PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Getting an extraplanar sugar daddy?

ftafp
2020-07-21, 07:01 PM
ive been scouring the books looking for rules to exploit and in the process ive found some details on the topic of boons from extraplanar entities that i wanted to share in hopes that we can find ways to exploit them

Genies
the genies in the monster manual are CR 11 elementals, some of which are able to cast Wish on your behalf. Because they're casting Wish, you don't suffer the consequences, but you only get three and then that specific genie cant grant you wishes again. Its CR is too high to be summoned by Conjure Elemental unfortunately.

Couatl
in a trick I learned from /r/powergamingmunchkin, the Couatl is a CR 4 celestial that has the ability to turn into any humanoid of up to its CR, gaining the benefit of that creature's actions. summonable by Conjure Elemental, one proposed use is to have the Couatl become a lycanthrope and ask it to infect you. unfortunately, the Couatl will not perform an act that violates its alignment, which means wererats and werewolves are almost certainly out. weretigers are neutral and so they might be allowed, but much of this is up to DM fiat. a more promising lycanthrope is the wereraven from curse of strahd, which is lawful good and has a flight speed, but a DM might rule that attacking you or infecting you with a curse is against its alignment.

Demons
Mordenkainens Tome of Foes presents Demonic Boons that can be granted by demon lords or some lesser demons such as a nalfeshnee or balor. a special mention goes to the sibriex who can warp your flesh permanently, but the effects are random and more often negative

Devils
Like demons, devils gain the ability to impart boons from Mordenkainens Tome of Foes, though like with demons these boons present no way for a player to recieve them. More useful are the rules for making infernal contracts in Descent into Avernus. ordinary devils can only make pacts while in hell or a in an unspecified ritual, but archdevils can make a pact anywhere they want, and these rules provide systematic rules for how to summon them that can be accomplished as early as level 1. unfortunately, this again requires DM fiat as the archdevil can is under no obligation to heed the summons or make a deal

Chwinga
possibly the only controllable entry on the list, chwinga are cr 0 elementals from Tomb of Annihilation that can be summoned with Conjure Minor Elementals. once per day, they can grant you a supernatural charm as an action, but the charm is chosen by the dm, the same module introduces useless charms possibly to prevent abuse, and i know of no rules that say you cant have more than one charm at a time.

those are my findings. any ideas?