PDA

View Full Version : Diablo I (Appreciation & possibly a Battle.net group ?)

Amiria
2007-10-30, 12:12 PM
1) Anyone still playing this game ? I installed it some weeks ago on my PC after I played a bit in multiplayer mode with a friend on his old PS1. It's been many years since I played multiplayer and I never played on BattleNet ... heard all horror stories about cheating and nasty people who kill your character and take your stuff.

2) I bought a good bow for my Rogue from Wirt but I also recently found two other really good ones in the depths of hell. Which should I keep now ? I want to sell at least one to have more room in my inventory.

I have (all three are Long War Bows):

a) Weird (+97% to hit) Bow of Burning (+1-16 Fire Damage) (from Wirt)

b) Massive (+106% damage) Bow of the Stars (+10 to all Attributes) (found)

c) Windforce (Unique Bow: +5 Strength, +200% damage, knocks target back) (found)

Which is the best ? Do I really need a ridiculously high chance to hit on the higher difficulty levels ? I have a 130% change with Windforce, +135% with the Massive Bow of Stars, and 227% with the Weird Bow of Burning.

EDIT: I can add people who are interested in multiplayer games here in the first post.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-30, 12:21 PM
If you are only selling one, sell a) ; that's my opinion anyway.

Windofrce is nice and b) seems pretty nice too.

Winterwind
2007-10-30, 12:28 PM
I'm still playing it now and then, and recently started to play on the BattleNet rather than usual Singleplayer, but with passworded games - that way, I have the advantage of Multiplayer (=several difficulty levels), yet all the civility of Singleplayer as well.

Since pretty much all my characters were either Warriors or Sorcerors though, I can't really give you any educated advice on that, I'm sorry. Going by intuition alone, I think I'd bet on the Windforce though.

EDIT: Wait. Just re-read your post. You do realise that if you play Singleplayer, you get only one difficulty level, and that the other difficulty levels are available in Multiplayer only, right? (there is actually a way to circumvent this, but it requires having a Multiplayer character nevertheless and is rather awkward - namely, after you start a higher difficulty level game in Multiplayer, the next game you create in Singleplayer will have the same difficulty level)

Swordguy
2007-10-30, 12:46 PM
Above all, keep Windforce. The bane of a rogue is people getting into close combat with you. Knockback prevents this. IIRC, it'll even keep Diablo back from you (granted, then he'll burninate you from afar, but still...)

Amiria
2007-10-30, 12:57 PM
Yes, I used the Windforce against Diablo and he wasn't able to close in on me. Poor guy, of course that was with a level 30 rogue on normal difficulty so I don't know if I hit him well enough on nightmare or hell difficulty.

But I'll probably sell the Weird Bow of Burning.

EDIT: Wait. Just re-read your post. You do realise that if you play Singleplayer, you get only one difficulty level, and that the other difficulty levels are available in Multiplayer only, right? (there is actually a way to circumvent this, but it requires having a Multiplayer character nevertheless and is rather awkward - namely, after you start a higher difficulty level game in Multiplayer, the next game you create in Singleplayer will have the same difficulty level)

I play Multiplayer all alone on my PC. I leveled a Rogue to 30, my Sorcerer and Warrior are both close behind at level 29.

So, you still play, eh ? Interesting, I also want to play multiplayer and the easiest way seems to be BattleNet or some other internet connection ... since I don't go to "Netzwerk-Parties" anymore.

Jasdoif
2007-10-30, 01:09 PM
You can pick up the Hellfire expansion if you want to access the other difficulties in single-player. Of course, my little sister broke my Diablo disc a few years ago....

Anyway, Windforce is the best. 200% extra damage on a long war bow comes out to an extra 2-28 damage (IIRC extra percent damage in Diablo I only applies to a weapon's base damage), which easily outdoes the 1-16 fire on option a and isn't subject to fire resistance/immunity. I don't think you need to worry a lot about the hit chance: You're a rogue using a bow, you've got tons of chances to hit. And with Windforce's knockback, every hit gives you even more chances to hit.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-10-30, 01:14 PM
I tried this game, but I got frustrated with how slow the character moves. At least in Diablo II you had a run-mode!:smallfrown:

Winterwind
2007-10-30, 01:17 PM
Yes, I used the Windforce against Diablo and he wasn't able to close in on me. Poor guy, of course that was with a level 30 rogue on normal difficulty so I don't know if I hit him well enough on nightmare or hell difficulty.You can find a complete guide to Diablo 1 here (http://www.lurkerlounge.com/content/view/751/110/), complete with in-detail explanations on how well you can hit which monster on which difficulty level, so you can find out.

But I'll probably sell the Weird Bow of Burning.It does seem like the weakest one of the three to me, too.

I play Multiplayer all alone on my PC. I leveled a Rogue to 30, my Sorcerer and Warrior are both close behind at level 29.Ah, I see. Okay, no problems with limited difficulty level options then. :smallsmile:

So, you still play, eh ? Interesting, I also want to play multiplayer and the easiest way seems to be BattleNet or some other internet connection ... since I don't go to "Netzwerk-Parties" anymore.BattleNet works perfectly, although there don't seem to be many games open anymore, if any at all. Admittedly I hardly ever took the time to check whether any are open, since I just wanted to play alone anyway, plus it usually was rather late in the night.

I don't play D1 all that often, but a multiplayer game might be interesting. :smallwink:

I tried this game, but I got frustrated with how slow the character moves. At least in Diablo II you had a run-mode!:smallfrown:While that's true, you don't see as far, which largely offsets this - the monsters are packed pretty dense, and since you have to be careful about them on the higher difficulty levels (if you run right into an enemy group and start blasting away with a spell they are immune to you might be dead before you realise your mistake), you usually don't want to move that fast.

Also, I find that Diablo 1 has vastly superior atmosphere as compared to Diablo 2. The music, the monsters, the setting, the tales the townsfolk have to tell, it all adds up to a much creepier mood than D2.

Morty
2007-10-30, 01:19 PM
I tried this game, but I got frustrated with how slow the character moves. At least in Diablo II you had a run-mode!:smallfrown:

No comments.
As for Diablo 1, I went through it once in singleplayer, and it was quite good. I don't have it anymore, though. Still, it was good piece of hack'n'slash.

Setra
2007-10-30, 04:02 PM
I still rarely play it on occasion.

What I really try to do is get my friends together so we can all 4 play it... but they're never interested :\ IF they ARE interested in a Diablo game it's the second one.

Prustan
2007-10-31, 03:50 AM
Diablo 1 was good, but I found Diablo 2 far better. Though my discs are gathering dust in the shelf now... Might pull D2 out again in a few months, but I'd probably only play D1 again if I found a copy of the expansion - which would motivate me to pull out the disc again.

KIDS
2007-10-31, 05:07 AM
Diablo 1 was, for its time, a truly awesome game. Nowadays it's still good and still selling, which is far more than what can be said for about 99% of other games that have come out since today, the time of this post. I last played it a year ago and well, not spectacular, but it's still good and fun. That is a very valuable achievment and if I were able to find someone for multiplayer not on battlenet (too many cheats and etc. in that version) I'd jump on the chance to play too.

Regarding your question, I personally really prefer Windforce, its knockback when used correctly is godlike. But if you don't aim well and knockback actually causes you to miss on shots, I'd recommend the Weird one. Stat bonuses seem easy enough to obtain from all other items...

Dhavaer
2007-10-31, 05:12 AM
I like both 1 and 2. One thing that weirded me out a little in 1, though, was a unique set of rags called the Torn Flesh of Souls. They were really, really good for their level (the were the only unique that dropped on the first floor, I think), but they didn't show up in my strategy guide, for some reason.

Setra
2007-10-31, 05:15 AM
but they didn't show up in my strategy guide, for some reason.
Patches add things.

Strategy guides cannot.

At least that's what I'd think.

Dhavaer
2007-10-31, 05:29 AM
This was long before I had the internet, so it probably wasn't patched.

Logic
2007-10-31, 05:53 AM
It's possible that the version of the disc was released after the (first) printing of the strategy guide. A friend of mine tells me that when he bought the Diablo II battlechest, the guide was 1.07, and the Disc was 1.09.

AslanCross
2007-10-31, 06:38 AM
Diablo I was an awesome game, and it's actually creepy to play when you're alone and it's late at night. The soundtrack in some parts (namely the Catacombs and in Hell) were made reeeeeeeally creepy by the crying children effects.

In any case, keep Windforce. I played a Rogue as well, but she eventually had to go sword-board because I couldn't find a bow that was good enough. Thankfully she got the Stormshield, Demonspike Coat and a Master's Sword of the Heavens, so she was very formidable in melee.

Winterwind
2007-10-31, 07:22 AM
Diablo I was an awesome game, and it's actually creepy to play when you're alone and it's late at night. The soundtrack in some parts (namely the Catacombs and in Hell) were made reeeeeeeally creepy by the crying children effects.It becomes even more creepy when you are playing in a multiplayer game, on a higher difficulty level, yet alone. Because a large group of monsters assaulting you suddenly may well kill you, and, since all your items would drop and it might get really difficult to get them back, you sure as hell don't want to die. In the worst case, you might well lose your entire equipment.
Which is really cool, actually, because it keeps the suspense up and makes you jump at any monster moving in the shadows.

Amiria
2007-10-31, 07:35 AM
It becomes even more creepy when you are playing in a multiplayer game, on a higher difficulty level, yet alone. Because a large group of monsters assaulting you suddenly may well kill you, and, since all your items would drop and it might get really difficult to get them back, you sure as hell don't want to die. In the worst case, you might well lose your entire equipment.
Which is really cool, actually, because it keeps the suspense up and makes you jump at any monster moving in the shadows.

That's what the Telekinesis spell is for. Edge around the area where your corpse lies and and snatch the stuff from your cold dead hands right from under the monsters' noses. But be prepared to run like hell to the Town Portal which you already opened somewhere behind you ... :smallamused:

Death Giant
2007-10-31, 07:37 AM
You're gonna need a redicuosly high-attack for the devil, so go with (B). :)

Winterwind
2007-10-31, 07:46 AM
That's what the Telekinesis spell is for. Edge around the area where your corpse lies and and snatch the stuff from your cold dead hands right from under the monsters' noses. But be prepared to run like hell to the Town Portal which you already opened somewhere behind you ... :smallamused:Indeed, and usually, it works.

Too bad if the monsters who killed you decided to spread out a bit in the mean while, and are capable of charging you (like Vipers are). Worse, if in your futile attempt to flee from the overwhelming force that ultimately killed you you accidentally lured even more monsters to the site you were slain, some of which are now right on your path from the Portal/level entrance to your mortal coil. And when the monsters begin to camp at the level entrance itself you are entirely booped. :smallbiggrin:

Tengu
2007-10-31, 09:15 AM
I would not call being able to lose all your equipment upon death "cool" or "keeping you in suspense". I would call it "effing annoying". Developers of those newer multiplayer games that give you huge penalties upon death (equipment, or lots of experience) should be hung to their cojones. Same with games with unlimited pvp.

And to actually say something apart from a thinly veiled attack on EVE and some NWN servers... Diablo 1 is a classic game that basically created the HNS genre. It was great when it came out, but it aged badly and now the only reason I could see anyone play it is retro value.

Winterwind
2007-10-31, 09:33 AM
I would not call being able to lose all your equipment upon death "cool" or "keeping you in suspense". I would call it "effing annoying". Developers of those newer multiplayer games that give you huge penalties upon death (equipment, or lots of experience) should be hung to their cojones. Same with games with unlimited pvp.That's what I thought myself when I learned of that concept. But in practice, it works out differently - it makes you proceed with much more caution, and, where usually you might just fall into a hack and slash routine, you remain wary and, possibly, even scared of every monster in sight (especially since stronger monsters may well put you into stun-lock, preventing you from teleporting away).
So yeah, it does keep you in suspense, and it does an excellent job at that. Also because in this case, it is not just some annoyance if you die, it may result in a massive loss, which is why you stay really, really cautious not to die.

Basically, in a normal game, you may happily march forward, as soon as you see monsters you start blasting away, you usually win and proceed to the next group of monsters, and if you happen to die, well, bugger, but you will have this experience back in no time anyway, so nevermind.

In Diablo 1 it's more like this (that's a bit over-dramatised, but in principle it's true): Okay, one step forward... no, nothing yet... another step - hell, did something move in the shadows there?! *fireball, fireball, fireball* Phew, no, just the imagination. Okay, let's - oh God, something approaches! *fireball* Oh no, it's one of those Pit Lords, immune to fire! *switch to lightning* Damnit, he's right next to me now! - there's another one! Teleport away! Teleport AWAY!

Basically, instead of hack&slash, it has something of a horror mood.

I imagine that's why some people like the Hardcore mode. Having tried Diablo 1, I think I might enjoy Hardcore in Diablo 2 much more than normal mode now, except I do not trust my connection sufficiently for that - and it would be really annoying to lose a character to lag.

gooddragon1
2007-10-31, 10:07 AM
1> I hardly play it anymore, but I still have the CD.

2> Windforce is good, but the eaglehorn is better, it has no duration issues because its indestructible, so just fire down that hallway all u like.

EDIT: I cheated only with item duping.

Amiria
2007-10-31, 12:19 PM
So, some people still want to play Diablo I multiplayer ... Winterwind, KIDS, yours truly, ... maybe Setra.

Maybe I should change the thread into the GitP Diablo I group ?

Raven T.
2007-10-31, 12:26 PM
I still play it on occasion; the problem is that this screen goes...funny and offcenter if I try to play a game that only has a 640x480 mode. Not sure why; wish I could fix this and play some more.

The problem I always had with multiplayer is there's no way to turn Friendly Fire off without hacking.:smallfrown:

UncleWolf
2007-10-31, 03:19 PM
Diablo one is my third favorite computer game now days.
#1 for me is Dawn of War
#2 is Starcraft
and #4 is Diablo II
My favorite part of diablo one is the fact that it makes you work for your weapons and levels.
I once had a level 28 rouge and I find those to be the best all around characters to be especially when you find Mana Shield (I think it really sucks in Diablo II)

Amiria
2007-10-31, 05:21 PM
Yes, my Rogue also really relies on Mana Shield, especially since she has more Mana than Life ... because of the Royal Circlet.

All my characters are now Level 30, I just leveled the Warrior. And - yay - he found the unique Eaglehorn bow. Now I just have to transfer it to the Rogue in a multiplayer game.

Tengu
2007-11-01, 07:46 AM
it would be really annoying to lose a character to lag.

Lag, or (in other games) accidentally and unknowingly to you entering a zone with monsters too tough for you, or getting killed while the game is loading a new area, and such.

And games with mechanics that allow ganking attract gankers. Nothing more compensates them for their small pe... cough, egos, and makes them enter an immature, annoying snot-swallowing laugh more than realization that they just destroyed someone's fun.
But this is getting a bit offtopic, and such people will go to the special hell after their death anyway.

Swordguy
2007-11-01, 10:24 AM
But this is getting a bit offtopic, and such people will go to the special hell after their death anyway.

One reserved for child molesters and people who talk in theatres, right?

(obscure?)

TheOtherMC
2007-11-01, 10:55 AM

(obscure?)

On this forum? Psssssshhhhhhhhh Please. :smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2007-11-02, 05:57 AM
I was just starting again with a Rogue and the Butcher wasn't dropping his cleaver for some reason. Does anyone know what's happening?

Sir Enigma
2007-11-02, 06:06 AM
Are you playing in multiplayer? He only drops the cleaver in single player, he gets a random item drop in multi.

Also, have many people here played the Hellfire expansion? I'm off replaying that now (curse you all for getting me interested again :smallbiggrin: ) Has anyone unlocked the easter-egg classes (Bard and Barbarian), and how do they stack up next to the ordinary ones?

Tengu
2007-11-02, 06:18 AM
Actually, all those set unique items that drop in single player are replaced by random items in multi. You can only get those uniques that are random drops.

beholder
2007-11-02, 06:45 AM

(obscure?)

well i for one have no clue what you're talking about

Mordan
2007-11-02, 07:05 AM
I know it's been years since I've played but, but this is the game with the one legged kid with the infinitaly deep pockets, and you picked up books to learn magic, right?

There was classes in that?

I may have to try and find a copy and play it again. It's been to long.

If there was an expansion for it, then I'm sure I played it. If there was a secret, I'm sure I unlocked it. I used to play that game a lot. And no, there are NO cows in 1 that you can kill. I can remember that and not remember if there are classes or not. I wouldn't mind swiss cheese for a memory if only it had more cheese and less holes.

Winterwind
2007-11-02, 07:28 AM
I was just starting again with a Rogue and the Butcher wasn't dropping his cleaver for some reason. Does anyone know what's happening?Like others said, he doesn't drop the Cleaver in multiplayer, although that is not that much of a loss (except for atmosphere, maybe), the thing is not that good anyway.

Other differences between multiplayer and singleplayer include that all other quests are gone, unfortunately, except for the Lazarus and the King Leoric quest, who both spawn in the level itself now, instead of getting a level of their own (Leoric spawns, as far as I know, always at the stairs leading down from level 3 to level 4). These two quests, plus the Butcher, are always there.

I guess they thought it would be too easy for people to improve their characters if such quests as the Warlord of Blood (item supply extraordinaire) or the Black Mushroom (+3 to all attributes every time) were included.

I know it's been years since I've played but, but this is the game with the one legged kid with the infinitaly deep pockets, and you picked up books to learn magic, right?Right.

There was classes in that?Three - Warrior, Rogue and Sorceror (yes, that's the in-game spelling).
The differences between them aren't as large as in many other games, though - they all can use, in theory at least, the same items and spells. The differences between them are different attack speeds with melee weapons and bows, different spell casting times, different hit recovery times and (which eventually leads to not every class being able to use the same items and spells after all) different attribute maximums (a Sorceror struggles when he wants to push his Strength high enough to use better armours, a Warrior cannot have a Magic attribute sufficiently high to learn the better spells).

Amiria
2007-11-02, 01:03 PM
(Leoric spawns, as far as I know, always at the stairs leading down from level 3 to level 4)

Nay, he is just somewhere on level 3, usually not too close to the entrance. Last time I encountered him he was in a relatively secluded, small room (along with his horde).

So it is sometimes easy to avoid him in multiplayer. Which is a good idea since he is a real BAMF when you fight solo against him, especially when playing a Rogue. I once literally fired hundreds of arrows for half an hour on him and he didn't die. When I realized that health potions and bow repairs get way to costly I just left him be and went down to the fourth level.

Swordguy
2007-11-02, 01:06 PM
Man, this thread brings back memories. Was I the only person to make sure to get the Wall of Fire spell and just lay down several successive Walls of Fire right next to each other, thus totally filling a room and killing everything not immune to fire inside?

Oh, the line about people who talk in theatres in from Firefly.

UncleWolf
2007-11-02, 01:06 PM

(obscure?)

It's from Firefly. Sheperd said it. Very good series.

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 01:10 PM
Man, this thread brings back memories. Was I the only person to make sure to get the Wall of Fire spell and just lay down several successive Walls of Fire right next to each other, thus totally filling a room and killing everything not immune to fire inside?You're not the only one, that was my preferred tactic for dealing with the Butcher and that room in the Chamber of Bone that's literally filled with skeletons.

UncleWolf
2007-11-02, 01:14 PM
You're not the only one, that was my preferred tactic for dealing with the Butcher and that room in the Chamber of Bone that's literally filled with skeletons.

I loved the skeleton room. just attack and one died. Whack! Whack! Whack!:smallbiggrin:

Amiria
2007-11-02, 01:17 PM
Man, this thread brings back memories. Was I the only person to make sure to get the Wall of Fire spell and just lay down several successive Walls of Fire right next to each other, thus totally filling a room and killing everything not immune to fire inside?

No, that's a common tactic ... called barbecue. :smallsmile:

It's just not the best thing in multiplayer since the sorcerer gets all the xp. From my experience the sorceror has the easiest time to get xp in multiplayer because of his spells of mass destruction. There is enough gold down in the dungeons to buy all the mana potions he needs.

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 01:35 PM
No, that's a common tactic ... called barbecue. :smallsmile:

It's just not the best thing in multiplayer since the sorcerer gets all the xp. From my experience the sorceror has the easiest time to get xp in multiplayer because of his spells of mass destruction. There is enough gold down in the dungeons to buy all the mana potions he needs.Fire Wall's good for a rogue too. Place one in a door way, then stand behind the it and fire arrows at anything. Meleers either just take it, or get burned by the fire wall while taking swings at you. Don't work too well against the fire immune, naturally....

Ahh, I remember in the Diablo demo, the Butcher was dumb and walked right into a fire wall, then got stuck in hit recovery until either he died or the wall expired. Didn't work in the release, though.

Winterwind
2007-11-02, 02:08 PM
Nay, he is just somewhere on level 3, usually not too close to the entrance. Last time I encountered him he was in a relatively secluded, small room (along with his horde).Oh, okay. Must have been coincidence then. Haven't fought him all that often, since the monsters in the Dungeon don't drop nearly as good equipment as the ones in later levels.

You're not the only one, that was my preferred tactic for dealing with the Butcher and that room in the Chamber of Bone that's literally filled with skeletons.Another fancy way to do the Chamber of Bone is the Flame Wave spell - exactly the same effect as the Flame Wall spell, but kills all skeletons in that room at once, instead of only those in the first row.

Now here's a scary thing: Even before I picked up the game again a year ago or so, I still had Ogden's introduction speach ("Thank goodness you've returned! Much has changed since..."), the poem for the Halls of the Blind and the books for the Chamber of Bone and Arkaine's Valour completely memorised. :smalleek:

Swordguy
2007-11-02, 02:08 PM
Fire Wall's good for a rogue too. Place one in a door way, then stand behind the it and fire arrows at anything. Meleers either just take it, or get burned by the fire wall while taking swings at you. Don't work too well against the fire immune, naturally....

That is precisely my favoritest tactic (me="Rogue-whore"). Pure awesome, right up until about lvl 13ish (start of Hell), and even then not bad.

EDIT:

Another fancy way to do the Chamber of Bone is the Flame Wave spell - exactly the same effect as the Flame Wall spell, but kills all skeletons in that room at once, instead of only those in the first row.

The trick is multiple castings of fire wall, one right behind the other, all aligned parallel. No matter where they go, they're taking constant heavy damage, unlike Flame Wave, which is a one-time deal and IIRC more mana-heavy than even repeated Fire Wall castings.

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 02:17 PM
Another fancy way to do the Chamber of Bone is the Flame Wave spell - exactly the same effect as the Flame Wall spell, but kills all skeletons in that room at once, instead of only those in the first row.I just placed down row after row of Fire Wall. Flame Wave never impressed me much.

Now here's a scary thing: Even before I picked up the game again a year ago or so, I still had Ogden's introduction speach ("Thank goodness you've returned! Much has changed since..."), the poem for the Halls of the Blind and the books for the Chamber of Bone and Arkaine's Valour completely memorised. :smalleek:Well, I haven't played to the Halls of the Blind in about four years and I still remember the entire poem. And Ogden's speech.

And the majority of Wirt's little speech about selling things ("In case you didn't know, I don't buy anything from Tristram. I'm an importer of quality goods. If you want to peddle junk, talk to Griswold, Pepin, or that witch Adria. I'm sure they'll snatch up whatever you can bring 'em.")

Winterwind
2007-11-02, 02:39 PM
Flame Wave is undoubtedly worse than Fire Wall in almost every situation. However, if the monsters in question are sufficiently weak, it may be better, because if aimed correctly it covers the entire room. While it's less damaging, firing three of them is still a faster way to cleanse a room than creating a couple of Fire Walls, and allows one to enter the room immediately after that, instead of waiting for the Fire Walls to burn out. This, of course, requires that the monsters are sufficiently weak for a few Flame Waves to actually kill them, which is why one wouldn't use this technique later on in the game.

In other words, yes, the damage a Flame Wave inflicts is pathetic. But no other spell, not even Chain Lightning, covers a room so completely.

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 02:48 PM
Flame Wave is undoubtedly worse than Fire Wall in almost every situation. However, if the monsters in question are sufficiently weak, it may be better, because if aimed correctly it covers the entire room. While it's less damaging, firing three of them is still a faster way to cleanse a room than creating a couple of Fire Walls, and allows one to enter the room immediately after that, instead of waiting for the Fire Walls to burn out. This, of course, requires that the monsters are sufficiently weak for a few Flame Waves to actually kill them, which is why one wouldn't use this technique later on in the game.If they're weak enough for this to work, is it really worth the trouble to get Flame Wave if you already have Fire Wall?

Winterwind
2007-11-02, 02:54 PM
If they're weak enough for this to work, is it really worth the trouble to get Flame Wave if you already have Fire Wall?If you don't already have Flame Wave, assuredly not. If you happen to have it, why not use it in one of the rare situations where it actually is a good choice?

Of course, you could just as well sell the books, considering you will be hardly using the spell anywhere else, but that's not much money (2750, to be precise), and I kinda like having high numbers everywhere in the spellbook. :smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2007-11-03, 06:41 PM
I started with my Rogue again in single player, and now I have Arkaine's Valour. Does anyone else adore Arkaine's Valor?

Amiria
2007-11-03, 06:48 PM
Yesssssss, meeeeeee ! The best armor in the midgame ... and for a Rogue or Sorcerer also good enough for the endgame. Fastest Hit Revovery and +10 Vitality, right ?

Imo a Rogue also looks best in some kind of chain mail. Why is plate mail rogue without her ponytail ? :smallannoyed:

Dhavaer
2007-11-03, 08:38 PM
Also 25 armour. I've never actually gotten a Rogue into plate, but I have noticed that my rogue's bastard sword is straight while she stands still or attacks, but curved while she walks. Very weird.

TheOtherMC
2007-11-03, 09:12 PM
well i for one have no clue what you're talking about

considering your avatar im suprised....

Pronounceable
2007-11-03, 10:13 PM
Diablo is a timeless classic. Which is no surprise, considering it is one of the glorious spawn of the almighty Rogue. Actually it's the black sheep of the bunch, because of the lack of permadeath. However, that alone is what dramatically improved its casual playability.

And the fancy graphics. And sounds. We DREAMED of those. We used to have to *read* the monster sounds back in my day...[/yorkshireman]

Diablo has a much better atmosphere than its sequel. And the endless hacknslashiness of save&exit irritates me to no end. Diablo gives the great satisfaction of having purged the dungeon of evil. Killing monsters is pointless in D2. Except quests. And to get stuff. And XP.

Dhavaer
2007-11-04, 04:39 AM
Reading up on the game, I just found out some very unpleasant things.

Black Death zombies reduce your max hp by 1 every time they hit, and Sacred, Ornate and Fascinating shrines reduce your maximum mana. The latter in particular is something that I think should have been spelled out more clearly in the playguide.

Amiria
2007-11-04, 04:49 AM
The thing about Black Death zombies I didn't know so far. :smalleek: Thanks. A real bummer for warriors.

About the shrines, yes those three are evil. That's why you also shouldn't use Goat Shrines and Cauldrons. They give random shrine effects and it could be one of those bad ones.

Setra
2007-11-04, 04:59 AM
Yet some of them can be very good in shrines

Good shrines can include:

ABANDONED SHRINE: "The hands of Men may be guided by Faith"
Gives +2 to Dexterity.

CREEPY SHRINE: "Strength is bolstered by heavenly faith."
Gives +2 to Strength

EERIE SHRINE: "Knowledge and wisdom comes at the cost of self"
Gives +2 to Magic

ELDRITCH SHRINE: "Azure and Crimson become as the sun"
Potions

IMPOSING SHRINE: "A surge of blood interrupts your thoughts"
Gives +2 to Dexterity

MYSTERIOUS SHRINE: "Some are weakened as one grows strong"
One characteristic gets +5, the others -1

QUIET SHRINE: "The essence of life flows from within"
Gives +2 to Vitality

THAUMATURGIC SHRINE: "What once was open, is now closed."
Closes and refills all chests.

WEIRD SHRINE: "The sword of justice is swift and sharp"
+1 to maximum damage of all your weapons (i.e. before 4-8,
now 4-9)

Amiria
2007-11-04, 06:13 PM
Yes, in shrines, where you know what you get ... if you have the info from the official strategy guide or just some internet page. But it isn't worth the risk in those random things.

And you forgot the best shrine effect: Enchanted - all spells go up a level expecpt one (random), which goes down a level.

Winterwind
2007-11-04, 06:28 PM
And you forgot the best shrine effect: Enchanted - all spells go up a level expecpt one (random), which goes down a level.Random in theory. In practise, I don't recall it ever being any other spell than Chain Lightning.
Which hurts a bit, but is of course still worth it.

Setra
2007-11-04, 06:54 PM
Yes, in shrines, where you know what you get ... if you have the info from the official strategy guide or just some internet page. But it isn't worth the risk in those random things.
The chance of good outweighs the bad in general

So I personally consider it worth the risk :smalltongue:

Winterwind
2007-11-04, 07:05 PM
The chance of good outweighs the bad in general

So I personally consider it worth the risk :smalltongue:The severity of the bad outweighs the good by a large margin, on the other hand.

Two points more in Dexterity? You can buy Elixirs for that for 10k gold, which you can earn within 10 minutes. Full mana, and stuff like that? Even easier.

The only positive effect you can't replicate by 10 minutes playing (which you are less likely to get than the negative ones) would be Enchanted, which Emiria mentioned - and even the effects of that you could, essentially, obtain by just playing a bit longer.

10% less mana? For a high level sorcerer this is pretty much the same as if he lost 20-30 magic points, and there is no way to recover from this damage. Ever.

I would readily understand if someone wanted to take the risk because (s)he considered taking the risk fun; but I think from a pure effectiveness perspective, it is not worth it.

nooblade
2007-11-04, 10:02 PM
Diablo is a timeless classic. Which is no surprise, considering it is one of the glorious spawn of the almighty Rogue. Actually it's the black sheep of the bunch, because of the lack of permadeath. However, that alone is what dramatically improved its casual playability.

Diablo was the game that got me into Roguelikes. I guess I'm a little backwards from the old folks who played Rogue before Diablo.

The development scene for Roguelikes is still going pretty strong. I'm involved in it too, but I won't produce much of anything while I'm distracted by school. Not about to let that stop me from dreaming, though. And having graphics like Diablo would be sheer awesomeness. I'm seriously thinking about taking art classes to recreate that sort of horror feel. Of course the storyline could've used some work, the "War in Hell" plot was a little on the repetitive side if you ask me.

Anyone who's curious about (modern) Roguelikes should look at: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

waffletaco
2007-11-05, 01:25 AM
I bought the Diablo battlechest a couple of months ago for diablo 2 and exp. mac-side, but now that I have parallels 3.0, I'm gonna try out diablo. It sounds very interesting. I prefer getting spooked out of my seat than tearing everything down that tries comes near me--but die every time something did come near me. Some of that stuff sounds iffy though.. that -1 max hp thing sounds terrible. How many of those would you fight in the game's lifetime? I think I'll go rogue...

Glyphic
2007-11-05, 01:45 AM
Anyone ever go back and Try playing the "ironman" variant of Diablo? I had my little obsession time with trying it. Can really mess up your difficulty and you really learn just how much you can siphon one or two potions of healing.

http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/vironman.html#rules

Admittedly, There was super iron man as well where you drop all of your equipment and just see how far into hell you can go. (I managed to get into the caves solo! Whee!)

Winterwind
2007-11-05, 02:50 AM
Some of that stuff sounds iffy though.. that -1 max hp thing sounds terrible. How many of those would you fight in the game's lifetime? I think I'll go rogue...It's only a single monster type (which may appear in the late dungeon and early catacombs levels). It's quite possible that it does not appear in the game at all (since the monster types are randomized at the beginning of every new game); if it does, they are very slow and rather well visible, so you can easily get out of their way and shoot them with whatever you want to. As long as you make sure they don't reach you, you are perfectly save from the Black Death. I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Drop your equipment and see how far you can get? Is that with killing all the monsters on the way there, or just running down and trying not to die?
The first one would be very impressive indeed - if that's what you did, I imagine it must have taken a long time to get this far?

Setra
2007-11-05, 03:08 AM
Admittedly, There was super iron man as well where you drop all of your equipment and just see how far into hell you can go. (I managed to get into the caves solo! Whee!)
Sounds easy for a Sorceror... Unless mana potions are disallowed.

Glyphic
2007-11-05, 03:22 AM
It's a one shot, starting at level one. You might get by with a sorc, yeah, but it can be difficult for everyone. Anything you pick up is fair game, but you don't get to use the character again in a new game.

waffletaco
2007-11-05, 05:11 PM
Well I'm level 5 already... This is really hard! You can't just fly by if you see that the stairs to the next level of the dungeon is right there. I did that from 2-4 after clearing level 1 and 2 of the church. After that I was level 5, and naturally thought that I was the ****, and then out of nowhere I got ganged and with no FHR, I died quickly.

LurkerInPlayground
2007-11-05, 05:22 PM
Definitely Windforce for the long haul.

Hit% means just about nothing for a Rogue because Rogues have the highest dexterity cap in the game (which you'll want to max eventually). Also, your hit chance is roughly twice that listed on your sheet for ranged weapons, but isn't shown.

Melee rogues are potentially possible because they can get the highest shield block in the game. However, it's essential that you grab a fast block shield to make up for the low melee attack rate.

Warriors on the other hand, should max their Dex ASAP to get that hit% up and get all the hit% they can. Vitality comes second. You only need as much strength as you'll need for you equipment, as they majority of your damage comes from just being able to hit things at all. Shields with fast block are also definite pluses. You can block magic with your shield if your resistances are all set to 0, as well. This can be quite nice since your warrior is going to have a tough time with ranged attacks.

Basically +% is useless for a Rogue.

Also, avoid Plague (Blight?) Zombies like the. . .plague. Each hit that lands permanently drains 1 hit point. Fight them from a range or just avoid the level altogether. They're a very bright green color. You can't miss 'em.

waffletaco
2007-11-05, 05:41 PM
Yes I agree. That knockback with the 200% dmg is perfect. You should be able to hit them anyways.

Narmoth
2007-11-06, 05:28 AM
[QUOTE=Swordguy;3453259]Man, this thread brings back memories. Was I the only person to make sure to get the Wall of Fire spell and just lay down several successive Walls of Fire right next to each other, thus totally filling a room and killing everything not immune to fire inside? [QUOTE]

Actually, allthrough the wall of fire walls is my most used tactic (I play warrior), I just stood in the doorway at the skeleton room and killed them one by one, loosing only 27 hp :smallcool:

Amiria
2007-11-06, 09:27 AM
So, are here other people in the playground interested in multiplayer gaming ?

I played yesterday with Winterwind and it was fun. He died around 5 or 6 times during the game. But I only killed him 2 times, 3 maximium. :smallredface: It is not wise to cross the line of fire of a trigger-happy 30th level rogue equipped with the Windforce. :smalltongue:

Powerlevel-wise we have characters of around level 22 - 35. All my characters are level 30. Since I'm in Europe I have usually time for play at what translates to afternoon to early evening EST.

Winterwind
2007-11-06, 09:35 AM
So, are here other people in the playground interested in multiplayer gaming ?

I played yesterday with Winterwind and it was fun. He died around 5 or 6 times during the game. But I only killed him 2 times, 3 maximium. :smallredface: It is not wise to cross the line of fire of a trigger-happy 30th level rogue equipped with the Windforce. :smalltongue:Hey, blocking the only way out of a room with 20 multi-shot capable Acid Beasts counts as kill, too! :smalltongue:
'Sides, you just watch till I get that character to a high enough level so that the monsters we fight are, as you D&D players say, of an appropriate encounter level, and we shall see who is dying then!
(Frankly, it will still be me, but that's just due to being a Warrior. And impatient. Which does not mix well. :smallwink: )
Doesn't matter though, it was fun. :smallbiggrin:

Powerlevel-wise we have characters of around level 22 - 35. All my characters are level 30. Since I'm in Europe I have usually time for play at what translates to afternoon to early evening EST.Same.
Unless it collides with the two other GitP multiplayer groups I'm in (i.e. is on a Friday or a Saturday).
And not today, cause today I already have promised a few friends we'd be roleplaying.
But otherwise, every European evening (6 hours ahead of EST) is fine.

Griemont
2007-11-06, 07:36 PM
I still play, and would love to play some games online. The only problem I found was that if you get a Sorceror with hooge amounts of mana, mana shield, fireball, and chain lighting and golems in case you run up against immumes, the game becomes ridiculously easy. I spent so much time prepping my sorceror for the fight against Diablo, only to kill him in 3-4 fireballs.

EDIT: And yeah, I got Hellfire, although I have some incredibly elaborate patching system that makes it complete and bug-free that I don't remember how to duplicate on this computer. The bard is incredibly handy (infinite identify! take that, cain, you bastard!) except that her low health makes it hard to take on, say the butcher, without magic (just about impossible, actually). The barb is fun at first because of his incredible tankability, but you'll gradually see that he's just a more specialized warrior, without the flexibility that allows them to survive past Normal.

more later.

Glyphic
2007-11-07, 05:26 PM
I'd be in for Iron man, on battlenet. Otherwise you're going to have to wait for me to level up!

Jasdoif
2007-11-07, 05:30 PM
EDIT: And yeah, I got Hellfire, although I have some incredibly elaborate patching system that makes it complete and bug-free that I don't remember how to duplicate on this computer. The bard is incredibly handy (infinite identify! take that, cain, you bastard!) except that her low health makes it hard to take on, say the butcher, without magic (just about impossible, actually). The barb is fun at first because of his incredible tankability, but you'll gradually see that he's just a more specialized warrior, without the flexibility that allows them to survive past Normal.The fun thing I discovered about bards is that if you're wielding two weapons with +% damage, their effects stack. Multiplicatively. One game, I had a level 4 bard with an upper damage in the hundreds.

Griemont
2007-11-07, 05:30 PM
Iron man? :smallconfused: Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that my sorceror's name is Tetsujin...

Glyphic
2007-11-07, 05:39 PM
Iron man is a different style of play intended to make the game harder. I posted a link to the rules above..

http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/vironman.html#rules

You start play with brand new characters. You're allowed ONLY to interact in town at the start of the game. You can store things up there for easy use, but you cannot buy or heal or identify. (edit: or repair, or see wirt, or travel to different portions of the dungeon)

You can pool your starting gold to buy stuff. You Cannot restart in town when you die. Someone must use a scroll of Res to keep you playing. ALL monsters must be killed, all barrels, coffins, and chests opened.

And then (people do this in tourney's) there's a scoring system based off the lowest level you cleared.

'Super' ironman has similar rules, but you're never allowed to go back to town (even for storing stuff) or buy. Additionally, you must drop -all- of your starting gear.

UncleWolf
2007-11-08, 01:13 PM
Iron man? :smallconfused: Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that my sorceror's name is Tetsujin...

I think it is supposed to be Temujin. :smallconfused:

Griemont
2007-11-08, 10:24 PM
Maybe :smallconfused: Well, Tetsujin also happens to be the name of a character from Tekken, and it sounds cooler :smallbiggrin:

So, when are we meeting?

Eita
2007-11-08, 10:47 PM
D1? Hmm... I have it, don't really play it. I prefer D2.

Glyphic
2007-11-09, 12:26 AM
I'm US west, and have varying free days as I do Temporary work. I might be able to swing anything. Also, I've got a level 28 rouge now.. But I died trying to advance in the catacombs on nightmare and lost my sweet bow, my ring, and my armor :(. It'll take me a few Lazarus runs to get replacements.

Setra
2007-11-09, 12:49 AM
Reminds me of 7th Saga

You start play with brand new characters. You're allowed ONLY to interact in town at the start of the game. You can store things up there for easy use, but you cannot buy or heal or identify. (edit: or repair, or see wirt, or travel to different portions of the dungeon)

You can pool your starting gold to buy stuff. You Cannot restart in town when you die. Someone must use a scroll of Res to keep you playing. ALL monsters must be killed, all barrels, coffins, and chests opened.I think I've actually done this before a while back, with a Rogue actually.

I think I made it to level 13 or so, before deciding I'd rather just play normally.

beholder
2007-11-09, 02:31 AM
considering your avatar im suprised....

Forgive my banal attempt at sarcastic humour, I try to keep it under wraps...
I for one only ever played D1 at a friends house. I loved it, and went out and bought D2, labouring under the misapprehension that they would improve sequels. I was new to the world of videogames....:smallfrown:

Setra
2007-11-09, 02:33 AM
Forgive my banal attempt at sarcastic humour, I try to keep it under wraps...
I for one only ever played D1 at a friends house. I loved it, and went out and bought D2, labouring under the misapprehension that they would improve sequels. I was new to the world of videogames....:smallfrown:
D2 is kinda love/hate.

I personally prefer it to the original, and many people prefer the original.

Amiria
2007-11-09, 11:59 AM
I'm US west, and have varying free days as I do Temporary work. I might be able to swing anything. Also, I've got a level 28 rouge now.. But I died trying to advance in the catacombs on nightmare and lost my sweet bow, my ring, and my armor :(. It'll take me a few Lazarus runs to get replacements.

I have enough spare armors (Full Plate Mails, so I hope you are strong enough) and some nice spare rings and amulets among my three characters. My rogue also has a spare bow, a shoddy unique thing called "Eaglehorn". :smallwink:

Glyphic
2007-11-09, 11:04 PM
While the generosity is very much appreciated, I've found my own bow/armor that will do quite nicely for now.. but what rogue can say no to Eaglehorn?

I'm really trying to find some nice plate of harmony and a fast-blocking shield, though. Kinda wanna try out a melee oriented rogue. High dex = awesome blockage!

But for now, I'm happy having all my resistances greater than 65%!

Also: when do people want to get together? I can almost swing any time (non-weekend, non-tuesday night. Pacific time, USA)

Further edit; Awesome Blockage, indeed doesn't sound very awesome:smalleek:

Amiria
2007-11-10, 03:49 AM
While the generosity is very much appreciated, I've found my own bow/armor that will do quite nicely for now.. but what rogue can say no to Eaglehorn?

A Rogue who also has the Windforce ? :smallwink: What do you get for a Rogue who already has everything ? :smallbiggrin: Although I wouldn't say no to a Jade/Obsidian Amulet/Ring of the Heavens/Zodiac ... Christmas time is coming and my birthday is exactly one month away. :smalltongue:

I'm really trying to find some nice plate of harmony and a fast-blocking shield, though. Kinda wanna try out a melee oriented rogue. High dex = awesome blockage!

But for now, I'm happy having all my resistances greater than 65%!

I rather stay with ranged combat. When we play with Winterwind we'll have a competent warrior ... although he tends to rush hordes of monsters into unknown territory and then dies horribly :smallamused: ... sometimes from an arrow in the back. :smallredface:

Hmm, I only have 40% Fire and Lightning and 73% Magic. I could have all maxed when I wear both of my Obsidian Rings but then I wouldn't wear my nice Ring of the Zodiac +20.

Also: when do people want to get together? I can almost swing any time (non-weekend, non-tuesday night. Pacific time, USA)

Pacific time is really far away, 8-9 hours behind me, so it would be only early to mid afternoons pacific time for me on some days. Maybe tuesday, wednesday or friday.

Winterwind
2007-11-10, 09:33 AM
I rather stay with ranged combat. When we play with Winterwind we'll have a competent warrior ... although he tends to rush hordes of monsters into unknown territory and then dies horribly :smallamused: ... sometimes from an arrow in the back. :smallredface: LEEEEEEROOOOOYYYY... okay, that joke is old by now, too. :smallbiggrin:
Hey, a valiant warrior does not shun battle! :smalltongue:

Pacific time is really far away, 8-9 hours behind me, so it would be only early to mid afternoons pacific time for me on some days. Maybe tuesday, wednesday or friday.Friday doesn't work for me (collides with the GitP WarCraft group), neither does Saturday (collides with the GitP StarCraft group - you see a pattern? :smallbiggrin: ), any other day would work.

Gee, I really seem like some kind of Blizzard fanboy, don't I? :smalleek:

Amiria
2007-11-11, 10:23 AM
New question ... and case history:

Yesterday while playing MP alone with my Sorcerer, while going from one level to another the game froze becaue of an error with the CD or CD-drive. I lost lots of stuff that was lying up in town (two awesome full plate mails, some nice rings and amulets and magic-enhancing stuff). At first I was :smalleek:, then :smallfurious: and also :smallfrown:.

I don't want this to happen again. I know make backups of my chracters after each session. But I also found this No-CD Patch (http://www.gameburnworld.com/gp/gamefixes/diablohellfire.shtml) for Diablo v1.09 but I'm not sure if it is safe. Does someone know if it causes any problems, like with Battlenet ? Or other safe No-CD patches ?

Glyphic
2007-11-11, 03:18 PM
Only trouble I foresee with that patch is there's hellfire stuff attached to it, but that shouldn't be so much of a problem. There's not any sure fire way to tell if a trainer or patch you get off the internet is safe. Scan the stuff with your antivirus after you get it.

As a note, I've never had a problem in the past. Doesn't hurt to be careful.

And for anyone who's interested, I'll be playing today on battle.net. Whisper Nydia or Glyphic_gtip .

Amiria
2007-11-11, 04:40 PM
I can't find games or channels with those names. At this time.

Glyphic
2007-11-11, 04:53 PM
Heh. That's because those are character names.

Nydia

Glyphic_gtip

I'm on right now. Meet up in a game, or a channel?

Amiria
2007-11-11, 04:57 PM
Sure, tell me which channel and which game and which password (pm if you are paranoid)

Glyphic
2007-11-11, 05:00 PM
Uhh. I'm not paranoid. Nope. nope.

My Sorc is level 22 right now (still a little lacking on good spells, but I've got the basics.. but nothing cushy like stone curse or mana shield.)

My Bow rogue is 32. I'd like to get my 2nd dot, if possible.

I suppose we have to get on the right Gateway. Which would you like to play on?

Amiria
2007-11-11, 05:04 PM
Have we ? Maybe US east then, so we'll share the lag, although mine will be a bit bigger perhaps.

Although I'd also love to get a second dot, I don't think that I have enough time today for a nigthtmare run to Diablo. I can't help with books either. Just make more Lazarus runs with your sorcerer. :smallsmile:

I have Rogue 31 (Justine), Sorcerer 31 (Valkhorrod), Warrior 30 (Marwulf).

Glyphic
2007-11-11, 05:08 PM
Okay. I've been trying to get on Europe... but it doesn't seem to like me.

I'm currently sitting in DIABLO USA 2 on Us east, with my rogue.

Glyphic
2007-11-11, 06:30 PM
Eek. Sorry about disappearing, Amiria!

I tired to type >.> And apparently Diablo doesn't like shifty eyes. I got booted. It was good fun to play. Maybe we'll try Hell/hell next time!

Amiria
2007-11-11, 06:32 PM
Yeah, t'was fun. No problem. But I really have to raise my resistance before going to hell/hell. Only "Magic" is as good as maxed. Advocates on hell/hell ... hurt ... like hell ! :smalleek:

Sorry for killing you. :smallredface: But it is NEVER my fault that people always step into my line of fire. :smallamused:

Maybe I should play my warrior next time.

Glyphic
2007-11-11, 06:42 PM
Don't worry about Snuffing me. It happened early enough to where we adjusted (and was a real wake up call!). Could have been much worse if we died somewhere else. It was also my fault. Just watch your back from now on..

If you do play your warrior, I'll be nice and Stone curse things for you. I absolutely hate playing a warrior in hell. Every thing runs away and pelts you with magic.

Tor the Fallen
2007-11-12, 03:53 AM
Diablo 1 plays exactly how a D&D game should play.

Winterwind
2007-11-12, 06:03 AM
Uhh... how so? Where's the roleplaying part? :smallconfused:

Tor the Fallen
2007-11-12, 07:46 AM
Uhh... how so? Where's the roleplaying part? :smallconfused:

I meant the gothic horror, demonic pacts, cursed loot, traps, magic shrines, drinking from questionable cauldrons, demons, undead, lost relics, frightening tomes, plumbing the dungeon's depths into Hell itself.

Winterwind
2007-11-12, 08:33 AM
Ah, yes, I see. In that case, I agree.
Thus speaks the Lord of Terror, and thus it is written.

Shea Landford
2007-11-12, 07:48 PM
I used to Play D1, but now I only play Diablo 2. I would still play D1 if my windows hadn't blown up, and if blizzard had a patch to play it on Mac OSX.:smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

Winterwind
2007-11-13, 06:06 AM
I know next to nothing about Macs, but don't they have Windows emulation programs for these? Diablo 1 should be old enough for a modern computer to operate it fluently even via emulation...

Prince Gimli
2007-11-19, 12:31 PM
Do you guys still play online, and if you do, what would your Bnet names be and on which realm do you play. US East? My account name is Malderon.

NEO|Phyte
2007-11-19, 01:13 PM
Thanks to this thread, I dug up my old CDs and installed Diablo, along with Hellfire. Man I had forgotten just how irritating ranged critters were to a melee type. Still, I got my monk through Na-Krul and Diablo without having to start a new game to level up some, so I'm happy.

Amiria
2007-11-19, 01:37 PM
Do you guys still play online, and if you do, what would your Bnet names be and on which realm do you play. US East? My account name is Malderon.

I still play online. If you have time now we could meet right now. I'm in Europe but US East is ok if you are somewhere across the pond. US East, Diablo USA-1.

I could use some help to move some stuff between my characters. They are named Marwulf, Justine, and Valkhorrod. Maybe with a _gitp suffix.

Prince Gimli
2007-11-19, 02:51 PM
I still play online. If you have time now we could meet right now. I'm in Europe but US East is ok if you are somewhere across the pond. US East, Diablo USA-1.

I could use some help to move some stuff between my characters. They are named Marwulf, Justine, and Valkhorrod. Maybe with a _gitp suffix.

Actually I live in Europe myself, but I mentioned US East because that is where the GitP Starcraft and Warcraft groups hold their games. And is your account called Amiria? Apparantly there is someone with an account with that name anyway.

Amiria
2007-11-19, 02:56 PM
Ah, ok. Now I am on Europe. diablo deu-1.

Edit: Account ? Not Amiria, my individual character names, as mentioned above.

Prince Gimli
2007-11-19, 03:02 PM
In Diablo II, which I'm used to, one adds an account name to one's friends list, not character name. So that's why I asked :).

Amiria
2007-11-19, 03:20 PM
I can't join. Get an error message:

"You were unable to join. The game you have selected is not responding. The latency to the game creator is too high."

[hr]
Ok, thanks for letting me transfer my stuff. :smallsmile:

And for the giggles that despite my help you still managed to get killed by the Butcher. :smallbiggrin:

Prince Gimli
2007-11-19, 04:23 PM
Fortunately that appears to have been fixed now. And thanks again for the help.:smallsmile:

And about the butcher part, yes that was a bit emberassing :smallamused: He is one tough nut to crack however, 3 mana pools of blasting further and still he was standing.

Guess I still need to get used to the friendly fire bit.

Winterwind
2007-11-19, 04:38 PM
Oh yes, that friendly fire is Diablo's strongest ally. Tell me about it. :smallbiggrin:

Still occupied, but I hope I'll be able to join you again in a few days.

Amiria
2007-11-19, 04:59 PM
Yes, that would be fun. Oh, and since Penthar was so nice to help me to transfer the new +171 AC plate, the ring of the heavens +15 and some elixiers to my warrior I feel the need to to flaunt with his greatness. (http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Kotzgeist/Other/screen03.jpg) :smallbiggrin:

And he finally learned Stone Curse and Teleport. That book in the inventory is also Teleport, but he needs some more magic boosters to read it.

Winterwind
2007-11-19, 05:03 PM
That is some warrior, alright! :smallbiggrin:

Amiria
2008-02-07, 04:15 PM
This thread gets reactivated because it seems that we are finally starting a Diablo I Battle.net group. Similar to the other Blizzard game threads here (Starcraft, Warcraft III, Diablo II, ...)

Winterwind might post some organisational things since he has more experience with getting people together and all this Battle.net stuff.

The organisational stuff will be added to the first post later for easy reference.

Winterwind
2008-02-07, 04:22 PM
Heh, you give me too much credit. :smallredface:
Pretty much all we can do, I believe, is to ask who would be interested in this, and whether there are any suggestions with regard to playing time. I imagine we might end up with deciding for some date here in this thread, and henceforth agree upon the next meeting when we depart again (of course posting the time of the next meeting here as well).

I'll make sure to ask the people in the other groups whether some of them would like to join in.

Narmoth
2008-02-10, 08:26 AM
Do I have to make a new character to play online, or can I use the one I've went through the game a couple of times with?

Amiria
2008-02-10, 04:30 PM
Well, is it a multiplayer character ? If so, you can use it. Winterwind and me currently play with characters around level 30. But we could also start with new characters.

Narmoth
2008-02-10, 04:41 PM
I'll just make one in multiplayer then.
The one I use now is single-player.
I wen down to the butcher with him. threw away all armour, weapons and all gear, and killed him with one blow.
What time zone and time of day do you play in?

Amiria
2008-02-10, 05:03 PM
Yeah, you need MP for Battle.net. Your SP character is of no use. You can't transfer anything between SP and MP.

Winterwind and me are both in Germany (GMT+1), it is usually late in the evening for us when we play with people across the pond. Late afternoon / early evening for people in the Americas.

Narmoth
2008-02-10, 05:25 PM
well, I'm at GMT +1 as well (Norway) so that fits well.
I'll just run a couple of rounds with the character first to make him a bit tougher so he sin't killed right away.

Do I need the Hellfire expansion?

Amiria
2008-02-10, 05:41 PM
No, Hellfire isn't supported by Battle.net. I don't have it anymore anyway, lost my copy years ago.

Narmoth
2008-02-12, 08:45 AM
So...
Anyone got a step by step guide (for dummies) of how to connect to the same game as the rest of the gitp - people?

Amiria
2008-02-12, 02:20 PM
Hmm, start diablo - multiplayer - battle.net - Europe or U.S. East - make an account ...

... and then we should already see each other. We don't need a private channel.

We can then make a game/password (whispering it to the other persons) and start.

I currently have time, how about Europe ?

My characters are named Justine, Marwulf an Valkhorrod, with or without a "_gitp" suffix.

Edit: Oh, and make sure that you are running V1.09 of Diablo.

Edit-2: Oh, I forgot: channel is diablo deu-1 :smallredface:

Pagz
2008-02-12, 05:19 PM
A battle net Diablo group? Sounds like fun! Count me in! :smallbiggrin:.

The next time everyone goes on, give me a tingle (that is, if there is still a group).

JosephB
2008-02-15, 06:50 PM
Hi all, im new at the forum :smallwink:
Well, I just start playing diablo 1 in battle.net with a friend (We play a lot the PS1 version, so we decide to buy a copy of the PC version), so i got a question...

Is there a any way to make a PARTY or a GROUP? I start with a sorcerer and my friend start with a war, in the beggining was fine but when i got more powerfull and multiple spells, i begin to kill fast and more that him, and to kill him in the process too.. so is there anyway to share the exp?

Winterwind
2008-02-16, 05:07 AM
Hi all, im new at the forum :smallwink:
Well, I just start playing diablo 1 in battle.net with a friend (We play a lot the PS1 version, so we decide to buy a copy of the PC version), so i got a question...

Is there a any way to make a PARTY or a GROUP? I start with a sorcerer and my friend start with a war, in the beggining was fine but when i got more powerfull and multiple spells, i begin to kill fast and more that him, and to kill him in the process too.. so is there anyway to share the exp?Short answer: No, there is not.

Longer answer: It is not necessary to kill something to get experience for it, it is merely necessary to have harmed it somehow. Simply damaging it, or even just casting a Stone Curse, is enough to get the full share of experience for the unholy monstrosity's righteous demise. As for killing the warrior in the process, yes, indeed - that is part of the challenge of both playing a melee and a ranged character - to not run into the sorceror's or rogue's line of fire and to explicitly try to not blast the trusty tanking companion, respectively.

Narmoth
2008-02-18, 09:12 AM
So, finally I got above lvl 20, so I can play at nightmare.
I play at GMT +1 in the evening. Anybody wanting to join, pm me or post here.

Amiria
2008-02-23, 09:31 AM
I have time this evening, probably also tomorrow ... for either version of Diablo. :smallsmile:

sciencemile
2008-02-25, 06:41 AM
Yes! Diablo for me, I try to play on mondays and saturdays. Think I'll go on now <_<

DrizztFan24
2008-02-29, 02:48 PM
I am on right now, its 2:00 central US. the character is named Jarlaxle.