PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A lich's phylactery

haplot
2020-07-26, 12:23 AM
is it possible to have more than one at any time? or do you have to wait until the one you do have is destroyed or what?

Would a homebrew feat get round the restrictions or can the GM just say otherwise?

Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance for replies

Zanos
2020-07-26, 01:01 AM
By default, a lich has only a single phylactery. Aumvor's Fragmented Phylactery is an Epic spell in Champions of Ruin that allowed you to split your phylactery into as many separate phylacteries as your casting stat modifier.

haplot
2020-07-26, 05:52 AM
thanks for the reply.

Didn't know Aumvor's Fragmented Phylactery was a thing. Tyvm for bringing it to my attention.

I take it theres no other way to split the phylactery?

ShurikVch
2020-07-26, 08:17 AM
Dry Lich - from Sandstorm - have five "phylacteries" (canopic jars) to begin with

haplot
2020-07-26, 09:32 AM
great stuff

i will read up on it now

many thanks

haplot
2020-07-26, 02:30 PM
Had a look at the dry lich, and although its a nice template, its not quite what i'm looking for. By the looks of things, the jars act as one phylactery because its got the vital organs in them (although i could be wrong on the whole one item thing)

The fluff of it doesn't fit in what i want it to do. I was wanting more of the voldamort items from the j.k. rowling books.

Jowgen
2020-07-26, 02:44 PM
Other then the afore-cited options, there's not really anything else of interest out there.

Libris Mortis' section on Pylacteries is quite explicit regarding the 1 phylacter/Lich thing; so unless someone knows something even more obscure than what's already been mentioned (I'd be well surprised), that's unfortunately more or less it.

There might be some other immortality/conditional auto-revival methods beyond Lichdom out there that might suit your desired flavour though.

haplot
2020-07-26, 03:47 PM
Okay, thanks for the help.

Guess I will have to homebrew something.

Have a good one.

PrismCat21
2020-07-27, 09:44 PM
The fluff of it doesn't fit in what i want it to do. I was wanting more of the voldamort items from the j.k. rowling books.

Guess I will have to homebrew something.

Just change the fluff. If you're willing to homebrew something new and the crunch of Dry Lich works for you, make the fluff work for you to.

unseenmage
2020-07-28, 09:27 AM
If you're in PF and prone to cheese you could.be a Trompe L'oeil Lich, then you'd have a phylactery and a painting that is basically a phylactery.
And you're a Construct so, Bonus!

haplot
2020-08-04, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately no PF

I was wondering if say making more than one phlactery is say worth a feat? As you are basically splitting up your soul into parts, not putting all ya eggs in one basket so to speak?

If its worth a feat, whats suggestions to what caster level / character level it should be?

Any other suggestions as to what to do here?

KillianHawkeye
2020-08-04, 10:01 PM

If you want to make a Voldemort in D&D, just do it. He wasn't exactly identical to a lich, since he wasn't really undead; more like the horcruxes stopped him from being killed (at a horrible cost of being nearly powerless for over a decade). But his immortality certainly had rules, and that's good enough to have someone like that as a villain in a D&D game.

Likewise, if you want to make an actual Lich that has more than one phylactery, just do it. Say that he's got a unique ability to copy fragments of his soul into more than one object, but as a cost (as opposed to the epic spell) it takes him longer to come back from destruction (like Voldemort) because his soul has to gather from various sources spread far and wide. As long as you make it make sense, and it has something that your players can interact with, it'll work out fine.

Rules are great, and I strongly recommend knowing them so that you have enough information to know which rules to bend and which rules to break, but if you want to tell a story that isn't directly supported by the rules you absolutely can still tell that story. In fact, you'll probably find that the best stories come from making exceptions to the rules rather than from following them to the letter.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6b/64/f7/6b64f77f964a559512daaf65b4340e28.jpg