PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Come on in heEeEEre!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-30, 10:50 AM
Rocoulm

http://www.photosleeve.com/d/361468-1/Rocoulm.jpg

Small Outsider (evil, extraplanar, law)
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 dex, +4 natural, +1 size), touch 13, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+1
Attack: Rocoulm's torch +8 melee (1d4+2 plus 1d6 fire) or Bite +7 melee (1d3+1)
Full Attack: Rocoulm's torch +8 melee (1d4+2 plus 1d6 fire) or Bite +7 melee (1d3+1) and 2 claws +5 melee (1d3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate portal, distortion of hades, jibblies, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Immunity to sonic and poison, outsider traits, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, see in darkness, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 17
Skills: Bluff +10, Diplomacy +12, Hide +9, Intimidate +12, Listen +9, Move Silently +9, Spot +9, Use Magic Device +9
Feats: Ability Focus (jibblies), Multiattack Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Gray Wastes of Hades
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Half-standard plus torch
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Advancement: 5-9 HD (Small), 10-15 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +4

This being appears as a strange, distorted devil of stark white skin and eyes that blaze redly from the depths of its bottomless black eyes. It has clawed feet and hands, and a maw of razor teeth that constantly shifts and alters with a surreal quality...

A rocoulm is a strange, lowly devil that entices other creatures into Hades by causing a horrible infliction upon those they care for though a portal of its own making. It will then make a deal with one, that it will release their loved ones if they come within its hellish home for eternity. As the being succumbs to the entrapping qualities of the plane the rocoulm takes of its soul.

A rocoulm weighs 40 lbs. and stands 4 feet tall. It speaks Abyssal and uses its telepathy to speak with non-devils.

Combat
A rocoulm uses its jibblies ability to great affect to entice one to join with it in hell. If attacked on the plane it will also use the jibblies, but if this is not enough it darkens the area and extinguishes the torch to handicap its opponent. It then uses its claws and teeth to disable, but not kill if it wishes to siphon their waning life force.

Animate Portal (Su): A rocoulm possesses the ability to animate a single painting, card, page, or other like surface anywhere it wishes. This becomes as an animated object of the same size as the object, though has to be Large sized or smaller. The rocoulm fully controls the actions of this object. This object also acts as a portal into the rocoulm's realm, and those that step within are immediately transported. The rocoulm can see through the painting and use its jibblies ability, plus any of its spells, through the portal. Those outside the painting however cannot use any abilities upon the rocoulm through the painting.
The rocoulm may animate another object and unanimate its current object at any time.

Distortion of Hades (Su): A rocoulm distorts and dampens both color and sound. Everything within 60 feet of a rocoulm has its hue altered and darkened. Spells dealing with color, such as color spray, or any prismatic spells, have a 20% chance of failing. As well, a rocoulm can use a full-round action to speak horrible words in Abyssal. Those who try to cast a spell with a sonic descriptor in that round requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). The latter is a sonic affect.

Jibblies (Su): As a standard action a rocoulm can cause all beings in a 10-foot cone to shudder uncontrollably with horror that worsen into hideous spasms. Those affected become permanently dazed unless they succeed on a DC 17 will save. Those that make their save are unaffected by the same rocoulm's jibblies for 24 hours. The rocoulm can remove the jibblies from any or all affected by this ability as a standard action. This is a sonic, mind-affecting fear effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

See in Darkness (Su): A rocoulm can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 4th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
At Will - Darkness, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
3/day - Scrying (DC 16)
1/day - Deeper Darkness, Dispel Magic, Hold Person (DC 16), Silence

-=-=-=-=-

Rocoulm Torch
The torch of the rocoulm acts as a +1 flaming club. It never burns out (though may be extinguished with a thought by the rocoulm), and reveals all invisible creatures and objects, and counters or dispels any darkness spell of 4th level or lower, such as darkness. If an illusion is struck with the torch's flame it dispel it as the Dispel Magic spell (CL 4th).

Hannes
2007-10-30, 10:53 AM
Looks fine, but permanently dazed?

jindra34
2007-10-30, 10:53 AM
Wow this guy is creepy...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-30, 10:58 AM
Looks fine, but permanently dazed?
Spells that remove fear remove the affliction. Much easier to do that than remove a cockatrice's permanent petrification (and are similar CR's).

Wow this guy is creepy...
He's from the latest Homestarrunner Halloween toon ;)
http://www.homestarrunner.com/ween07.html

Hannes
2007-10-30, 10:59 AM
Our definitions of permanent are quite different then, I guess...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-30, 11:05 AM
Our definitions of permanent are quite different then, I guess...
Eh?
Add, add, add more text to satisfy the minimum word count...

Kaelaroth
2007-10-30, 11:54 AM
Another fine creation Mr. Tribble. Well done.

I wish I had one of these guys to set on small children my enemies. :smallsmile:

TheLogman
2007-10-30, 12:37 PM
Beeeep Beeeeep! Ooop look at that it's your eternity alarm.

Very nice man, very very nice. Heh hehheh Ability Focus (Jibblies) heh.

gruegirl
2007-11-02, 06:01 PM
Technically if it has the law subtype (and is thus LAWFUL evil) it should speak Infernal and be described as a devil rather then a demon... oh and it's environment should be the 9 hells (or at least any lawful evil aligned plane)

So in other words, change the law subtype to the chaos subtype.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-02, 08:40 PM
I love this. It's the scariest thing ever that isn't scary. *Thumbs up!*

SurlySeraph
2007-11-02, 08:44 PM
Okay, a creature that's creepy and unusual but isn't going to shatter my mind. Devils are quite handy creatures, and this one comes with a very good built-in plot hook. Thank you, Vorpal, this is a) an excellent creature, as usual, and b) a nice break from your nightmare-inducing doom-creations.

ANBU
2007-11-10, 02:06 AM
It's just a horrible painting, albeit an incredibly evil one that also serves as a dimensional portal. Also, it debuted in the 'bottom 10' sbe-mail.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-11-10, 06:59 AM
It's just a horrible painting, albeit an incredibly evil one that also serves as a dimensional portal. Also, it debuted in the 'bottom 10' sbe-mail.
...and?

*rips into ANBU with his fangs*

Thats for being a killjoy. Adoration at my accomplishment should never be discouraged :smallyuk:

KingGolem
2007-11-10, 01:43 PM
I think it's wonderful! You've done it again, Vorpal Tribble! :smallcool:

However, their are a few details which I am not certain of. First of all, why is it Lawful Evil? It seems that it would make more sense for it to be Neutral Evil if it is an inhabitant of Hades. And yes, I do believe Hades was a good choice for its homeplane, since everything was all sketchy when Homestar stepped into the painting. Furthermore, if it was Lawful Evil in the first place, than it should have spoken Infernal.

And second of all, it says that the Jibblies affects creatures in a 10ft cone? I think that ought to be changed to all creatures that can hear it speaking, since Marzipan was jibblied by her answering machine's recording.

Other than that, it's perfect. Well done. :smallbiggrin: