PDA

View Full Version : Proof of changing seasons

The Bushranger
2007-10-30, 08:14 AM
The First Robin of Winter has arrived, along with four of his friends. No doubt a few hundred thousand more are right behind him...

Shishnarfne
2007-10-30, 02:59 PM
The First Robin of Winter has arrived, along with four of his friends. No doubt a few hundred thousand more are right behind him...

I guess that shows how far apart some of us live: around here we talk about the first robin of spring.
Of course, since the Playground pulls in people from around the world, that shouldn't be surprising. Sign of seasons changing here this past week: first frost.

Trog
2007-10-30, 03:07 PM

So that's where they go. Hmm... was unaware robins had access to a timeship.

But yeah they're gone from up here. In my neck of the woods we can look forward to the arrival of bald eagles heralding spring... or at least the ice thaw on the river. Those things are HUGE! :smalleek:

ufo
2007-10-30, 03:11 PM
We've reached the time of year in which it's a good idea to install warmth in the toilet seats, but we have yet to see any snow. If there will be any at all. Last year there was next to no snow at all.

Damn you global warming, preventing snowball fights and laughing in our face!

Occasional Sage
2007-10-30, 03:18 PM
We've reached the time of year in which it's a good idea to install warmth in the toilet seats, but we have yet to see any snow. If there will be any at all. Last year there was next to no snow at all.

I remember my dad waking me and my brother up to make a snowman at one in the morning; I was maybe six or so, and the middle-of-the-night romp in several inches of snow really made an impression on me.

We still get enough for snowball fights and snowman-making, but it doesn't seem to stay as long, or grow so deep. When I miss it, I pull out my CD of Dylan Thomas reading his "A Child's Christmas in Wales" and retreat into another era.

Morty
2007-10-30, 03:23 PM
Heh. Last winter, the weather was like in autumn or maybe spring(damn you, global warming). The winter before that, however, temperature reached -30 C at one point. In other words, wether goes crazy. If it works properly this year, I should be seeing snow and feeling frost about a month from today.

Occasional Sage
2007-10-30, 03:39 PM
Heh. Last winter, the weather was like in autumn or maybe spring(damn you, global warming). The winter before that, however, temperature reached -30 C at one point. In other words, wether goes crazy. If it works properly this year, I should be seeing snow and feeling frost about a month from today.

-30, but no frost for another month? Wacky!

I've already had to scrape ice off of my windshield in the morning, and a friend who just moved here from Phoenix, AZ (36-53 F here today, 60-88 F in Phoenix) is convinced that she's found the seventh circle of hell.

Thirty below, though, is extreme. I hope that includes wind-chill?

Edit from unsurety: is the 7th circle the frozen one? or do I have that wrong?

Shishnarfne
2007-10-30, 03:42 PM
If I remember Dante, 9 was frozen. I think 7 included a burning-hot desert.

Someone with the Inferno can correct me.

Morty
2007-10-30, 03:43 PM
-30, but no frost for another month? Wacky!

No no, the whole 2005/2006 winter was quite harsh, with frost and snow, and at one point there was -30 C. 2006/2007 winter however, could be barely called winter and there was hardly any snow. The oncoming winter is predicted to be more normal.

SurlySeraph
2007-10-30, 03:54 PM
If I remember Dante, 9 was frozen. I think 7 included a burning-hot desert.

Someone with the Inferno can correct me.

You're correct. The 9th is frozen.

The Bushranger
2007-10-30, 04:44 PM
I guess that shows how far apart some of us live: around here we talk about the first robin of spring.
Well a lot of places trumpet "the first robin of spring" in January or February, when in fact they've been around all winter; it's just that they flock up more as the winter goes on, somebody finally notices them, and poof - the myth continues.
[/Ornithological rant]

Of course, if you go far enough north, you do get the first robin of spring - although IIRC the Eastern Phoebe is a more reliable indicator.

Down heah, we've had flocks of robins passing over in late winter sometimes that went on for an hour and were still going past... :smalleek:

So that's where they go. Hmm... was unaware robins had access to a timeship.
Robins. They're everywhere you don't want them to be.

.....aaaaand the first Chipping Sparrow of the winter is munching on millet at the feeder outside the window as I type.

Ceska
2007-10-30, 04:55 PM

Nyah, nyah. We had snow in parts of Austria already. And we still have it in the west, but here there wasn't any yet, it's either wet or cold, but never both at the same time.

We had that too, but in not so extreme form. Last year there was no snow until December but there was actual blooming apple trees. The year before we had snow in October, which stuck to November when we had a period of 20°C+.

heretic
2007-10-30, 05:23 PM
We'd better get snow this year...I want as many memories of it as I can.

That way when I have grandkids, I can dazzle them with tales of snow, which they certainly won't have.

Occasional Sage
2007-10-30, 06:19 PM
We'd better get snow this year...I want as many memories of it as I can.

That way when I have grandkids, I can dazzle them with tales of snow, which they certainly won't have.

Ouch. Too truthful for comfort.

Raven T.
2007-10-30, 06:50 PM
The people who want snow are the people WHO DON'T HAVE TO SHOVEL IT.

This message brought to you by people affected by Lake Effect Snow everywhere.

PaladinFreak
2007-10-30, 08:12 PM
Heh... I just use a high-powered leaf blower. Fortunately, what little snow we do tends to be dry snow, since it get quite cold, so the leaf blower works.

Raven T.
2007-10-30, 08:20 PM
This does not work around the Great Lakes, for it is most often a heavy, dense, wet snow. Snowblowers are much better for the job, but when one's family was always broke...

I must admit, even though my last post came off as a bit...bitter, I do enjoy walking after dark through fresh snow. The street lights catching the snow as it falls, the sounds of college students trying to use old pizza boxes as makeshift sleds...and failing miserably because he tried to get a running start, winding up flat on his face. Things like that.

It's just winter DRIVING I loathe.

phoenixineohp
2007-10-30, 08:28 PM
Today was the first day that I could see my breath while walking to school at 8:30am. :smallfrown:

Dragonrider
2007-10-30, 08:33 PM
When I went running this morning, there was ice on the sidewalk. Doesn't make a lot of difference to me; I've been in jeans since mid-August, even though it was 90F. I'm one of those perpetually cold people. Pretty soon I'll be putting my coat on when I wake up and taking it off only to go to bed... :smallfrown:

But no snow. I doubt we'll get more than a quarter inch this winter...that's about all we've had the last 3-4 years. :smallannoyed:

B-Man
2007-10-30, 08:35 PM
I was still considering wearing shorts today. It's too mild to be Hallowe'en soon ('twas 5-6 ºC this morning). :smalleek:

I have vague memories of Trick-or-treating in snow! Granted I might've been 3-4 yo at the time, but I still kind of remember it.

I really and truly hope that it snows by December this year. I don't want to be waiting 'til February for snow again. :smalleek: :smallannoyed: :smallmad: :smallfurious:

Vella_Malachite
2007-10-31, 02:47 AM
We are now getting our first 30-degree days for six months...
hehehe
I love summer...
Yes, I do live in the other hemisphere...:smallcool:

rubakhin
2007-10-31, 03:14 AM
I hate Connecticut weather. It never gets properly warm nor properly cold. In September and October it fluctuates wildly (it was seventy degrees out the other day), then on Halloween it hits forty degrees even and stays there until May.

Fortunately, I'll be in Mexico City from December until the Burroughsian lifestyle I will surely indulge in kills me, or April, whichever comes first.