PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 druid help

jdizzlean
2020-07-26, 01:45 AM
I've finally gotten the go ahead to buy or have crafted some decent armor for my druid.

i'm primarily a summoning based druid, however i use wild shape for mobility, mostly for faster flying forms. I just hit 13th lvl.

I've been stuck largely with +1 Hide for the majority of our campaign. we're currently trying to figure out how to battle a red dracolich... so SR might be a real need.

we're probably going to do a party's worth of dragonhide armor crafting, so that is likely the base material, but there may be better options out there worth looking at. I've looked at eggy's handbook, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot in it for armor options beyond the wild enhancement.

iircc, the DM had already ban hammered dwarven full plate, even dragoncrafted a long time ago when i brought it up.

as it is, i asked for SR and Wild if nothing else to apply to my +1 Hide, but he also said that I'd probably be able to find, or have crafted, better armor where we are.

any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

xoxo

Gavinfoxx
2020-07-26, 02:13 AM
I always preferred the various wooden armors. Ironwooded (Or Bluewooded) Darkwood, or Duskwood Breastplates. Basically act like Mithral Breastplate. Get it +1, with whatever enhancements you want, and add a Wilding Clasp.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-07-26, 02:23 AM
You'll get more AC by buying a monk's belt with a wilding clasp as long as you have high wisdom.
There aren't really any armor enhancements you absolutely need on a druid, but if you want something like Soulfire for convenience you can put it on Bracers of Armor, again with a wilding clasp.

The wild enhancement is pretty much always a waste of money unless you're in a core-only game.
The same is unfortunately true for SR enhancements which are way too weak to help against any real threat at the time you can afford them. You're better off investing the gold into increasing your saving throws.

jdizzlean
2020-07-26, 03:00 AM
i've already got a cloak of resistance +5 w/ a wildling clasp.

the only wildling clasp i've been allowed to find/buy this game

Gavinfoxx
2020-07-26, 03:22 PM
Well looks like you're taking 'Craft Wondrous Item' at some point, then?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-07-26, 10:02 PM
i've already got a cloak of resistance +5 w/ a wildling clasp.

the only wildling clasp i've been allowed to find/buy this game

You should be casting Superior Resistance (SC) on yourself every day, trade in that +5 cloak and put that Wilding Clasp to better use.

Looks to me like you'll be better off having more wilding clasps crafted over a new suit of armor. For the armor itself, ask about the Armor of the Beast in CC, along with the other items in that set, namely the Ring of the Beast.

If you're good aligned, just cast (Extended) (Greater) Luminous Armor every day. Get a Rod of Bodily Restoration (MIC) or prepare Lesser Restoration to fix the Str damage sacrifice that occurs when it ends.

Even with wild armor, you should be able to benefit from the Monk's Belt AC bonus when wild shaped. Wild armor retains the armor bonus, but not the armor check penalty or speed reduction or armored status, whenever you're wild shaped. The same goes for wild shields, you could get a +1 wild wooden tower shield and not even take the nonproficiency penalty when you wild shape.

If you do put the Wilding Clasp on a Monk's Belt or similar, the item 'continues to function' when you wild shape. One function of a belt is to hold other items, so any items (metamagic rods, prayer beads, pearls of power, wands, bone talisman (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) spell foci, etc.) stored in your belt will also benefit from the wilding clasp.

If possible, pick up a 6th level Pearl of Power and a standard Metamagic Rod of Extend. Every other day prepare Energy Immunity (SC) twice, use the pearl to cast it three times with the rod, each will last 48 hours. On the days in between prepare Superior Resistance and Energy Immunity each once, use the pearl to cast Energy Immunity a second time and use the rod on those, so they'll each last 48 hours. This gives you constant immunity to all five energy types and a +6 resistance bonus to your saving throws, for the cost of those two items and two 6th level spells per day.

Edit: Get the rest of the party to each pitch in 2,000 gp to get you a 1st level Pearl of Power and to go in thirds on Lesser Rods of Extend so you have one use of each per party member. Every day use those to put Snowsight (FB) on yourself and the rest of the party. Also every day you and just about any other spellcasters in your party can all cast (Extended) Obscuring Snow (FB), which is basically a trump card against any opponent that relies on sight. It even defeats True Seeing and similar.

Gavinfoxx
2020-07-27, 06:24 AM
You can also Wild Shape, then have a friend dress you in animal barding, or help you put on a Monk's Belt after the transformation.