PDA

View Full Version : Not So Super Man

Tom Kalbfus
2020-07-25, 08:50 PM
This is my idea for a superhero set in D20 Modern, he is Not So Super Man. He has the same sorts of powers that Superman, only they are defined by a number. The first power is Super Strength, we'll just set his Strength score to 45, so he gets a +17 to hit in melee combat and a +17 on damage.

Not So Super Man also has Super Speed, so we'll set his Dexterity score to 45 to reflect this, he get a +17 adjustment to his Defense score, and gets a +17 to hit with ranged attacks.

Not So Super Man is also Super Tough, so we'll set his Constitution score to 45, he gets +17 for every hit die that he rolls for hit points, he is not bullet proof, he just has a lot of hit points, and also the massive damage rule doesn't apply to him, he needs to lose all of his hit points to lose consciousness, no shortcuts and no fortitude checks if he takes massive damage that is less than his total hit points.

reddir
2020-07-25, 10:00 PM
Okay, I will ask.

Is there something significant about “45” or “+17”?

Tom Kalbfus
2020-07-26, 02:17 PM
Okay, I will ask.

Is there something significant about “45” or “+17”?
In the Player's Handbook, that is the highest score shown. There is a formula I can use to calculate the adjustments of higher scores, but I figure I can stick with that and keep this character within reasonable bounds yet still be super, and not do what DC does with Superman. This character would also need a high wisdom score, for his super sight and supervision, so give him a 45 wisdom as well. To maintain a secret identity would require a high Charisma score for the Bluff and disguise checks. I don't think he needs superintelligence, usually the villain has that. I think this character could start out as a 3rd level Strong Hero, a 3rd level Fast Hero, a 3rd level Tough Hero, a 3rd level Dedicated Hero, and a 3rd level Charismatic Hero, this would approximate many of the abilities Superman has and assign a number to them, this would be a 15th level character, the hit dice would be 6d8+3d10+6d6+255 hit points a total of 320 hit points on average.

The defense bonus would be +11 +17 for Dexterity which would produce a defense score of 38, the attack bonus would be +11 +17 for strength so for melee he would get a +28 to hit with a +17 on damage, so if he fights like superman with his fists. He could do 1d3+17 points of damage with each blow that he lands. He could survive being dropped out of an airplane without a parachute and hitting concrete, he could take a few bullets as he as 320 hit points, and he could have a damage reduction of 2 as a third level Tough Hero.

How super is this superhero? If he uses the jump skill, he could take 10 and jump 6 feet up into the air with a DC of 26, with some ranks in the Jump skill, he can jump 10 feet straight up and up to 40 feet in a long jump with a running start. His base speed would be 40 feet per combat round, not exactly superfast, but these abilities do seem within the Realms of physics
If I look at they carrying capacity tables, a light load for him would be 4,256 pounds, a medium load would be 8,528 pounds and a heavy load would be 12,800 pounds, he could pick up a car and lift it over his head.