PDA

View Full Version : [PF2e] Dispelling question

farothel
2020-07-26, 04:04 PM
If I read the rules of dispelling correctly, if you use a spell to do it, the counteract level you have to use is the spell level. So for instance a Dispel Magic has a counteract level of 2. That also means that on a critical success on the counteract check, you can dispel an effect of level 5 or lower. But Dispel magic can't be heightened (at least, it has no heighten entry in the book) and I don't see an advanced Dispel magic (or a greater dispel magic) in the spell list.

Are there spells in the book that allow you to dispel higher effects? Or does dispel magic scale somehow that I missed?

catagent101
2020-07-26, 06:22 PM
Yes, dispel magic can be heightened, provided you are either a prepared caster, have it as a signature spell if you're a spontaneous spellcaster, or know it at a higher level version. The lack of a heightened entry doesn't mean a spell can't be heightened, it just means that by default it only increases the spell's level.

Citation (http://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=273). Also spellcasting Adult Red Dragons have 6th-level dispel magic by default in their spell list if you need something concrete.

I imagine that bit on Pg. 306 will get erratad.

farothel
2020-07-27, 04:53 AM
Thanks. It was indeed a question of me overlooking a rule. :smallsigh: