PDA

View Full Version : Dying with Honor

Julian84
2020-07-28, 12:29 PM
If this has been brought up before, I apologize for beating a dead horse :smallredface:

So the Dwarven afterlife system was a major plot point in the last arc, based on the bet between Thor and Hel that she would get the souls of Dwarves who died "dishonorably" while honorable Dwarves go off to their respective deity's afterlife for them.

I'm curious how this worked out in principle, though - would the other gods not have been rightfully ticked off with Thor for making a bet that theoretically doomed their own followers? How did he have the authority to even make that bet? Does the bet only apply to Thor-worshipping Dwarves? And if so, why would any significant population of Dwarves continue to worship Thor? The canon seems to make it clear that the gods destroying the world would have doomed the entire Dwarven population to a dishonorable death, even though they had no control over their fate which makes it hard to determine how it was honorable or dishonorable.

And for that matter, how does a Loki-worshipper die an honorable death? It would seem to me that Loki's people would be entirely about living as long as you can, dying fat and happy. Did Loki have to negotiate a deal with his daughter that establishes his particular brand of honor so his subjects don't end up in Hel for no reason?

Fyraltari
2020-07-28, 01:05 PM
If this has been brought up before, I apologize for beating a dead horse :smallredface:

So the Dwarven afterlife system was a major plot point in the last arc, based on the bet between Thor and Hel that she would get the souls of Dwarves who died "dishonorably" while honorable Dwarves go off to their respective deity's afterlife for them.

I'm curious how this worked out in principle, though - would the other gods not have been rightfully ticked off with Thor for making a bet that theoretically doomed their own followers? How did he have the authority to even make that bet? Does the bet only apply to Thor-worshipping Dwarves? And if so, why would any significant population of Dwarves continue to worship Thor? The canon seems to make it clear that the gods destroying the world would have doomed the entire Dwarven population to a dishonorable death, even though they had no control over their fate which makes it hard to determine how it was honorable or dishonorable.

And for that matter, how does a Loki-worshipper die an honorable death? It would seem to me that Loki's people would be entirely about living as long as you can, dying fat and happy. Did Loki have to negotiate a deal with his daughter that establishes his particular brand of honor so his subjects don't end up in Hel for no reason?

General consesus is that:
A) Hel stated that it wworked that way when it was her turn (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html) so the other gods had to accept it and

B) Hilgya is one of the very few Loki-worshipping dwarfs (she was converted by humans (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1114.html) and she is a missionary of sort to the Dwarven Lands (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1113.html)) so this probably rarely comes up (although it did as some of Hel's souls belong to her dad (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1171.html)). No idea as to wether her gambit can work, though.

thereaper
2020-07-28, 01:11 PM
It's also worth noting that we've seen no evidence of Dwarves from any other continents. Their souls may be a purely Northern matter.

KorvinStarmast
2020-07-28, 01:13 PM
It's also worth noting that we've seen no evidence of Dwarves from any other continents. Their souls may be a purely Northern matter. Does this mean that the North is a dwarven ghetto? :smalleek: Enclave? Reservation?

Wizard_Lizard
2020-07-28, 07:59 PM
It's also worth noting that we've seen no evidence of Dwarves from any other continents. Their souls may be a purely Northern matter.

I mean there was a duergar in one of the strips, selling weapons to the Azure city resistance if I remember correctly.