PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Desert Heritage, a Sand Sorcerer Subclass PEACH

redmordred
2020-07-24, 10:39 AM
I've had a lot of time recently to homebrew, in particular Sorcerer subclasses, and next on the list was a Sand/Desert-based Sorcerer based on Crocodile from One Piece. Unlike the others I've made this one isn't so much choice based, meaning I can balance it around one theme instead of four or even twelve ancestries. In particular I'm concerned about the balance of the early level abilities. I think it's almost there, just needs a little more feedback and some polish.

New and Twice UpdatedPDF Link. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bz7WMpH9KZ0v9oTPR7Oa1FSszQM2Ha2p/view?usp=sharing)

EDIT: Made some adjustments based on recommendations.

sandmote
2020-07-24, 11:24 AM
Soul of the desert should probably be made consistent with similar features:

Creatures with resistance or immunity to fire damage automatically succeed on the saving throw, as do creatures naturally adapted to hot climates.

Desert caller should probably straight up let you cast silent image. If it doesn't, you need to specify how it otherwise works, given the concentration spell apparently needs to be ended as a bonus action?

60 foot tremorsense is a lot, and the sandstorm should probably last 1 minute. Having things last a number of rounds equal to some ability modifier has pretty much been dropped for the edition.

The feel of the class if excellent. The origin spells fit well, and the penalty from being soaked in water is a nice touch.

redmordred
2020-07-24, 07:39 PM
Thanks a lot for your insight. I had a lot a fun making this subclass, so I'm glad you enjoyed the theme. I'm making some of the changes now to better reflect the balance and philosophy in 5e.

redmordred
2020-07-30, 10:13 PM
Made some more changes to class in terms of balance and even added eight new spells.

sandmote
2020-07-31, 04:48 PM
Replacing fire damage with slashing probably won't break anything. Replacing fire with necrotic is a bit of a balance issue, because fire is so much more resisted.

Although for a desert themed cantrip, I'd base it off Shocking Grasp but cause the target to be blinded until the end of your turn. Most useful for Eldritch Knights, admittedly, but it would still have more of a niche than a knockoff of Fire Bolt.

Sand Trap should probably be based on Control Water. Otherwise, I would make the trap with a 20 feet radius. Anyone within double the radius starts to be pulled in, and anyone inside that radius takes damage. I think this would be clearer than "inside the center of the trap."

What is the thematic difference between Scorching Sirocco and Sables?

redmordred
2020-07-31, 10:43 PM
You make some good points. Thanks again for the feedback, it's really been invaluable.

I adjusted several of the spells, including nerfing the necrotic damage on Dried Finger and making Sand Trap based on Control Water's whirlpool function. In addition, I added three more minor spells including the one based on Shocking Grasp you suggested.

As for Scorching Sirocco and Sables, they were based on different spells and I've modified them each to make it more noticeable that they're different from one another. One was supposed to take a up smaller area and be persistent, the other was meant to immediately alter the situation while requiring less thought.