were between one and three of the modules for it. It really did have a lot going for it -- the only real flaw was that the design didn't really permit the addition of new content. There was a limit on how many total possessions you could have, and it got to the point where a quarter of the inventory was made up of untradable keys and other assorted quest items. Also, the designers couldn't add a new line of conversation for a character in a town without all of the players re-downloading the entire town, so the whole place was unnervingly static. I don't think that future games are better than EverCrack on their own -- they owe a lot of their success to observing EQ's growing pains and designing around them.