PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Please explain to me how you can smite on a booming blade or green flame blade spell

Klorox
2020-07-22, 05:22 PM
I know you can, I know it’s possible, I just don’t fully understand the mechanics of it.

I plan on playing a paladin 2/sorcerer 2 in a game soon and I want to make sure I know what I’m talking about.

Haha, thanks guys!

Aett_Thorn
2020-07-22, 05:28 PM
Paladins can smite when they make a successful melee weapon attack. BB and GFB Force you to make a melee weapon attack. As such, if the attack lands, you get to smite if you want to.

Just keep in mind that even if you go Paladin 5 for Extra Attack, using BB or GFB means that you don’t get a second attack, since you used the “cast a spell” action, not the “attack” action.

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-22, 06:37 PM
Paladins can smite when they make a successful melee weapon attack. BB and GFB Force you to make a melee weapon attack. As such, if the attack lands, you get to smite if you want to.

Just keep in mind that even if you go Paladin 5 for Extra Attack, using BB or GFB means that you don’t get a second attack, since you used the “cast a spell” action, not the “attack” action.

Just to organize things to make them easier to see:

Attack Action -> Make a Weapon Attack.

Cast A Spell Action -> Booming Blade -> Make a Melee Weapon Attack, add some lightning juice if it hits.

Extra Attack -> When you take the Attack Action, make a 2nd Weapon Attack.

Divine Smite -> When you hit something with a Melee Weapon Attack, spend a spell slot to add some smite juice to it.