PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Please explain how many spells a character can cast in a turn to me.

Klorox
2020-07-22, 05:25 PM
I’ve read that it’s one spell, I’ve read that it’s one spell and a cantrip, I’ve read that it’s one spell and a bonus action spell, and it’s honestly just one of those things I’ve never quite understood.

Thank you so much for explaining it to me.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-07-22, 05:28 PM
The answer is.... One spell.
A cantrip is not a spell, and as such can be cast seperately.

Aett_Thorn
2020-07-22, 05:32 PM

Where are you getting that Cantrips aren’t spells?

The answer is that it depends. If you cast a spell (any spell, including a cantrip) as a bonus action, the only other spell that you can cast on that turn is a cantrip that uses an action to cast.

So, you can cast a leveled spell as a bonus action, and use an action to cast a cantrip. But you can’t cast a bonus action cantrip, then try to use your action to cast a leveled spell.

stoutstien
2020-07-22, 05:33 PM
Generally you can cast either a spell with your action or one with your bonus action excluding cantrips. There are some specific ways that you can cast more spells during a single turn such as using action surge which grants an additional action so you could cast 2 spells as long as they both take an action. You could theoretically have a reaction spell that can occur during your turn as well.

RedheadDev
2020-07-22, 05:35 PM

A cantrip is definitely a spell (There's a sage advice topic on this, where JC specifically says a cantrip is a spell).

That being said, the maximum you can do is 1 spell of 1st level or above, and 1 cantrip.

OldTrees1
2020-07-22, 05:38 PM
Did you cast a spell?

No -=> No additional restrictions.
Yes -=> Did you cast it as a bonus action?

Yes -=> Then you can't cast other spells this turn. UNLESS that spell is a Cantrip.
No -=> Was it a Cantrip?

Yes -=> No additional restrictions.
No -=> Then you can't cast spells using your Bonus Action this turn.

(Even if you know a bonus action spell or quicken metamagic)
(No, not even a Bonus Action cantrip like Shillelagh)

5E PHB pg 202

JackPhoenix
2020-07-22, 05:39 PM
As many spells as you have actions (Action Surge grants you another action you can use to cast a spell, Haste grants you another action, but it can only be used for few specific things, spellcasting not included), plus one as a reaction.

If you cast any spell as a bonus action, you can only cast as many *cantrips* as you have actions (see above). No reaction spells in such case.

RedheadDev
2020-07-22, 05:40 PM
Did you cast a spell?

Yes -=> Did you cast it as a bonus action?

Yes -=> Then you can't cast another spells this turn. UNLESS that spell is a Cantrip.
No -=> Was it a Cantrip?

Yes -=> No additional restrictions.
No -=> Then you can't cast spells using your Bonus Action this turn.

No -=> No additional restrictions.

You can't cast spells using your Bonus Action this turn, unless you're a sorcerer and you quicken a cantrip.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-07-22, 05:41 PM
You can't cast spells using your Bonus Action this turn, unless you're a sorcerer and you quicken a cantrip.

Or unless it's a spell with a casting time of Bonus Action, like Hex, Misty Step or Hunter's Mark to name a few.

EDIT: Not actually sure if you meant cannot cast as a bonus action period or you meant that a Sorcerer quickening a spell would circumvent the restrictions. Either way, there are spells you can cast as a bonus action and that limits further spellcasting to Cantrips for your action (and also prevents you from casting as a reaction until your turn ends). Quickening a spell doesn't lift these restrictions.

Falconcry
2020-07-22, 05:42 PM
It depends on which of the four casting times a spell is which is listed in the description.

The most common are One Action. These take up your main action in combat including most cantrips.

The second most common is 1 Bonus Action casting time. This take up a Bonus action rather then your main action and come with the caveat that you can only cast a cantrip during your regular action that turn.

The third most common are reaction spells like Shield or Absorbing Elements. These are cast on someone else's turn and don't matter if a BA spell was used.

The last casting time are spells beyond One Action that normally cannot really be cast in combat. If your wizard wants to spend 10 Rounds trying to get a Teleportation Circle ready then good luck but normally combat does not last that long.

There are some abilities like Meta-magic that can change the casting time of spells, or in the case of Action Surge cast two spells in a turn (but if a bonus spell is cast both those spells are cantrips).

OldTrees1
2020-07-22, 05:43 PM

Under which branch of the If/Else tree?
If a Sorcerer casts Fireball, they can't quicken Fire Bolt that turn. Quickening Fire Bolt would prohibit casting Fireball earlier in the turn. Just like a Druid casting Cure Wounds prohibits them from casting Shillelagh

MrStabby
2020-07-22, 05:43 PM
You can also use a reaction to cast a spell on your turn - such as countering a shield spell or counterspell or using hellish rebukeif you trigger an opportunity attack.. This has no further restrictions to it.

RedheadDev
2020-07-22, 05:48 PM
Under which branch of the If/Else tree?
If a Sorcerer casts Fireball, they can't quicken Fire Bolt that turn. Quickening Fire Bolt would prohibit casting Fireball earlier in the turn. Just like a Druid casting Cure Wounds prohibits them from casting Shillelagh

Ohhhh, yeah you're right. I forgot that the RAW specifies a "cantrip with a casting time of 1 action" as the only "second" spell you can cast, so as soon as you quicken it, it breaks the rules.

OldTrees1
2020-07-22, 05:53 PM
Ohhhh, yeah you're right. I forgot that the RAW specifies a "cantrip with a casting time of 1 action" as the only "second" spell you can cast, so as soon as you quicken it, it breaks the rules.

Yeah, that was rather weird.

I reformatted the tree for better reading and added notes for the explicit case.

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-22, 06:28 PM
It's really not all that complicated, guys:

"If you cast a spell as a Bonus Action, all other spells in same turn must be Cantrips."

That's it. That's all you have to remember. Do that, and you're 100% accurate with virtually no exceptions.

There's a weird one that might happen if you have War Caster and you can make an Opportunity Attack during your turn...somehow. I guess you could be a Sorcerer and Quicken Dissonant Whispers to force an enemy to run away, and then use War Caster to hit the target while they run away during your turn as a Cantrip, but there's a rule on the whole 'Bonus Action Spell' thing that blocks off Reaction-timing spells...for some reason. Point is, it's neither important or even likely possible.

If you can cast two spells with Action Surge, they can be whatever you want. If you cast two spells with Action Surge and want to cast a Bonus Action spell, the two Action Surge spells need to be Cantrips.

Bobthewizard
2020-07-22, 06:50 PM
Interesting, so if you quicken a fireball and someone counterspells it, you can't cast counterspell as a reaction on your turn. I hadn't thought of that before.

Mikal
2020-07-22, 07:00 PM
Interesting, so if you quicken a fireball and someone counterspells it, you can't cast counterspell as a reaction on your turn. I hadn't thought of that before.

What’s more amusing is that a multiclass fighter 2 using action surge can cast two fireballs and then use their counter spell as a reaction, while simply quickening the fireballs doesn’t.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-07-22, 07:18 PM
A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn. You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

Note that this only applies if the spell's casting time is a bonus action, not if you manage to use a bonus action to cast a spell that doesn't have that as its casting time. Quicken Spell makes the spell's casting time a bonus action, so that rule applies when using that metamagic. Illusionist's Bracers technically don't modify the spell's casting time, it just allows you to cast the cantrip again by spending a bonus action to do so, ignoring the cantrip's casting time.

To answer the OP, there are two answers for two different situations:

1. If you cast a spell that has a casting time of 1 Bonus Action, you may only cast that spell and one cantrip that has a casting time of 1 Action during the turn.

2. If none of the spells you cast has a casting time of 1 Bonus Action, you may cast as many spells as you have the actions and spell slots available to spend on them.

MaxWilson
2020-07-22, 07:23 PM
It's really not all that complicated, guys:

"If you cast a spell as a Bonus Action, all other spells in same turn must be Cantrips."

That's it. That's all you have to remember. Do that, and you're 100% accurate with virtually no exceptions.

There's a weird one that might happen if you have War Caster and you can make an Opportunity Attack during your turn...somehow. I guess you could be a Sorcerer and Quicken Dissonant Whispers to force an enemy to run away, and then use War Caster to hit the target while they run away during your turn as a Cantrip, but there's a rule on the whole 'Bonus Action Spell' thing that blocks off Reaction-timing spells...for some reason. Point is, it's neither important or even likely possible.

If you can cast two spells with Action Surge, they can be whatever you want. If you cast two spells with Action Surge and want to cast a Bonus Action spell, the two Action Surge spells need to be Cantrips.

That exception isn't even an exception--you couldn't cast a reaction spell since you've already cast a bonus action spell.

One thing I want to call out explicitly: one consequence if that Quicken Spell (sorcerer metamagic) and other metamagics are effectively mutually exclusive. You can't do Quickened Fire Bolt and Careful Web. You can do Quickened Web and Fire Bolt, but if you want to use Careful you have to slow down and actually cast Web with your action.

This effectively reduces the value of Quickened Spell for anyone but a gish (multiclassed warrior/mage, typically someone like a Paladin with Extra Attack) or a sorlock (someone who Quickens multiple Eldritch Blast cantrips whenever things get hot).

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-22, 07:29 PM
That exception isn't even an exception--you couldn't cast a reaction spell since you've already cast a bonus action spell..
Right, I meant it as "there is one small caveat where you can't cast certain cantrips", not "you can ignore the cantrip requirement in this one circumstance".

sithlordnergal
2020-07-22, 08:51 PM
One thing I want to call out explicitly: one consequence if that Quicken Spell (sorcerer metamagic) and other metamagics are effectively mutually exclusive. You can't do Quickened Fire Bolt and Careful Web. You can do Quickened Web and Fire Bolt, but if you want to use Careful you have to slow down and actually cast Web with your action.

This effectively reduces the value of Quickened Spell for anyone but a gish (multiclassed warrior/mage, typically someone like a Paladin with Extra Attack) or a sorlock (someone who Quickens multiple Eldritch Blast cantrips whenever things get hot).

Eh? You'd be able to do Careful Web then Quickened Firebolt. There's nothing preventing you from doing so, as long as you're casting two different spells. Now, you couldn't do a Careful Quickened Web, nor could you do Quicken Firebolt then Careful Web. But you can certainly cast Careful Web first, followed by a Quickened Firebolt.

MaxWilson
2020-07-22, 09:06 PM
Eh? You'd be able to do Careful Web then Quickened Firebolt. There's nothing preventing you from doing so, as long as you're casting two different spells. Now, you couldn't do a Careful Quickened Web, nor could you do Quicken Firebolt then Careful Web. But you can certainly cast Careful Web first, followed by a Quickened Firebolt.

No, you can't. If you cast a bonus action spell (Quickened Firebolt), you can't cast another non-cantrip spell during the same turn (Careful Web).

A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

"During the same turn" applies even retroactively, not just after the bonus action spell. Otherwise the restriction would be meaningless and you'd be able to do things like double-Fireball: Fireball followed by Quickened Fireball.

greenstone
2020-07-22, 09:31 PM
The most spells you can cast in one round is four, but you only get that many if you have Action Surge and a cantrip with a casting time of 1 Reaction (as I write this, there aren't any but they might of ocurse be added in future books). The War Caster feat does apply as it lets you cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action.

Allowed during your Turn (no Action Surge)

Action
Bonus Action
Reaction

Cantrip
Any level
(None)

Cantrip
(None)
Cantrip

Cantrip
(None)
Level 1+

Cantrip
(None)
(None)

Level 1+
(None)
Cantrip

Level 1+
(None)
Level 1+

Level 1+
(None)
(None)

(None)
Any level
(None)

(None)
(None)
Cantrip

(None)
(None)
Level 1+

"(None)" means doing something other than Cast a Spell.

Allowed during your Turn (Action Surge)

2 Actions
Bonus Action
Reaction

Two Cantrips
Any level
(None)

Two Cantrips
(None)
Cantrip

Two Cantrips
(None)
Level 1+

Two Cantrips
(None)
(None)

Cantrip and Level 1+
(None)
Cantrip

Cantrip and Level 1+
(None)
Level 1+

Cantrip and Level 1+
(None)
(None)

Two Level 1+
(None)
Cantrip

Two Level 1+
(None)
Level 1+

Two Level 1+
(None)
(None)

Disallowed

Anything not in the list above. :smallbiggrin:

Marcelinari
2020-07-22, 09:42 PM
I’ve got a follow-up question - barring Quicken Spell shenanigans, what’s the most dangerous/broken/problematic combination that would arise if you could cast 2 levelled spells in a turn, one bonus, one regular?

Tanarii
2020-07-22, 09:51 PM
That exception isn't even an exception--you couldn't cast a reaction spell since you've already cast a bonus action spell.It is an exception, because MoG failing to include "with a casting time of one action" in his statement. As worded, his rule it implies you can still cast cantrip reactions, making it less than 100% right because it has a big exception. You can't cast any reaction spells if you cast a bonus action spell. (Edit: although his point it's probably not worth noting is valid. :smallyuk: at myself)

Similarly greenstone's chart above has the same mistake in it.

greenstone
2020-07-22, 09:56 PM
I’ve got a follow-up question - barring Quicken Spell shenanigans, what’s the most dangerous/broken/problematic combination that would arise if you could cast 2 levelled spells in a turn, one bonus, one regular?

Hold monster then disintegrate? This essentially changes disintegrate from a DEX saving throw to a WIS saving throw.

Polymorph then power word kill, for a save-or-die situation.

Klorox
2020-07-22, 09:57 PM
What about a character with action surge? Can s/he cast two fireballs in a turn?

OldTrees1
2020-07-22, 10:07 PM
What about a character with action surge? Can s/he cast two fireballs in a turn?

As long as they don't cast a spell with a bonus action in the same turn, yes. If you have 2 actions you can cast 2 fireballs. But you can't cast 2 Fireballs and Shillelagh in the same turn.

MaxWilson
2020-07-22, 10:40 PM

Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound + Wall of Force = autokill if they can't teleport, unless your concentration can be broken first.

Merudo
2020-07-22, 10:49 PM
One thing I want to call out explicitly: one consequence if that Quicken Spell (sorcerer metamagic) and other metamagics are effectively mutually exclusive.

Well, except for Quicken + Empowered but I get what you are saying :)

Contrast
2020-07-23, 03:54 AM
snip

You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

Not that there are any cantrips with a reaction casting time but...

Chronos
2020-07-23, 06:26 AM
There can be cantrips with a reaction casting time, if you have War Caster.

Eldritch Knight/sorcerer with War Caster. Uses Action Surge, spends his two actions on casting Booming Blade twice. Quickens Dissonant Whispers, and uses his bonus action to cast it. So far, fine: He has a bonus action spell and all the rest of his spells are action cantrips. Enemy flees, and he'd like to use his reaction to cast a third Booming Blade, but he can't, because it's not a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

Aett_Thorn
2020-07-23, 06:45 AM
There can be cantrips with a reaction casting time, if you have War Caster.

Eldritch Knight/sorcerer with War Caster. Uses Action Surge, spends his two actions on casting Booming Blade twice. Quickens Dissonant Whispers, and uses his bonus action to cast it. So far, fine: He has a bonus action spell and all the rest of his spells are action cantrips. Enemy flees, and he'd like to use his reaction to cast a third Booming Blade, but he can't, because it's not a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

How is BB not a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action, even in this scenario? War caster doesn’t change the base casting time of the spell, it just gives you another way of casting it.

Quicken spell actually changes the casting time action of the spell in question. War caster does not.

Edit: Just to give my justification for this -

Quickened Spell
When you cast a spell that has a casting time of 1 action, you can spend 2 sorcery points to change the casting time to 1 bonus action for this casting.

War Caster
When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-07-23, 06:56 AM
Cantrips are spells.

If you cast a spell with a bonus action you can only cast cantrip with a casting time of an action.
If you have action surge or two you can cast two or three total cantrip with a casting time of an action at the same turn.

There is a discussion everywhere about if you can cast a reaction spell at the same turn or not. So I will live it as a maybe.

If you didn't cast a bonus action spell you can cast with your action, reaction and one or two more spells with action surge.
It is a maximum of four spells.

I hope I wrote it in an easy to understand way.

Marcelinari
2020-07-23, 07:12 AM
Hold monster then disintegrate? This essentially changes disintegrate from a DEX saving throw to a WIS saving throw.

Polymorph then power word kill, for a save-or-die situation.

Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound + Wall of Force = autokill if they can't teleport, unless your concentration can be broken first.

All of these are single-action spells, and the only way to chain them is Quicken Spell (outside of action surge, which already allows the combination). Without Quicken Spell shenanigans, using only existing spell casting times, what’s the most dangerous/broken/problematic combination of spells that would arise if you could cast 2 levelled spells in a turn, one bonus, one regular?

Tanarii
2020-07-23, 08:12 AM
How is BB not a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action, even in this scenario? War caster doesn’t change the base casting time of the spell, it just gives you another way of casting it.
If it doesn't change the casting time to a reaction, then you cannot cast it by using your reaction. Using the matching action type is a requirement of casting a spell. Pretty straight forward.

Aett_Thorn
2020-07-23, 08:20 AM
If it doesn't change the casting time to a reaction, then you cannot cast it by using your reaction. Using the matching action type is a requirement of casting a spell. Pretty straight forward.

But then wouldn't we get into a paradox situation, where a spell used through Warcaster has it's action type changed to a Reaction, and therefore now it's ineligible to be used through Warcaster?

Warcaster allows you to use a spell that has a cast time of 1 action as a reaction. I see nothing in the RAW that it actually changes to spell to use a casting time of 1 reaction. the end result is pretty much the same thing, except for the edge case that we're talking about here.

You can (obviously) use a spell with a cast time of a reaction as a reaction. You cannot normally use a spell with a cast time of an action as a reaction, unless you can either change the spell action type, or something gives you the ability to use an action spell as a reaction. Warcaster, I argue, does the latter, not the former. Quicken spell, on the other hand, specifically mentions that it changes the spell cast time.

Tanarii
2020-07-23, 08:25 AM
But then wouldn't we get into a paradox situation, where a spell used through Warcaster has it's action type changed to a Reaction, and therefore now it's ineligible to be used through Warcaster?

Warcaster allows you to use a spell that has a cast time of 1 action as a reaction. I see nothing in the RAW that it actually changes to spell to use a casting time of 1 reaction. the end result is pretty much the same thing, except for the edge case that we're talking about here.
It's not a paradox. Changing the action type is a prerequisite for the feat to actually work. If it doesn't change the action in the process, you cannot cast the spell at all using the Cast a Spell action on p192 and Casting Time section on p202.

MaxWilson
2020-07-23, 10:15 AM
All of these are single-action spells, and the only way to chain them is Quicken Spell (outside of action surge, which already allows the combination). Without Quicken Spell shenanigans, using only existing spell casting times, what’s the most dangerous/broken/problematic combination of spells that would arise if you could cast 2 levelled spells in a turn, one bonus, one regular?

Oh, I see. You're asking what is the most exploitable bonus-action spell in the PHB/Xanathar's/etc.

It's probably just Misty Step in that case then. Cast a spell, then cast Misty Step to keep yourself safe. Repeat ad nauseum, no concentration cost. Today that doesn't work great because it prevents other spellcasting.

Marcelinari
2020-07-23, 10:58 AM
That’s a good answer to my question, but the thrust of what I was getting at is: is the Bonus Action Spell, Standard Action Cantrip limitation only in existence to limit the sorcerer’s Quicken Spell metamagic? Or, I suppose, other future mechanics which simulate the same capability?

If that’s the case, why not put the limitation on Quicken Spell, and not Bonus Action spells in general? It’s counterintuitive that 2 spells which use up separate action types cannot be cast within the same turn, basically arbitrarily.

Aett_Thorn
2020-07-23, 11:05 AM
It's not a paradox. Changing the action type is a prerequisite for the feat to actually work. If it doesn't change the action in the process, you cannot cast the spell at all using the Cast a Spell action on p192 and Casting Time section on p202.

So I'm going to make an argument for my case, but I'm fully willing to be prepared that I might be wrong.

The rules that you are citing are general rules, and we know that in this game, Specific beats General. But even with that said, I want to quote the rules you're using here.

So this is from the Cast a Spell Action part of the Actions rules:

Cast a Spell
Spellcasters such as wizards and clerics, as well as many monsters, have access to spells and can use them to great effect in combat. Each spell has a casting time, which specifies whether the caster must use an action, a reaction, minutes, or even hours to cast the spell. Casting a spell is, therefore, not necessarily an action. Most spells do have a casting time of 1 action, so a spellcaster often uses his or her action in combat to cast such a spell. See chapter 10 for the rules on spellcasting.

Here, we see that spells have a casting time, and that this casting time uses the respective action type, so that a Reaction spell uses up your Reaction for the round, and an Action spell uses your Action. Got it. However, I see nothing here saying that a spell used as a Reaction through other means requires it to change action type.

But let's move onto the Spellcasting Rules section that you point to:

Casting Time
Most spells require a single action to cast, but some spells require a bonus action, a reaction, or much more time to cast.

Bonus Action
A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn. You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

Reactions
Some spells can be cast as reactions. These spells take a fraction of a second to bring about and are cast in response to some event. If a spell can be cast as a reaction, the spell description tells you exactly when you can do so.

Pretty much the same thing, just written differently. Spells take up the respective casting times, and they will tell you specifically what type of spell they are. But again, nothing on what happens if you change the casting action type using other features. And I see nothing that says that "If it doesn't change the action in the process, you cannot cast the spell at all using the Cast a Spell action". Again, these are general rules, so I wouldn't expect them to get into the nitty gritty on this.

So we can look at other places where the spell casting action type is changed, and see how they're written to get a sense of it. As I quote before, Quicken spell specifies that the action type changes from an Action to a Bonus Action. I think that this was done to ensure that the whole "You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action." rider. Otherwise, you could Quicken a spell, and it would at least be arguable or how it interacts with this rule. But since they do specify that, then we're good to go.

You can also Ready a spell, and use your reaction to cast it. But again, the language of this rule does not say that the spell changes from an Action to a Reaction:

When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs.

You cast it with your action, and just hold onto the energy until you need it. No change in casting action type there.

Then we get back to the spell reaction text from Warcaster:

When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

No change in casting action type is specified in this rule, unlike with Quicken Spell.

So this is a case where I think that the Specific Rule (Warcaster) trumps the General Rule (normal spellcasting rules for action type). Now, certainly I get where you're coming from, but I don't think that it's as clear cut as just "no, you can't do this." I think that you can because the casting action type doesn't change for a spell when you use the Warcaster feat to do it. I also think that this is a place where casting a bonus action spell doesn't allow you to do something that you could if you didn't cast a bonus action spell, which makes it weird. If you cast Dissonant Whispers as an Action, you could use Warcaster to hit the creature with a Reaction Disintegrate if you wanted to, and could certainly use Booming Blade. But if you cast Dissonant Whispers as a Bonus Action, you can't. I'm certainly not arguing that if you cast DW as a Bonus Action that you should then be able to hit the creature with a Disintegrate, but I don't think that Booming Blade is a problem.

Again, happy to be proven wrong on this, but nothing that I can see explicitly in the rules you mention does not allow this.

greenstone
2020-10-21, 07:04 PM
It is an exception, because MoG failing to include "with a casting time of one action" in his statement. As worded, his rule it implies you can still cast cantrip reactions, making it less than 100% right because it has a big exception. You can't cast any reaction spells if you cast a bonus action spell. (Edit: although his point it's probably not worth noting is valid. :smallyuk: at myself)

Similarly greenstone's chart above has the same mistake in it.

Sorry for the late reply to this, somehow I missed your post when you made it months ago.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake, Tanarii, I'll update the chart.

Edea
2020-10-21, 07:29 PM
You can cast one leveled spell per turn.

Cantrips do not have this limit. You can cast as many cantrips as you have appropriate actions for them. If for some reason you're able to cast a cantrip as an action, a bonus action, and a reaction with a trigger condition that's been fulfilled, then you can cast it with all three of those actions on the same turn.

I think an example would be casting shocking grasp as an action, quickened shocking grasp as a bonus action, and then making use of the war caster feat to use your reaction for a shocking grasp as an opportunity attack. Any one of those might be replace with a leveled spell, but no more than one of them.

Aimeryan
2020-10-21, 07:52 PM
You can cast one leveled spell per turn.

Not true; Warcaster allows you to cast two.

Mr Adventurer
2020-10-21, 07:58 PM
Not true; Warcaster allows you to cast two.

So long as you don't also cast any spells with a Bonus Action, right?

Peelee
2020-10-21, 08:01 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Dead threads don't get any Actions.