PDA

View Full Version : Would a half-dragon werebear be AL legal?

Greywander
2020-07-21, 09:43 PM
I don't play AL, but I've wondered if this would be considered legitimate. You can use PHB+1, so what if you took the MM as your +1 and slapped every monster template in there on your character? Granted, there's only a couple you can actually use, but they're both pretty good. I wonder if half-dragons would qualify to be a dracolich or shadow dragon? Your dragon half is a true dragon, after all.

I just thought it would be kind of funny if such a thing was allowed, considering most DMs for non-AL games would probably shoot it down.

For reference, here's the benefits of each template:

Half-dragon:

One damage resistance
Recharging breath weapon
Blindsight out to 10 feet (combos nicely with Fog Cloud or similar)
Darkvision out to 60 feet

Werebear:

Immune to non-silvered BPS damage
Free 19 STR (dump to 8 at character creation, then apply template)
Can turn into a Large hybrid form (good for grappling, can be Huge with Enlarge/Reduce)

Wizard_Lizard
2020-07-21, 09:47 PM
I too have never played AL, but considering the templates aren't really for players... I would assume... no.
Although a half dragon werebear vampire PC would admittedly be cool, I think that'd be best for dms, not really players.

Aett_Thorn
2020-07-21, 09:48 PM
While the general rule is PHB+1, there are actually a list of books that count for that +1, and it does not count the MM as one of them.

"Step 1: Choose a Race and Class
Forgotten Realms characters can choose race and class
options from the Player’s Handbook and one other
resource—a rule called “PHB+1.” Additional resources
include the following products:
• Elemental Evil Player’s Companion (EEPC)
• Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide (SCAG)
• Volo’s Guide to Monsters (VGM)
• Xanathar’s Guide to Everything (XGE)1
• Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes (ToF)2
• Locathah Rising (LR)
Additionally, when selecting an additional source,
the following variant or optional rules are available
when you create your character:
• Variant Human Traits (PHB)
• Half-Elf and Tiefling Variants (SCAG/ToF)
• Option: Human Languages (SCAG)3
• Blessing of Corellon (ToF)3"

JackPhoenix
2020-07-21, 09:52 PM
Forgotten Realms characters can choose race and class options from the Player’s Handbook and one other resource—a rule called “PHB+1.” Additional resources include the following products:

•Elemental Evil Player’s Companion (EEPC)
•Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide (SCAG)
•Volo’s Guide to Monsters (VGM)
•Xanathar’s Guide to Everything (XGE)
•Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes (ToF)
•Locathah Rising (LR)

Additionally, when selecting an additional source, the following variant or optional rules are available when you create your character:

•Variant Human Traits (PHB)
•Half-Elf and Tiefling Variants (SCAG/ToF)
•Option: Human Languages (SCAG)3
•Blessing of Corellon (ToF)

Conspicuously missing: Monster Manual.

Yakk
2020-07-21, 09:57 PM
Must suck to be a moon druid.

Greywander
2020-07-21, 09:58 PM
While the general rule is PHB+1, there are actually a list of books that count for that +1, and it does not count the MM as one of them.
Ah, well that would explain it. Perhaps they anticipated something like this, and opted to use a whitelist instead of just allowing any other book. The MM isn't meant to be used for player options, whereas something like Xanathar's is. By only allowing books specifically intended to be used for player options, they can prevent shenanigans like this before they happen.

Aett_Thorn
2020-07-21, 09:58 PM
Must suck to be a moon druid.

That doesn't matter during character creation.

ftafp
2020-07-21, 10:02 PM
I don't play AL, but I've wondered if this would be considered legitimate. You can use PHB+1, so what if you took the MM as your +1 and slapped every monster template in there on your character? Granted, there's only a couple you can actually use, but they're both pretty good. I wonder if half-dragons would qualify to be a dracolich or shadow dragon? Your dragon half is a true dragon, after all.

I just thought it would be kind of funny if such a thing was allowed, considering most DMs for non-AL games would probably shoot it down.

For reference, here's the benefits of each template:

Half-dragon:

One damage resistance
Recharging breath weapon
Blindsight out to 10 feet (combos nicely with Fog Cloud or similar)
Darkvision out to 60 feet

Werebear:

Immune to non-silvered BPS damage
Free 19 STR (dump to 8 at character creation, then apply template)
Can turn into a Large hybrid form (good for grappling, can be Huge with Enlarge/Reduce)

Monster templates cannot be applied to players in AL, however, you can apply the half-dragon template to Beasts you can summon or change into through magic provided they meet the minimum CR requirements for their size (2 for anything Large or smaller, 7 for anything Huge, 8 for anything Gargantuan). As for the werebear, it's not possible unless you encounter a werebear or gain the ability to cast True Polymorph. That said I don't remember if AL uses the treasure points system, but if it does, a spell scroll containing it should be available starting at level 11

As for the others, dracolich and shadow dragon both explicitly apply only to true dragons, which a half-dragon doesn't qualify as

Keravath
2020-07-21, 10:52 PM
Lycanthropy or vampirism (among other conditions) make the character not legal for AL play until those conditions are cured.

As mentioned the +1 for character creation does not include the monster manual .. which is irrelevant since the monster manual does not contain player character options for character creation ... it contains monsters.

AL actually prevents most of the abuses like the one the OP suggested which is actually the point :)

HolyDraconus
2020-07-22, 02:07 PM
Lycanthropy or vampirism (among other conditions) make the character not legal for AL play until those conditions are cured.

As mentioned the +1 for character creation does not include the monster manual .. which is irrelevant since the monster manual does not contain player character options for character creation ... it contains monsters.

AL actually prevents most of the abuses like the one the OP suggested which is actually the point :)

This right here. Both "curses" has your character autobanned till cured. As for the Monster Manual, per page 5 of the DDADVL Faq:
Can I Use the Monster Manual?
The Monster Manual is a legal rules source for the
purpose of determining what is available for class
features such as Wild Shape, Beast Companion, and
various conjure spells. However, without specific
campaign documentation, you may not use any of
the Variant rules contained therein.
Additionally, as there are no specific stat blocks
for “templated” creatures, such as half-dragons,
these are not permitted for use.

Xenken
2020-07-23, 10:21 AM
Monster templates cannot be applied to players in AL, however, you can apply the half-dragon template to Beasts you can summon or change into through magic provided they meet the minimum CR requirements for their size (2 for anything Large or smaller, 7 for anything Huge, 8 for anything Gargantuan).

Do people actually use this? Is it common/respected or will you get laughed out of a table for trying?

If the former, I suddenly want to play AL.