PDA

View Full Version : November Book Bingo Card (Predictions)

KOLE
2020-07-22, 12:30 AM
The conversation in the feat topic is shifting to predictions on the November drop. I was about to reply, but we were getting close enough to off-topic I thought it warranted its own topic. There's a lot of hype being built for this thing. What are you hoping for? What do you think we're going to get? Put your predictions here so come November you have it recorded so you can brag about how right you were.

I'm not going to go big on predictions because I haven't been paying attention to UA or other behind-the-scenes things, but I think we're going to get a dump of new subclasses. They've put so many through UA lately it seems right.

I hope this is a Xanathar's 2. It's been years without a dump of new content other than some sparse stuff in splat books. We're due for new stuff. Crossing my fingers for:

-More Cleric spells! Seriously, they need some good padding. They have some great spells, but their list is too full of have-to-takes and wildly situational spells. I know they're a great class, and nobody's complaining about them being underpowered, but I think they could stand to get some more.
-By the same token, more Sorcerer spells! For all that is good, they need more. And please make them exclusive to their spell list. I'm not holding out hope for this one since it seems WOTC really isn't worried about the Sorcerer, even though I feel they could use a boost.
-SOMETHING with the Ranger. I know we'll never get a full rewrite, but last November's alt options was a solid start, I feel like they're doing something.

What are you thinking, playground?

MrStabby
2020-07-22, 07:12 AM
I think the big thing I expect is alternative class features.

Some more feats and more races including alternative race stats.

Some subclasses but fewer than Xanathar's.

ff7hero
2020-07-22, 07:15 AM
100 pages of suggestions for the name of your character's home town.
Or just another 100 pages of names...

nickl_2000
2020-07-22, 07:24 AM
I think you are going to see more character options per the UA and feats. It seems like they are trying to make PCs less dependent on multiclassing and giving martials more options for what they are doing in combat.

Amechra
2020-07-22, 11:11 AM
Nothing. The book is entirely blank, with an attractive blank white leather cover. You sometimes get the impression that it isn't blank, but then you dismiss those weird hunches. Sometimes, you feel like someone is watching you at night.

I dunno. I'm going to second the "alternate racial traits" suggestion. I hope that they'll include at least one subclass that wasn't in UA, but I know that's a vain hope.

x3n0n
2020-07-22, 11:26 AM
Definitely the racial thing:

Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.

I'm also assuming a lot of the Class Features UA will make it. In particular, "____ Versatility". (Note that the new Feats UA has lots of "you can choose a new one when you level up", using the same language as in the Class Features UA.)

In addition, I expect to get a lot of subclasses (mostly from the winter UA) and some variant of the UA summon spells.

I suspect the content is already pretty locked down. They commission the art far far in advance and need to finalize layout in time to get books printed, so (unfortunately?) I doubt any of the new feats will make it.

Lupine
2020-07-22, 11:36 AM
I suspect the content is already pretty locked down. They commission the art far far in advance and need to finalize layout in time to get books printed, so (unfortunately?) I doubt any of the new feats will make it.

I don’t think that’s a bad thing. The new UA feats seem a little bit too powerful for my tastes.

I’m totally down for the versatility options, as well as the fighting styles that allow half casters to have a pair of cantrips. Those seem really cool

Telwar
2020-07-22, 12:04 PM
I would really, truly, like a revised and expanded PHB with corrections to classes, errata baked in, more subclasses, more feats, more rac...er, ancestries/species*, etc. That would allow them to keep the PHB+1 requirement for AL. It wouldn't invalidate the original PHB necessarily, but you'd be a fool to use the old one.

Now, I expect it to be another Xanathar's.

* If *I* were going to do that, I'd have physiological traits (the "whole different species thing," like ASIs and darkvision and breath weapons and natural spells) and then cultural traits separated out (like feats and proficiencies).

Sam113097
2020-07-22, 02:18 PM
I think that alternate class features, alternate racial rules, and new feats seem to be a lock.

Assuming it’s going to have new subclasses from the past several Unearthed Arcana playtests, what are the classes you all would like to see published? I think we might finally get some psionics subclasses, and I liked the Circle of Stars Druid, Rune Knight Fighter, and Noble Genie Warlock.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-07-22, 02:26 PM
I'll have two lists - What I think is definitely going to be in there, and what I want in there.

What I think is going to be in:
-Alternate Racial Traits
-Alternate Class abilities
-Assorted variant rules
-A Small handful of subclasses (nothing psionic, one per class)

What I want in it:
-New Subclasses (tons of them)
-New Magic Items
-New Monsters
-New Feats
-New Equipment Items

KOLE
2020-07-22, 02:48 PM
I think that alternate class features, alternate racial rules, and new feats seem to be a lock.

Assuming it’s going to have new subclasses from the past several Unearthed Arcana playtests, what are the classes you all would like to see published? I think we might finally get some psionics subclasses, and I liked the Circle of Stars Druid, Rune Knight Fighter, and Noble Genie Warlock.

Genie Warlock was one of the best subclasses to come from UA. I really hope we get it.

Sam113097
2020-07-23, 03:59 PM
I'll have two lists - What I think is definitely going to be in there, and what I want in there.

What I think is going to be in:
-Alternate Racial Traits
-Alternate Class abilities
-Assorted variant rules
-A Small handful of subclasses (nothing psionic, one per class)

What I want in it:
-New Subclasses (tons of them)
-New Magic Items
-New Monsters
-New Feats
-New Equipment Items

Speaking of variant Character-building rules and new feats, I would love some new ways to generate stats. An official stat-generation-method that includes a feat for all PCs at 1st level would be fantastic.

J-H
2020-07-23, 06:00 PM
I think there will be at least one more UA around Psionics before they have a release candidate. Based on 4 months until a release date, I don't think they will have Psionics ready at this point. I would guess a setting or campaign book, possibly with some more magic items included. The big player-option XGTE2 will be in early 2021 after they get Psionics nailed down - unless they just toss Psionics entirely until they decide to do Dark Sun.

P. G. Macer
2020-07-23, 10:11 PM
Like many of you, I think we’re going to get Xanathar’s 2: Beholder Boogaloo.

Specifically, I think we’re going to get at least one new subclass per class (except possibly Wizard, given how well the wizard UAs have been received), and also revised versions of the class feature variants UA, and finally the alternate method of determining racial ASIs that Crawford mentioned a month or so ago.

I’m not sure if we’ll get the feats from last week’s UA, given how close to publication they were, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we do get some of them either.

rickayelm
2020-07-23, 11:23 PM
Something set around the other planes. A lot of the feets, subclasses, and spells were planar based.

Spriteless
2020-07-25, 01:47 PM
I wonder if, sometimes, UA is just its own thing, we get it so much more from it than we get books.

Anyways, I bet on the long shots. Put me down for Equestria, Cybertron, Candyland, or Trolls (with the big hair).

Christew
2020-07-25, 07:16 PM
Prediction: all the stuff we've seen twice in UA (which may include feats)
Wish: a set of variant rules for character design (preferably separating feats from ASIs)

Snownine
2020-07-26, 12:39 AM
I am really hoping to get another book like Xanathar's but I think that might be further down the line since that seems like the perfect book to put those new UA feats in and those just came out. I would not mind being wrong on that one though. Has anyone heard anything about a new campaign setting? They just released Theros so it seems a little fast for another setting book to drop.

rickayelm
2020-07-26, 01:01 AM
They did have a super fast turn around on the questionair, so maybe it was just a last test run. After all there are 4 months till the book comes out so they could have the feets in it.

Flallen
2020-07-26, 08:57 AM
I think the big thing I expect is alternative class features.

Some more feats and more races including alternative race stats.

Some subclasses but fewer than Xanathar's.

This is pretty much what I expect. Possibly some more spells and a few goodies for the DM thrown in there as well. I also expect the results of the revising of how Drow, Orcs, and race over all will be in that book too.

KorvinStarmast
2020-07-26, 01:59 PM
Hoping for Darksun, expecting to be disappointed.
I figure Darksun and Pisonics will come out at about the same time.

MrStabby
2020-07-26, 03:03 PM
Ok... IF there are new subclasses and IF they are things we haven't seen previewed in UA (a big if) my guess is:

A nature themed monk
A night/shadow domain cleric
Elemental themed clerics
A lyrical wizard that craps on bards
An ancestor pact warlock
A skald barbarian

But what I hope for most (but doubt we get) is more developed rules for different skill uses in combat.

Sam113097
2020-07-27, 09:52 AM
I wonder if, sometimes, UA is just its own thing, we get it so much more from it than we get books.

Anyways, I bet on the long shots. Put me down for Equestria, Cybertron, Candyland, or Trolls (with the big hair).

It's not a whole book, but... you aren't that far off on the Equestria one: Official D&D - My Little Pony Crossover Product (https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/cutie-marks-dragons)

I am really hoping to get another book like Xanathar's but I think that might be further down the line since that seems like the perfect book to put those new UA feats in and those just came out. I would not mind being wrong on that one though. Has anyone heard anything about a new campaign setting? They just released Theros so it seems a little fast for another setting book to drop.

It seems like after the we’re getting a new player-focused book in 2020, after Rime of the Frost Maiden (which may be the closest thing to another campaign setting we get this year), as the UA release speed and content are very similar to what they were leading up to Xanathar's, and according to Wizards of the Coast: “Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases..."

ftafp
2020-07-27, 10:40 AM
personally, im kind of hoping the same philosophy that led WotC to remove racial ability modifiers will lead to standard mixed heritage rules. a third of the races available are simply humans with a bit of another race: half elf, half orc, tiefling, aasimar, genasi, changeling, shifter, kalashtar. there's no reason these cant have a base of another race