PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Evildoer's Guide to Power, Villainy and... Stuff.

AKPAP
2020-07-24, 06:56 PM
So, I've been looking for something in various forums on the interweb but I haven't found it. So, I'm here to do the next best thing. Create it myself! As you may have guessed from the title of this thread we will be discussing ways for evil PCs (Or NPCs, whatever) to acquire more power.

First of all, let me just say that I will be mostly focusing on magic & magical means of acquiring powers since:

A) My own PC is a power-hungry NE Human Wizard.

B) We, unfortunately, know mundane ways that evil gains power from our real lives.

In the future, if this thread goes well, we can discuss the non-magical ways that a less than moral individual can acquire UNLIMITED POW- [Communication intercepted by the Good Paladin Group™]

Also, this post will be focused on 3.5E and will include some things from Pathfinder. Specifically, those that can easily be considered legal to transfer.

***DISCLAIMER***

This post does under no circumstances encourage anyone to play an evil PC , neither does it suggest that these "tips and tricks" be used in actual games without your DM's permission. In fact, personally, I would advise you to talk to the rest of your group before even playing an Evil PC since some people can't handle it or simply want a very heroic oriented campaign.

That being said, I think it's time to get started. So...LET THE GALAXY BUR- [Communication intercepted by the Good Paladin Group™]

AKPAP
2020-07-24, 07:45 PM
If you're going to succeed in being evil, especially in a mostly Good-aligned world, you will need a base. In fact, a base will most certainly be the centerpiece of your Empire/Master Plan/ What-have-you.

But... How does one acquire a base?

Well, it can be as simple as using Stone Shape to carve yourself a hole in the mountain or as complicated as con'ing a noble to give you a castle. It goes without saying that there are few ways for a level 1 party to get a massive headquarters so I won't be going into any of that.

I have some favorites. And here's my list of them:

A gift: Maybe next time you help the emperor/king/duke/lord don't ask for monetary compensation. Ask instead for some land. Preferably close to a settlement you can tax protect.

Price of war: Oh geez, that Evil Lord is mistreating his peasants? He's dabbling in Necromancy? He's making deals with Devils? So am I!!! HE NEEDS TO BE STOPPED. And he will be, by yourself and your brave compatriots. But, what happens after? Will you let the area be ravaged by chaos and anarchy? No, of course not. Find some semi-legal looking way to take hold of the place. Maybe seduce/make friends with his heir, or create a security council to help the peasants (Pay your taxes to those above though). If the higher authorities do decide to change the regime (Doubtful RP wise), you will already have established yourselves in the community enough to effectively rule it.

Dungeon turned home: Most DMs will throw hours upon hours into making a dungeon for you and your fellow adventurers to delve into. Most of those will already have some sort of security in place that you won't have simply roflstomped through. (e.g. Magical/Mundane traps or walls)

Acheron cube: Acheron is said to be made up of countless cubes, completely separated from each other. In most of them, the armies of Baator and the Hordes of the Abyss duke it out daily, better to leave those alone. See if you can find one that isn't inhabited. Ocanthus, for example, has some weather effects that may dissuade most people from going there. Sand storms specifically, except, the sand is actually glass that moves at extremely high speed. Cast Wall of Stone or Wall of Force (Or both) and you should be fine. Just... Don't bother Wee Jas.

Demiplane: The absolute best. A world completely your own, a world that only you have access to. Unfortunately, Genesis is a 9th level spell and an expensive one at that. See if you can talk with you DM about using the much saner Pathfinder version Create Demiplane. If not, well good things don't come cheap.

Anthrowhale
2020-07-24, 08:21 PM
This one (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?527654-Death-Cults-a-BBEG-guide) might interest you.

Curelomosaurus
2020-07-24, 09:30 PM
The obvious evil-specific ways to gain power via evil:
-Swear service to Cthullu for bonus Vile feats (see Elder Evils)
-Sell your soul for goodies (Fiendish Codices I believe)
-Get free minions and lackeys by being a villain (Exemplars of Evil)
-Play a blackguard or one of the evil Paladin base classes from UA/Dragon magazine. Get free stuff from Pazuzu. (Note: Despot paladins, from Dragon #306 IIRC, get Leadership at level 5 for free. :smallbiggrin:)
-Be a necromancer/ur priest
-If you're undead/fiend, get tons of taint for 4 free feats.

Putting this all together, you get a lovely LE loophole-abuser despot/tyranny undead paladin who has sold their soul and consorted with evil extensively for 5 free feats, extra Vile feats based on level, a ton of minions, and a wish granted by Pazuzu. (If that still isn't enough power, go CE for a few more Wishes.)

Acheron cube: Acheron is said to be made up of countless cubes, completely separated from each other. In most of them, the armies of Baator and the Hordes of the Abyss duke it out daily, better to leave those alone. See if you can find one that isn't inhabited. Ocanthus, for example, has some weather effects that may dissuade most people from going there. Sand storms specifically, except, the sand is actually glass that moves at extremely high speed. Cast Wall of Stone or Wall of Force (Or both) and you should be fine. Just... Don't bother Wee Jas.

Doesn't Acheron drive its inhabitants mad until they murder each other? Might not be the best place to live, even if you're evil...