PDA

View Full Version : [3e/3.5e] In Game Uses for Extraordinary Abilities

lucmarin
2020-07-25, 03:13 PM
I'm aware of the factotum's Cunning Brilliance ability which lets them copy the extraordinary abilities of other classes. Are there other examples of in-game classes, magic items, etc which specifically refer to extraordinary abilities this way?

More broadly, I don't quite see the point of the extraordinary ability distinction. I assume that the classification was added to facilitate understanding how abilities work at a glance (they don't provoke an attack of opportunity, they're standard actions, etc), but the text explaining extraordinary abilities clearly says that the only constant among them is that they're not magical.

These abilities cannot be disrupted in combat, as spells can, and they generally do not provoke attacks of opportunity. Effects or areas that negate or disrupt magic have no effect on extraordinary abilities. They are not subject to dispelling, and they function normally in an antimagic field.

Using an extraordinary ability is usually not an action because most extraordinary abilities automatically happen in a reactive fashion. Those extraordinary abilities that are actions are standard actions unless otherwise noted.

Is there a reason for including the extraordinary ability classification that I'm missing?

Edit: After doing some more reading I think that the extraordinary ability distinction exists for specifying what you do and don't get from Alter Self and Polymorph.

Psyren
2020-07-25, 03:17 PM
Primarily it exists for things that aren't magic but are beyond what the average person in a setting can do. For example, anyone can get angry, but only a Barbarian can channel that anger into hitting considerably harder and lifting far more weight than they a normal person should otherwise be able to. Similarly, everyone has an alignment, but the aura that corresponds with that alignment is particularly strong on Clerics who worship an aligned deity or ethos.

lucmarin
2020-07-25, 03:30 PM
Primarily it exists for things that aren't magic but are beyond what the average person in a setting can do. For example, anyone can get angry, but only a Barbarian can channel that anger into hitting considerably harder and lifting far more weight than they a normal person should otherwise be able to. Similarly, everyone has an alignment, but the aura that corresponds with that alignment is particularly strong on Clerics who worship an aligned deity or ethos.

I understand literally what they're classified as, I just don't see why it's necessary to distinguish between extraordinary abilities and non-magical non-extraordinary abilities.

Like in a fantasy setting 'extraordinary' is a such a subjective term, and the only mechanical commonality between all extraordinary abilities is that they're non-magical.

Heliomance
2020-07-27, 03:22 AM
I understand literally what they're classified as, I just don't see why it's necessary to distinguish between extraordinary abilities and non-magical non-extraordinary abilities.

It kinda doesn't do that? Pretty much every special ability is [Ex], [Su], or [Sp]. There's very very little that doesn't get tagged as one of those - so extraordinary abilities are just "these are special abilities that aren't magical". They're contrasted against magical abilities, not against "non-magical non-extraordinary abilities".

Raishoiken
2020-07-27, 03:33 AM
It kinda doesn't do that? Pretty much every special ability is [Ex], [Su], or [Sp]. There's very very little that doesn't get tagged as one of those - so extraordinary abilities are just "these are special abilities that aren't magical". They're contrasted against magical abilities, not against "non-magical non-extraordinary abilities".

Well there are natural abilities, which are all things not otherwise labeled as ex, so, or su. this is laid out on pg 180 of the PH1

Gruftzwerg
2020-07-27, 05:29 AM

Like in a fantasy setting 'extraordinary' is a such a subjective term, and the only mechanical commonality between all extraordinary abilities is that they're non-magical.

you got it, they are not magical..that's it^^
While this may look like an unnecessary distinction, it is relevant for some niche chases:

- Polymorph / Wild Shape.. and the like are one example where it becomes relevant
- Anti Magic Field is another example where this makes a huge difference if an ability is EX or not/something else
- since it's not magical it can be dispelled either

If we would give this topic more thoughts, I'm sure we would find more niche examples where it makes a difference.

edit:
non-magical non-extraordinary abilities
I'm not sure if something besides from "Natural Abilities" (e.g. Ability Scores) would qualify for this. IIRC all regular abilities fall under the big 3 (EX, SU, SP/SLA).

Twurps
2020-07-27, 08:35 AM
you got it, they are not magical..that's it^^
While this may look like an unnecessary distinction, it is relevant for some niche chases:

- Polymorph / Wild Shape.. and the like are one example where it becomes relevant
- Anti Magic Field is another example where this makes a huge difference if an ability is EX or not/something else
- since it's not magical it can be dispelled either

If we would give this topic more thoughts, I'm sure we would find more niche examples where it makes a difference.

edit:
I'm not sure if something besides from "Natural Abilities" (e.g. Ability Scores) would qualify for this. IIRC all regular abilities fall under the big 3 (EX, SU, SP/SLA).

there's the big 3, and then there's natural abilities, so there's actually 4 categories. because:

Special Attacks and Special Qualities
Many creatures have unusual abilities, ... A monster entry breaks these abilities into special attacks and special qualities. The latter category includes defenses, vulnerabilities, and other special abilities that are not modes of attack. A special ability is either extraordinary (Ex), spell-like (Sp), or supernatural (Su).

This might suggest all abilities fall under either of these 3 categories, but in fact they do not. This definition only applies to those qualities listed under special attacks and/or special qualities in the monster's entry.

the detailed listing on P180 of the PH also includes 'natural abilities'.

Natural Abilities: This category includes abilities a creature has because of its physical nature, such as a bird’s ability to fly. Natural abilities are those not otherwise designated as extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like.
As any ability that is listed under special attacks or special qualities is one of the big 3 per the MM. this forth ability can only apply to anything that is not listed as such. This does include ability scores, but is not limited to it.

Let's take flight for example:
An owl's (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/owl.htm) has the ability to fly. 'fly' is not mentioned in the special attack and/or special qualities section of it's entry. The ability to fly is only mentioned in his 'speed' entry. therefore, an owl's ability to fly is a natural ability.
Compare this to a beholder (not OGL? MM p26). the beholder has this ability listed under it's special qualities, so it has to be (su),(sp), or (ex) and the description than lists it as (ex). Should the description not list this, it defaults back to the glossary, which determines in what type those abilities fall.

Why does this matter: wild-shape has been mentioned, where you don't get the 'ex' abilities (though flight may have been a bad example, because you do get the movement modes :P )
and in the case of the factotum: he could replicate the flight from a beholder, but not from an owl.

Funnily enough: this makes most ex abilities quite easily universally obtainable, if not via the factotum's cunning brilliance, then for instance via the 7th level of master of many forms. I found natural abilities are much harder to come by. Though I can't for the life of me figure out which natural ability I could have possibly been interested in, way back when making my MoMF's.

Psyren
2020-07-27, 09:56 AM
and in the case of the factotum: he could replicate the flight from a beholder, but not from an owl.

Cunning Brilliance lets a factotum replicate an extraordinary class ability. The Beholder's flight is Ex, but comes from their race, not their class.

This is otherwise a good example though - an owl's flight is something that doesn't need explanation in the game, because their wings are apparent, and damaging or restricting their wings will interfere with their ability to fly. A Beholder's flight meanwhile is not a natural ability, but a monstrous quality, and one that may defy physics - but it's something that functions even in areas without magic.

Gruftzwerg
2020-07-27, 12:44 PM
there's the big 3, and then there's natural abilities, so there's actually 4 categories. because:

The big 3 are "special abilities" and "natural abilities" ain't one of em. The OP asked for non-magical non-extraordinary abilities and omho only Natural Abilities fits that, but they aren't "special" as said. Things like nonmagical movement modes, ability scores, size and such are Natural Abilities.

Raishoiken
2020-07-28, 12:43 AM

This might suggest all abilities fall under either of these 3 categories, but in fact they do not. This definition only applies to those qualities listed under special attacks and/or special qualities in the monster's entry.

the detailed listing on P180 of the PH also includes 'natural abilities'.

As any ability that is listed under special attacks or special qualities is one of the big 3 per the MM. this forth ability can only apply to anything that is not listed as such. This does include ability scores, but is not limited to it.

Let's take flight for example:
An owl's (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/owl.htm) has the ability to fly. 'fly' is not mentioned in the special attack and/or special qualities section of it's entry. The ability to fly is only mentioned in his 'speed' entry. therefore, an owl's ability to fly is a natural ability.
Compare this to a beholder (not OGL? MM p26). the beholder has this ability listed under it's special qualities, so it has to be (su),(sp), or (ex) and the description than lists it as (ex). Should the description not list this, it defaults back to the glossary, which determines in what type those abilities fall.

Why does this matter: wild-shape has been mentioned, where you don't get the 'ex' abilities (though flight may have been a bad example, because you do get the movement modes :P )

Funnily enough: this makes most ex abilities quite easily universally obtainable, if not via the factotum's cunning brilliance, then for instance via the 7th level of master of many forms. I found natural abilities are much harder to come by. Though I can't for the life of me figure out which natural ability I could have possibly been interested in, way back when making my MoMF's.

the spellcasting from anything that gets it perhaps? there are few other cool types but this is something that comes up since the spells themselves are magical the spellcasting skill itself is not