PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth multiclassing a moon druid?

Seekergeek
2020-07-28, 04:44 PM
I feel like I come across this suggestion fairly frequently - either someone has the rolls to toss paladin and druid together, or they get the bright idea to put warmage or bladesinger to use on a bear. My question is, are either of these combos really worth delaying the already janky progression of the moon forms? I suppose the AC, speed and concentration buff of the bladesong could be worthwhile, but that puts you two levels out from bypassing damage resistance not to mention the boost into elemental forms. Has anyone played a multiclassed moon druid and found the tradeoff to be worth it?

Also, only somewhat related, who's managed to talk their DM into allowing the half-dragon template as a wildshape option?

kaervaak
2020-07-28, 05:54 PM
Depends of what level you see the campaign going to. If you're going to 20, then no, don't multiclass. Archdruid on a Moondruid is just too good to pass up.

In T1 it's a toss up. Moon druid is bonkers at level 2 but starts to fall off by the time you get to level 5. Multiclassing at level 2 is very appealing if you're going to end before level 10.

In T2/T3 you get elemental wildshapes which are pretty great but after that you don't get much from your wildshapes until 18th level when you can cast spells while wildshaped.

clash
2020-07-28, 06:08 PM
I like taking 1 level of goo warlock for telepathy so I can stay in wildshape for hours and still talk to my team

etrpgb
2020-07-28, 08:00 PM
In general... no. Druid is a class that works fine single classed. Full caster, and in the case of Moon druid, powerful transformations.

Still, if you do not care too much about "pure power" here some things I can think of. If to care about pure power makes sense depends on the group; if everyone cares you should to, otherwise go wild.

. As clash mentioned, Goo Warlock makes communication easier and gives Eldritch Blast (and let's be honest it is fun), the 13 of Charisma you need may make the choice quite harsh for a Druid.

. Sun Soul Monks give you Radiant Sun Bolt a fun ranged attacks that works also while you are transformed. At higher levels (around 12) you can be a Eagle that throws Ki Waves at enemies!

. Paladins gives you plenty of powers that works also transformed.

. Clerics, for Bless, and useful domain powers.

. Warmage, to have always to use your reaction on. But the 13 of Intelligence may make it harsh for a druid.

Yunru
2020-07-28, 08:13 PM
Will you be going to level 20? If yes, stick with Druid.
Will you be stopping around level 5? If yes, take a one level dip in Monk or Barbarian.
Will you be stopping around level 11? If yes, take three levels of Monk, or Barbarian, or two of Paladin or Bladesinger.
Otherwise, take five levels of Monk, Barbarian, or Paladin, maybe 6 levels of Bladesinger.

jas61292
2020-07-28, 08:32 PM
The issue with multiclassing as a Moon Druid is that, outside of level 2 and 3 or so, the power of your wild shape is not amazing next to other melee options. When you multiclass, and therefore push back your wild shape scaling, your shape options are even weaker. Assuming you are looking for a build that is mainly Moon Druid, your multiclass levels must therefore make up for putting your form progression behind a pure druid.

A few multiclass dips can easily be worth that. Barbarian is a good one, for instance, because rage can practically double the durability of a wild shape, while also granting extra damage. Paladin is also a decent option as smites can supplement a weaker offense.

MaxWilson
2020-07-28, 09:53 PM
Also, only somewhat related, who's managed to talk their DM into allowing the half-dragon template as a wildshape option?

Ha! It is to laugh.

sambojin
2020-07-28, 11:09 PM
Monk 1 isn't bad for the AC.

Starting as Sorc 1 then into Moon isn't bad for the Con save proficiency and Mage Armour and origin.

War Cleric 1 isn't bad for the Wis-mod bonus action attacks per day and Bless and lots of spell prep.

Hexblade 1 is OK for the curse.

Anything that takes a 2 level dip is probably too much, unless it gives you very nice things at lvl1 as well. A 3lvl dip is way too much.

elyktsorb
2020-07-29, 02:57 AM
For shorter games it hardly matters, for longer games I wouldn't suggest it.

CTurbo
2020-07-29, 04:49 AM
1 level of Monk adds a lot and is such an easy dip.

prototype00
2020-07-29, 05:03 AM
For games that go to 10+ Definitely no. Elementals are so much fun and lvl 18-20 greatness beckons.

Below that... maybe. Especially if it’s something with synergy like Life Cleric for Great-Berries or the aforementioned Monk and Barbarian.

nickl_2000
2020-07-29, 07:22 AM
It depends on the max level really, as others have said.

If you are going to be higher than 10 and less than 18, then go for it
If you are going to be higher than 5 and less than 10, then go for it.
Otherwise I wouldn't. Level 1-5, 10, 18, and 20 are all amazing for Moon Druids and you don't want to miss out on that

A dip in barbarian or monk can increase your AC significantly (and barbarian rage can make your wildshape HP go further)
A dip into cleric can give you more cantrips, bless, and more spell choices in a day
A dip in warlock is pretty much good for any class
A dip into Ranger can up your melee potential.

My last Moon Druid, Lepo went 12 Druid/4 Hunter Ranger/1 Light Cleric (10 Moon Druid, then 4 Ranger, then 2 more druid, then 1 light cleric since I wasn't excited about level 13 in druid). He was a melee machine in caster mode with a Belt of Giant Strength, Staff of the Woodlands (and shillelagh), Booming Blade (through magic initiate), Hunter's mark/Guardian of Nature, and the hunter ranger Colossus Slayer. He could heal at an amazing rate, and he had killer battlefield control, and cantrips to cover most situations. Wild shape was used for when he ran low on HP, needed utility, or when elementals were helpful.

Overall he was an amazing character, and it helped to know that the character was getting to 16-17 max level from an early stage.

As a side note: My DM houseruled that life cleric would make you produce more goodberries, not that they healed more, and life cleric would only apply to healing spirit once. Which is part of the reason why I didn't do life cleric.

stoutstien
2020-07-29, 07:29 AM
IMO no. There isn't anything wrong with it but outside of specific concept goals the cost of slowing down your class progression isn't worth it.