PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Witch Communing With Familiar. How does it look?

WitchyKitty
2020-07-26, 10:37 PM
Hey there ! New user here! Made this account and joined the forum solely to ask this question (and of course, browse and lurk)

So, Pathfinder's Witch class states that to memorize or change out your spells, you must commune with your familiar for a little while. From an in-character perspective (I am not talking about mechanics), what would this look like?

A witch sitting in a ritual circle while their familiar just yowls/caws/hisses/barks at them repeatedly?
How do you interpret it yourself when you're playing, or DMing?

For my catfolk and her feline familiar, it sounds silly, but I've always imagined it's just like her staring ahead intently, with the cat in her lap; she'd just be furiously/rapidly petting the cat familiar repeatedly while their eyes glow the same colour. And she'd gain or memorize the spells via... I dunno, her cat's arcane purring.

daryen
2020-07-27, 08:23 PM
Honestly, it's probably whatever the player wants.

But, I also imagine that the familiar can probably talk with the witch on behalf of their patron. The familiar, I assume, is supposed to be the patron's representative, so I would imagine it could talk whenever needed. Not that the famailiar itself has to talk, but something through it.

But, again, maybe not. Maybe the familiar simply serves as a focus for the witch's meditation. Whether that involves and noises from the familiar will likely vary by witch and/or familiar.

It's probably left vague so each player can do what they want. Or ignore it if they don't want to bother.

Peelee
2020-07-28, 08:18 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: I've moved this to the 3.5/Pathfinder forum.

Psyren
2020-07-28, 10:11 AM
It's not clearly defined but as long as you can communicate with it (hear it and be heard, or something more exotic if the familiar is capable of that) you should be fine. As for what onlookers observe, I imagine the witch is either just speaking or else chittering, purring, clicking or some other form of communication.