View Full Version : Looking for assistance optimizing within a set concept.

Jmarsh56
2020-07-22, 02:30 PM
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/thedaonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/44/444f0fae-2ff0-5a9d-a510-cc3872bd3a33/524e33d95e6a5.image.jpg

This is The Stranger, I am sure a lot of you are familiar with him. I was toying with the idea of a backwoods artificer that uses various nonmagical ways to explain away their magic. Faerie Fire? Nah I just released a handful of fireflies. Scorching Ray? Nah that was just a fire beetle larva fired at a high velocity. The more I thought about it the more clear where I had seen such a character before.
See above.

The stat array is going to be 17 15 13 12 10 8 so race isn't a HUGE deal but I do have a few in mind. Simic Hybrid (skinned as more mammalian than fishy) for the racial abilities I could explain as artificer gadgets, Vuman for sharpshooter to begin with. Rock or Deep Gnome could be an option, Hobgoblin... Ehh maybe? The further down the list the less it really fits what I am looking for.

Multiclassing is 100% an option, Fighter/Rogue/Ranger all would have a place in the concept but I am sure there are others also that could contribute something. But my biggest hurdle so far is what Artificer subclass would work best for what I want to do. Artillerist I could focus on using cantrips and spells to emulate the different effects of the ammo in the game while getting the arcane turrets to further play into that. Battle Smith would focus more on a heavy crossbow with sharpshooter and repeating shot to lean more into raw damage while still leaving room for other flavor while getting the Steel defender.

Obviously a 1 to 1 copy of The Stranger isn't what I am going for, I could totally equip a shield and use a Hand Crossbow if that it just purely better mechanically he is just the template I am working off of. Regardless of which route I go I am planning to be largely ranged damage with utility when it is needed.

I would greatly appreciate any input on this. The game he is for will be starting at level 2 and going to... Well I am not sure really, until we get bored with it? It is going to be a sandbox version of Chult without all of the Soul Monger and Acerak stuff. Just homebrew with Chult as a backdrop.

Brawnspear
2020-07-22, 04:28 PM
Could also try multiclassing over to Arcane Archer, if your DM will let you use it with crossbows, for some special shots. Depend on how much direct spell support you want, could either go mostly fighter or mostly artificer. Going battle smith gets you some smite spells (not sure off the top of my head if they are useable on ranged attacks, I know some of the smite spells are) and artificers already get access to Elemental weapon. So 3 levels in Arcane archer would get you a fighting style, possibly armor prof, and 2 short rest arrow abilities. Could also go a few levels of Alchemist and primary arcane archer for some concentrationless buffs that could be explained by various critters.

Could also ditch artificer completely and go warlock with the good old Eldritch blast reflavor. Can pick up a variety of upgrades to it, pushing, pulling, slowing, extended range etc. Reflavor other invocations as different gadgets or creatures.

If your DM lets you make wands, artillerist may indeed be the way to go. Crafting a wand of web (spiderfriend!) and a wand of magic missile (BEEEEEES)

w15p
2020-07-22, 07:52 PM
This is The Stranger, I am sure a lot of you are familiar with him. <snip>

um... no? but it looks really cool and I would love a pointer to it.

w15p
2020-07-23, 12:17 AM
Do a search for "Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath."
Thank you!