PDA

View Full Version : Could Milo's world have a city bomb?

keybounce
2020-07-22, 03:51 PM
So over in this closed thread, https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?184664-So-why-doesn-t-the-locate-city-bomb-work, there was a description of a spell that would basically destroy a city.

It sure looks like it would work in a rules-as-written environment. And I'm thinking of Milo, from Harry Potter and the Natural 20, who comes from such a world.

So, would that spell be possible in that world?

OldTrees1
2020-07-22, 04:39 PM
1) The general consensus was/is that the Locate City Bomb does not work by RAW. (Which I won't get into because the other thread was locked)
2) HP and the natural d20 uses RAW but not extreme cheese. So it is unlikely to exist.

Friv
2020-07-23, 03:58 PM
There's really two questions here - could the spell be designed in Milo's world, and would Milo specifically have it. The answer to #1 is "probably not" and the answer to #2 is "definitely not."

For question #1, the spell probably doesn't work; it requires a lot of eyebrow-raising rules interpretations, the least iffy of which is that one of the feats involved requires modifying a spell when it's prepared, and the other one modifies it when it is cast, and the one that modifies it when it is cast has to be used first, and the most iffy of which is that the spell's area targets a single thing within it but the damage modifier assumes the damage applies to the whole area, not to the one object in the area. While Milo's D&D world is fairly laissez-faire (see "creating backstory on the fly" and "recognizing character importance by number of descriptors") the evidence is that it's not that laissez-faire.

Even if it was, the spell requires a Level 10 human wizard, Level 12 nonhuman wizard, Level 15 human sorcerer, or Level 18 nonhuman sorcerer to spend their entire career building towards a combination of effects that they are hoping will do what they want. They need to begin play with two starting feats that are not very good, and then survive a few levels of adventuring while picking up other feats that aren't that great, until they're high enough level to learn Locate City and get the final feat to upgrade their spell damage.

And Milo isn't Level 10, and doesn't have the required feats.

Quertus
2020-07-23, 06:11 PM
1) The general consensus was/is that the Locate City Bomb does not work by RAW. (Which I won't get into because the other thread was locked)
2) HP and the natural d20 uses RAW but not extreme cheese. So it is unlikely to exist.

Mostly agree. However, for #2? I don't think anything is *cheesier* than the tower shield trick Milo used. So it's more (IMO) "RAW, except things that the GM has house ruled", and Milo found a loophole that the GM had not (yet!) fixed.

Locate City Bomb is so well known, I expect his GM has closed that particular loophole.

Sapphire Guard
2020-07-24, 06:02 AM
If it did, Milo's world wouldn't have cities for long.

Lord Torath
2020-07-24, 08:11 AM
1) The general consensus was/is that the Locate City Bomb does not work by RAW. (Which I won't get into because the other thread was locked)As I understand it, the thread was locked due to Thread Necromancy, rather than any other rule-breaking. So if you want to continue to discuss the Locate City Bomb, you can probably1 start a new thread to do so. In the correct sub-forum. If you feel there is something left to discuss about it.

1 Not being the Mod on Silver Mountain, I can't say for certain why the thread was closed. If you're curious or want explicit permission to open a new thread, contact Peelee (or another mod) for direction.

dspeyer
2020-07-30, 03:05 AM
If it did, Milo's world wouldn't have cities for long.

Judging by the tower shield trick, you could probably use it once and then the laws of magic would be altered so you couldn't use it again. So it would have one fewer cities than it otherwise might.