PDA

View Full Version : Blood Hunter help

Master O'Laughs
2020-07-25, 10:40 AM
So a whiles back I was getting advice on what to do for my blood hunter in a home brew campaign. I ended up picking a custom option to give me a +10 bonus to stealth checks and being immune to magical detection/divination.

I just hit level 3 and I am debating between 2 orders. The 1st is Order of the ghostslayer. If the character makes it to level 11, the increased damage would be nice against my branded opponents and I love the idea of walking through walls.

The other option is a custom order my DM made revolving around using poison. Rite damage is poison. This poison damage ignores resistance and deals additional damage equal to my Int mod if the target is neither resistant or immune to poison damage.

At lvl 11 the rite evolves to degrade immunity to resistance for poison damage and at 18 it ignores immunity.

Also at 11 it gives a once per day use of 1 of 3 poisons. All CON saves with 2 conferring the poisoned condition (1 making the target blind for a minute and the other putting them to sleep if they fail by 5 or more) and the other doing sneak attack type damage if they fail or half damage if they resist.

The poison theme also gives proficiency in Poisoners kit and stealth skill (which I already have and would be able to pick any skill in its place).

Would I be severely disadvantaged going the poison route?

Composer99
2020-07-25, 10:56 AM
So a whiles back I was getting advice on what to do for my blood hunter in a home brew campaign. I ended up picking a custom option to give me a +10 bonus to stealth checks and being immune to magical detection/divination.

I just hit level 3 and I am debating between 2 orders. The 1st is Order of the ghostslayer. If the character makes it to level 11, the increased damage would be nice against my branded opponents and I love the idea of walking through walls.

The other option is a custom order my DM made revolving around using poison. Rite damage is poison. This poison damage ignores resistance and deals additional damage equal to my Int mod if the target is neither resistant or immune to poison damage.

At lvl 11 the rite evolves to degrade immunity to resistance for poison damage and at 18 it ignores immunity.

Also at 11 it gives a once per day use of 1 of 3 poisons. All CON saves with 2 conferring the poisoned condition (1 making the target blind for a minute and the other putting them to sleep if they fail by 5 or more) and the other doing sneak attack type damage if they fail or half damage if they resist.

The poison theme also gives proficiency in Poisoners kit and stealth skill (which I already have and would be able to pick any skill in its place).

Would I be severely disadvantaged going the poison route?

If you are fighting a lot of fiends, elementals, undead, and constructs, you're in for trouble until you hit 18th level, because they are almost all immune to poison damage.

If you aren't, you're okay, because few other creatures have either resistance or immunity.

That could be a problem for blood hunter, because most of the enemies you want to fight belong to those categories.

All that is to say that it's campaign dependent. If your DM is doing a good job of mixing up your opponents, and you get to fight a variety of creatures, you'd be okay with either.

If, on the other hand, you're fighting a lot of enemies from the categories mentioned above... you should go ghostslayer, because you're going to spend the main part of the campaign (since most games peter out somewhere around 10th-15th level) with too many opponents being immune to poison damage and therefore with your main shtick of the homebrew order being unhelpful in too many situations.

Master O'Laughs
2020-07-25, 01:24 PM
I think the poison should be fine. Our kingdom is onthe verge of war with the dwarven kingdom but we are currently dealing with a human kingdom who was in cahoots with them. There is also a kingdom with tieflings, dragons and such which we do not have a great history with.

I think there will be varied enough monster types to fight and worst case for those immune to poinson, I can use a different rite.

I chose Lightning for my initial blood rite. What would be the best damage type to pick when I get esoteric? Thunder, Psychic or necrotic? Also for additional blood rite would fire be best choice since it has more vulnerabilities than cold?

Composer99
2020-07-25, 01:48 PM
IIRC psychic and thunder are very strong picks due to lack of resistance.

Master O'Laughs
2020-07-27, 07:38 AM
Here is another question,

What would be more useful as a skill Survival or Nature?

I currently have Stealth, Sleight of Hand (Urchin Background), Perception (elf), Acrobatics, Insight, Investigation (Class)

My DM will offer choices of skill use in different situations. As an example, in our last session I was looking out at sea to try and notice and threats from the water. He offered the use of Survival or Nature. Being currently untrained in either, I chose Nature since I have a +3 Int mod.

He gave me info that recalling different conversations and the time of year X monster was likely in the water.

I am guessing Survival would be seeing actual signs of such beasts.

I think no one else in the party has either skill.