PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A permanency and armor enchanting question

the_tick_rules
2020-07-24, 12:06 AM
would permanency cost no xp if you cast it from a spell storing ring? I know stuff like wish spend the xp to be cast in but no xp being cast out but permanency works a little differently. Come to think of how would miracle work if cast into a spell storing ring? It doesn't cost xp unless you ask for something huge.

I know some people use bracers of armor to enchant armor properties into. If so how would the cost function? If you wanted to add heavily fortified would you add 25k because that is what +5 costs?

Segev
2020-07-24, 02:04 AM
The XP are spent when the spell is put in the ring.

Khedrac
2020-07-24, 02:43 AM
I know some people use bracers of armor to enchant armor properties into. If so how would the cost function? If you wanted to add heavily fortified would you add 25k because that is what +5 costs?

No - you cost it as you would for magic armour, remembering that by default bracers provide an AC bonus of +0 so all of the AC comes from the enchantment.

So bracers of armor +1 heavy fortification cost 36,000gp and bracers of armor +4 heavy fortification cost 81,000gp.

Pinkie Pyro
2020-07-24, 06:38 AM
The XP are spent when the spell is put in the ring.

Then what's the Xp cost of permanency when you cast it?

Kelb_Panthera
2020-07-24, 07:10 AM
Then what's the Xp cost of permanency when you cast it?

It's variable. IIRC it's 500 per level of the spell being made permanent. Going by the scroll as a precedent, the xp you choose to put in determines the highest level spell you can use it with and you waste any excess if you use it with a spell of a lower level.

the_tick_rules
2020-07-25, 03:22 PM
No - you cost it as you would for magic armour, remembering that by default bracers provide an AC bonus of +0 so all of the AC comes from the enchantment.

So bracers of armor +1 heavy fortification cost 36,000gp and bracers of armor +4 heavy fortification cost 81,000gp.
So then if you wanted heavy fortification you couldn't get bracers of armor above 5 then? That's disappointing. You could use body non-armor items (the various robes and whatnot) and enchant them with armor properties right?

Khedrac
2020-07-25, 04:11 PM
So then if you wanted heavy fortification you couldn't get bracers of armor above 5 then? That's disappointing. You could use body non-armor items (the various robes and whatnot) and enchant them with armor properties right?

You are very much into custom item territory there, as there is no reason for an armor property to work when enchanted into such an item, or it may work, but not for you as you are not using the item as armor... This is very much "disucss with DM" first.

The normal option for heavy fortification is a mithral buckler +1, heavy fortification which can be used by anyone (other than a healer, druid or other class forbidden from using it) as it has no ACP it provides no penalty for use. Of course, it cannot be used by someone using another shield.
(I think a darkwood shield would also have no penalty so coulk be used by druids and healers, but I have not checked).

Personally, if going down the custom item route, I would look at getting items that supply the four heart of element spells, they are dispellable, but all 4 at once = full fortification, and the dishcarge properties arepotentialy very useful. (It depends on the character.)

Speaking of which, something I think a lot of people miss:
Heart of Earth provides a number of temporary hit points, can be discharged for a stoneskin effect (without the costly component), stacks with the other spells to give fortification and lasts for hours.
So what? Well because of the all the other things it does, the spell does not vanish when all the temporary hit points are used up - it is still running, just not providing temp hp anymore - so it still gives the fortification effect and can still be discharged for the stoneskin effect!

the_tick_rules
2020-07-25, 04:33 PM
Yeah I'm trying to figure out if there is a valid way for classes like monks who take severe penalties wearing armor to get some critical protections like heavily fortified and soulfire.

Anthrowhale
2020-07-25, 04:46 PM
Arms & Equipment page 130 has a sidebar about adding special armor enhancements to bracers. You can go up to an effective +13 at a cost of 169K gp. If you wanted to, you could max out with up to +12 in armor specials.

RSGA
2020-07-25, 10:14 PM
mithral buckler +1, heavy fortification[/I] which can be used by anyone (other than a healer, druid or other class forbidden from using it) as it has no ACP it provides no penalty for use. Of course, it cannot be used by someone using another shield.
(I think a darkwood shield would also have no penalty so coulk be used by druids and healers, but I have not checked).

Any masterwork light shield or buckler will have no ACP, so unless you wanted to also go into a semi-custom version of the Caster's Shield for arcane types or the reduced weight there's no real reason to splurge on mithril or darkwood. Well, possibly hardness for mithril, but there's other stuff for anti-sundering.