PDA

View Full Version : Skills, Good or Bad

kentma57
2007-10-30, 08:15 AM
Skills. Are the current ones realy that well desined?

One thing I don't like is knowledge nature; once I build a deep forest range, the guy was pacticly feral he even spoke warg. What I thought was strange was that a character who had lived his life in a forest (and because of it had good knowledge nature and survival skills) could walk into a desert and could make a knowledge nature (or survival) chek to ientify quicksand.

Should you be alowed a general skill (studied at a school) and a specilized skill (lived there), with the latter being useless out side of certain area (ex: desert) and giving a bounes while in them?

Matthew
2007-10-30, 08:18 AM
The 3e D&D Skill System is generally considered to be poorly designed and implemented.

elliott20
2007-10-30, 08:53 AM
a skill system that necessitates better combative prowess before better skill usage? yeah, it's not exactly the best solution I've seen.

Hazkali
2007-10-30, 03:26 PM
The 3e D&D Skill System is generally considered to be poorly designed and implemented.

Really? I'd not heard that before. I think it's okay, not a particularly brilliant way of doing things, but simple enough so that you don't have to keep track of a large number of variables.

Matthew
2007-10-30, 04:18 PM
Yes, really. It's a terrible system. It's not the D20+Modifiers / 10+Modifiers resolution that is at fault, though, it's the method by which the Modifiers are found and the way the system is employed.

JackMage666
2007-10-30, 05:17 PM
One thing I don't like is knowledge nature; once I build a deep forest range, the guy was pacticly feral he even spoke warg. What I thought was strange was that a character who had lived his life in a forest (and because of it had good knowledge nature and survival skills) could walk into a desert and could make a knowledge nature (or survival) chek to ientify quicksand.

Well, I'd hope he could identify quicksand. Quicksand is more often found at marshy areas of forests than deserts, since deserts are generally too dry to support quicksand.

kentma57
2007-10-31, 07:46 AM
Well, I'd hope he could identify quicksand. Quicksand is more often found at marshy areas of forests than deserts, since deserts are generally too dry to support quicksand.

True bad example, how about a flaywind (realy nasty sandstorm, desert only).