PDA

View Full Version : Build Challenge: Dungémon

ftafp
2020-07-24, 12:17 AM
Since most of our build challenges are made for player characters, I wanted to try something a little different, and a little more... monstrous

Specifically, you will be building a monster/npc inspired by a pokemon of your choice. How you get there is up to you. You can create something from scratch, modify an existing monster, or even take a stat block and tack on class levels.

If you wish you may also make up a regional variant for one of the existing campaign settings. Bonus points to those who find a way incorporate your monster into the setting's lore.

DevilMcam
2020-07-24, 04:29 AM
I'll need a bit of time to write the stats but i'll reserve my favorite : Flareon.

Also very angry Raichu is a straight up kraken statblock using lighting tentacles, but can not breath under water

Amnestic
2020-07-24, 07:45 AM
Mismagius is my favourite pokémon so...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/561287824964452363/736201286273466378/unknown.png

Mismagius
Small undead, Chaotic Neutral
Armor Class13
Hit Points 65 (10d6 + 30)
Speed 0 ft., fly 60 ft. (hover)
STR 4 (-3)
DEX 16 (+3)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 16 (+3)
WIS 11 (+0)
CHA 15 (+2)
Saving Throws Wis +3, Cha +5

Damage Vulnerabilities necrotic
Damage Resistances poison
Damage Immunities bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Condition Immunities exhaustion, grappled, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained

Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Common

Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)

Incorporeal Movement.

Mismagius can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.

Actions
Astonish.

Mismagius unleashes a wave of shadowy magic on all non-undead within 30 feet of her. Those in the area must succeed on a DC14 Wisdom save or take 3d6 psychic damage and be Frightened until the end of their next turn. On a successful save they take half damage and negate the Frightened condition.

Phantom Force (Recharge 5-6).

At the end of her turn, Mismagius vanishes to the Ethereal Plane. At the start of her turn, she returns to an unoccupied space of her choice that she can see within 10 feet of the space you vanished from and can make one Shadow Ball attack with advantage immediately.

If no unoccupied space is available within that range, she can appear in the nearest unoccupied space (chosen at random if more than one space is equally near).

While on the Ethereal Plane, Mismagius can see and hear the plane she originated from, which is cast in shades of gray, and she can't see anything more than 60 feet away. She can only affect and be affected by other creatures on the Ethereal Plane. Creature that aren't there can't perceive her or interact with her, unless they have the ability to do so.

Shadow Ball.

Ranged Spell Attack: : +6 to hit, reach 30/60 ft., one target. Hit: (2d6 + 3) psychic damage.

Used the Wraith as a template for undeath but swapped around some immunities/conditions to better reflect the pokémon then grabbed three abilities. I used Blink (the spell) as a template for Phantom Force. She's vulnerable to ghost/dark damage so I put that as a Necrotic weakness.

SpikeFightwicky
2020-07-25, 01:26 PM
I've been partial to Flygon since he was introduced, so...
https://i.ibb.co/2NwdTS2/Flygon.png
https://i.ibb.co/Y8vGr4w/Flygon-Desert-Spirit.png

Flygon
Large Dragon, Unaligned
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
HP: 168 (16d10+80)
Speed: 30 ft., burrow 30 ft., fly 80ft. (hover)
Ability Scores:
STR: 26 (+6)
DEX: 10 (+0)
CON: 21 (+5)
INT: 14 (+2)
WIS: 11 (+0)
CHA: 19 (+4)
Saving Throws: Dex +4, Con +9, Wis +4, Cha +8
Skills:
Athletics (STR): +10
Perception (WIS): +8
Stealth (Dex): +4

Damage Immunities: Lightning
Damage Resistances: Poison, fire
Damage Vulnerabilities: Cold
Condition Immunities: Prone
Senses: blindsight 30ft., darkvision 120 ft., passive perception 18
Languages: can't speak, but understands common and draconic
CR: 9 (5,000 XP)

Abilities:
Desert Acclimated. While in a desert or mountain landscape, the flygon has advantage on dexterity (stealth) ability checks and doubles its proficiency bonus on dexterity (stealth) ability checks (bringing the total Dexterity (Stealth) check bonus from +4 to +8).
Resist Poison. The flygon has advantage on saving throws against poison, and has resistance against poison damage.
Sandstorm. The flygon can use a bonus action to create a sandstorm in a 20 foot radius sphere within 60 feet of it. The sandstorm blocks line of sight but not movement. A creature is blinded while in the storm's space and must spend 3 feet of movement for every 1 foot it moves there. The flygon can see through the sandstorm as if it weren't there. The sandstorm ends after 1 minute or when the flygon dies or uses Sandstorm again.

Actions:
Multiattack. The Flygon makes 3 attacks: one with is bite and two with its claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., or range 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d10+6) piercing damage.
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d6+6) slashing damage.
Dragon Breath (Recharge 5-6). The flygon exhales a blast in a 30-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking 54 (12d8) force damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Fey type creatures (but not creatures with the Fey Ancestry trait), are immune to this damage.

Variant - Desert Spirit Flygon
This represents an older Flygon, adding the Pokedex fluff and making its breath weapon more like the actual "Dragon Breath" by adding a paralysis rider. Fluff-wise, this older Flygon will lure people into ambushes by buried Trapinch, Vibrava and Krookodile (can we only make one entry? I'd love to stat up those three :smallsmile: ) Make the following changes:
STR 25
CON 23
Sandstorm: 30 foot radius sphere withing 300 feet.
Dragon Breath: Add paralysis rider on a failed save.
Add ability:
Desert Song. When fully within its sandstorm, the flygon flaps its wings to create a series of notes that sound like singing. Every humanoid and giant within 300 feet of the flygon that can hear the sound must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed until the song ends. The flygon must take a bonus action on its subsequent turns to continue singing, and as part of this bonus action, it can move its sandstorm up to 60 ft. in any direction. The flygon can use its own movement to stay withing the sandstorm as it moves. It can stop the song at any time. The song ends if the flygon is incapacitated.
While charmed by the flygon, a target is incapacitated and ignores the desert songs of other flygons. If the charmed target is more than 5 feet away from the flygon, the target must move on its turn toward the flygon by the most direct route, trying to get within 5 feet. It doesn't avoid opportunity attacks, but before moving into damaging terrain, such as lava or a pit, and whenever it takes damage from a source other than the flygon, the target can repeat the saving throw. A charmed target can also repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If the saving throw is successful, the effect ends on it.
A target that successfully saves is immune to this flygon's desert song for the next 24 hours.

CR: Increase by 1.

I was looking for a CR 9, so I took the stat block of a Young Silver Dragon, added hover (Flygon has Levitate), added a Burrow speed (Flygon can "Dig"), removed the second breath weapon, changed damage to "Force" (no idea what damage type "Dragon" is, but it's effective against everything except steel, and deals no damage to Fairies). I added skills, as the fluff makes it seem like Flygon is an excellent athlete and capable of aerial acrobatics, and made it tuned to be a "ground" landscape predator (desert and mountains). Immunities, resistances and vulnerabilities are based off its type, though I don't know how to represent weaknesses to "Dragon" and "Fairy" damage types, since those don't have correlating damage types in 5E, and hover gives immunity to Prone. The Variant is simply an older and more experienced flygon, giving slight increases to its stats, and adding Desert Song, which is basically the Harpy's "Lurid Song" ability with some minor tweaks to make it dependent on Sandstorm. I feel like the CR is accurate, but pushing it... like the silver dragon stat block it's leveraging, I guess.

OMG this is fun! I want to do more :smallbiggrin:
If I want to stat up its pre-evolutions, is there A place to do that?

Dork_Forge
2020-07-25, 06:39 PM
Love the concept for this! And damn the presentation in here is nice, what's everyoner using for their monster statblocks?

Amnestic
2020-07-26, 04:17 AM
Love the concept for this! And damn the presentation in here is nice, what's everyoner using for their monster statblocks?

This (https://tetra-cube.com/dnd/dnd-statblock.html) is what I used, though there might be other sites/programs out there.

sayaijin
2020-07-26, 08:39 AM
Can I just say as a Digimon fan, I thought from the title that we were going to make a monster out of an entire dungeon.

SpikeFightwicky
2020-07-26, 06:57 PM
Can I just say as a Digimon fan, I thought from the title that we were going to make a monster out of an entire dungeon.

"Ball rolling down a slanted hallway" digivolves to... Tomb of Annihilation!

-==-

The "template" I was using is something called DND Monster Maker (v5.4.8). I don't recall where it came from, but I'll try to find a link. I do know that it's a standalone, though!

Wizard_Lizard
2020-07-26, 08:04 PM
Magikarp should be fairly easy to make
6 (2d4+0)
ac 8
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
Actions

SPELLS 40 lvl 1 slots
Splash (Level 1)
+2 to hit, 20d10-200 damage
When runs out of spells can do flail for +2 to hit, 1d4+0 to opponent 1d6+0 damage to self.

Fable Wright
2020-07-26, 09:18 PM
I've been partial to Flygon since he was introduced, so...

I'd reconsider the mechanics of this. Sandstorm as a bonus action means that you have a Young Silver Dragon who can essentially cast Foresight at will and is immune to all LoS spells, since it has one-way non-Concentration visibility, on top of acting as extremely strong battlefield control as a bonus action (center it on a character, and it takes a Dash with all their movement to leave). On top of a 80ft fly speed to take advantage of that battlefield control.

...With the same HP, AC, and offenses as a dragon, with a breath weapon that can't be resisted with Protection From Elements or Absorb Elements. What I'm trying to say is, this is a TPK.

EDIT: Immunity to prone is also really dangerous on a flying creature, since it removes the one way that ground-based characters can get into range of it. Also not sure if bumping the damage on the breath weapon and the save DC across the board is something that should come with only a CR+1 boost.

Avonar
2020-07-27, 07:37 AM
Not my favourite pokemon by a long, long way, but one that would make an interesting encounter for a low level group?

http://www.image-share.com/upload/4088/50.jpg

SpikeFightwicky
2020-07-27, 08:52 AM
I'd reconsider the mechanics of this. Sandstorm as a bonus action means that you have a Young Silver Dragon who can essentially cast Foresight at will and is immune to all LoS spells, since it has one-way non-Concentration visibility, on top of acting as extremely strong battlefield control as a bonus action (center it on a character, and it takes a Dash with all their movement to leave). On top of a 80ft fly speed to take advantage of that battlefield control.

...With the same HP, AC, and offenses as a dragon, with a breath weapon that can't be resisted with Protection From Elements or Absorb Elements. What I'm trying to say is, this is a TPK.

EDIT: Immunity to prone is also really dangerous on a flying creature, since it removes the one way that ground-based characters can get into range of it. Also not sure if bumping the damage on the breath weapon and the save DC across the board is something that should come with only a CR+1 boost.

Awesome feedback! Yeah that all makes sense. I can change sandstorm to an action and remove the ability to see through it. I just realized it has blindsight. As for the damage type, (also, do you mean Protection from Energy?), I figure a Shadow Silver Dragon shoots out necrotic damage at the same CR, which also can't be reacted to with those spells, which felt like an equivalent, and a shadow dragon doesn't add CR and similar stealth abilities. Would a good compromise be reducing the damage to maybe 4d12 (26 average), but add the paralyze rider to the the lesser version? Also, I checked the CR 10 red dragon and saw how they handled the bump in damage, so I'll do more tinkering, using that one as a base. Also, I thought all enemies with "Hover" got immune to prone, but it looks like it's only 36 out of 59 monsters that have both hover and immunity to prone. It seems arbitrary, so yeah I can easily drop the immunity to prone.