PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Does Otyugh Hole actually cost money?

Max Caysey
2020-07-27, 06:34 AM
Hi guys...

If I'm starting a character, lets say on level 5, would I have to pay 3000 if I include Otyugh Hole in my back storry, to get the benifit of the hole? Like, do I use 3000 gp of my WBL on the hole or not? I can't seem to find any difinitive answer?

Cheers!

Doctor Despair
2020-07-27, 06:51 AM
I'm interested to see the answer, but of note, you can also take a Fey bloodline to gain Iron Will as a bonus feat if the WBL is disqualifying to your build -- and may not even have to pay the level tax, depending on how long your campaign will be running, as it comes before the first tax even if you pay them at their regularly scheduled intervals.

Lilapop
2020-07-27, 07:12 AM
Ability Value: This entry provides the gp value of the conferred ability. Although these abilities can never be bought or sold, they can be substituted for treasure of like value and count toward the benefiting character’s overall wealth.

A freshly created level 5 character is supposed to have a networth of 9000 gp. You can be carrying 900 platinum coins and the clothes on your back. You can be carrying nine cloaks of resistance +1 and no cash at all. Or... you can have six of those cloaks and Iron Will from the Otyugh Hole. At least for WBL aspects, all three of these would be legal.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-07-27, 10:37 AM
If you visit the Otyugh Hole (or another magical location) during play and actually play out the encounters, it's free. If you did it during downtime or prior to the start of play it costs the printed value in WBL. This may represent travel fees, supplies, therapy, lost adventuring time where experience was gained without loot, etc.

schreier
2020-07-27, 02:48 PM
I would say yes it actually costs money - and in game, even when playing it - you should try and represent the cost ... cost to bribe guards, supplies, whatever

But like a magic item, you might just give them access for free (a +1 sword costs 2000, but sometimes its free)

Zanos
2020-07-27, 02:51 PM
It counts against your WBL if you start with it. If a DM includes a magical location as a reward from an adventure it should count against the treasure from the adventure.

But no, there is not technically a coin slot that you must insert 3,000 gold pieces into for the magical location to operate.