PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Paladin vs Rogue in a Party , Rogue caught red-handed

Tsiyo
2020-07-29, 11:20 AM
Hello guys!

My friends and I recently started playing DND 5e. I made a LG Paladin with Oath of Ancients and the party has a Rogue, a fighter , a sorcerer a cleric, and a Barbarian.

While we were playing and happened to catch some goblins in an old tavern in the woods, (obviously we all searched the rooms after the fight for clues or stuff) we rolled and I happened to roll higher on investigation. The DM said that I found a quite big amount of gold in the taverns cashier table and I took it in first place in orded not to take it for myself but for an other purpose ( to give the gold in poor families after we finished mission). All the other players ( out of game they heard of taking the money) started to metagaming a lot. The DM told them that they shouldnt do that, so they asked if they saw me taking it and obviously they didnt. At the end of all the discussions i told them " i found 120 gold and i ll give it to my temple in order to be fair, end of story" .

After this , our rogue tried to steal from me this amount of gold, but failed the rolls so I grabbed him . I obviously didnt like the stealing and I tried to talk to him that if he wanted the money he should ask for them and that i dont like that. The funny thing is , the whole group started to talk about giving 120g to all of the party in order to split them between us. The session ended there with me (the Paladin) grabbing the Rogue after he tried to steal from me , obviously lecturing him about what not to do. My team mates supported the rogue because they didnt like that i didnt share the 120gold with them. And all of this while on road for a mission WITH the NPC that gave us the mission.

So my questions are:
:smallsmile: What should I do with my rp after that?
:smallsmile: Is it right to back the rogue up in a situation like this ?
:smallsmile: Is the rp of my teammates ok ?

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-29, 11:46 AM
Being imperfect doesn't make you bad. All people make mistakes. However, only a good person tries to amend their mistakes.

You made an assumption that the gold would be best used as a donation towards your temple, as it wasn't serving you directly and you know that the gold being used this way wouldn't be wasted on vices or violence. Which is why you thought it was the right thing to do.

However, you do recognize that the gold was earned as a group effort, and that it was wrong of you to make the assumption that what was "fair" to you may not have been "fair" to everyone that deserved an opinion on the matter. You listened to your own opinion, but you forgot to ask them for theirs, and that was wrong of you.

From their perspective, you were the one that was stealing (as it didn't include the party's consent), and the Rogue wasn't stealing anything more than something you didn't deserve (the same way stealing from badguys isn't a bad thing).

Very rarely can overcommunication support something wrong, and not communicating with the party was your error.

However, the Rogue attempting to steal the gold is another problem. He was not aware of the gold when he attempted the theft, and so he was obviously trying to filch whatever you had and not because it was his fair share. While you did what you believed was most helpful to people other than you, the Rogue did so to help himself, and state that it's something the party needs to address.

This puts the Rogue on defense instead of you, party thinks you're an honest martyr, Rogue apologizes and promises never to do it again, and now everyone distrusts the Rogue and trusts the Paladin. Life goes on.

Of course, this is all under the assumption you're trying to be a Lawful Good Paladin. I've always been under the opinion that alignment should reflect how the world sees you, and isn't really up to the individual's opinion. Fact is, if you know 99 people and yourself, and the only person saying you're a good guy is yourself, why should the 1 outweigh the other 99?

follacchioso
2020-07-29, 11:48 AM
Ultimately you will have to share the gold with them.

You are the most charismatic character - don't waste your chance on being stubborn.

Your party companions fought hard to save the place from the goblins, just acknowledge that and accept the split. The others will respect you more after that.

Pex
2020-07-29, 11:55 AM
It was wrong of you to claim the gold to give to charity, You stole from the party. That was party treasure. Just because you rolled higher to have found it doesn't change the fact. You're all adventuring together. Treasure found is party treasure. You can do what you want with your share. You can ask them to donate. Some players might even if not all their share, but you do not preemptively make that decision for them.

The rogue trying to steal from you was also wrong, but he had no choice. The DM is enabling player vs player attitudes. He used his power of DM hatred against metagaming to let you get away with stealing from the party. The players were rightfully angry you stole from them, but the DM told them to shut up about it. Since that's the game the rogue played along and tried to steal from you. You've caught the rogue trying to steal, and now the tension is escalating. This is always the result when someone steals from the party and other player vs player actions and the DM lets it happen.

Apologize to the group for stealing party treasure and promise never to do it again. Give them their share.

Tsiyo
2020-07-29, 12:01 PM
Thanks guys for the help!
Its my first time to make a paladin so I needed some advise on the matter !
So its nice to have some help in order to learn how to play them and how decision making is done in such matters.

I think i became stubborn because I saw them do what they did out of game and I wasnt sure if I had ( or want) to share what I've found, while In Game they supported theft only because of "fair share" .

The Characters had their second mission , our backgrounds are not alined , so I supposed we are not so bonded yet if we are to say that my character "trusts them" or "knows them".

Tsiyo
2020-07-29, 12:09 PM
Also a little add on that. As far as we played, what each one found kept it for him/herself . Personally it didnt matter to me at all.
But they saw gold and they went on berserk for it :P both in meta and IG . :P ( literally I didnt even have 1 sec to think what Im gonna do with that) And the rest ...well you know the story ^_^ .
If i ll give my 120 gold pieces on the Rogue ( who is a halfing ) is it a good Idea ? :P and make him take the decision of splitting the shares .

firelistener
2020-07-29, 12:14 PM
Very rarely can overcommunication support something wrong, and not communicating with the party was your error.

This advice applies to just about any problem between players I've ever heard, and is just as useful when not playing D&D.

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-29, 12:16 PM
This advice applies to just about any problem between players I've ever heard, and is just as useful when not playing D&D.
No joke. Most issues that therapy or good relationships bring up are mostly solved by just communicating better.

Master O'Laughs
2020-07-29, 01:03 PM
Also a little add on that. As far as we played, what each one found kept it for him/herself . Personally it didnt matter to me at all.
But they saw gold and they went on berserk for it :P both in meta and IG . :P ( literally I didnt even have 1 sec to think what Im gonna do with that) And the rest ...well you know the story ^_^ .
If i ll give my 120 gold pieces on the Rogue ( who is a halfing ) is it a good Idea ? :P and make him take the decision of splitting the shares .

This should have been in the initial post to help give context. If the group as a whole have been playing in a finder's keepers mentality, then that might change the advice given.

As a whole though, if you are a LG Paladin looking to be generous with the money, then it may make sense to split the gold with the party (not even equally).

As an example, if you took half the gold to give to charity and the rest you gave to the party to split among themselves then at least they get something. (This is coming from the approach that you have been playing finder's keepers with loot and items)

NecessaryWeevil
2020-07-29, 01:15 PM
It sounds, then, like the players need to have a clear and frank out-of-character discussion about expectations around loot and PVP. "Is it finders-keepers? Is it REALLY finders-keepers, even if someone finds something really cool?" "Is PVP allowed? Is theft PVP? If not, what exactly consitutes PVP and what does not?"

DevilMcam
2020-07-29, 01:26 PM
I have encountered a similar issue although on another scale recently.

Our Bard stole a magic item from our fighter a while ago without anyone noticing, then traded it for something else when the party realized half of us would have tied the thief to a tree or left him behind because noone wants to adventure with a backstabing bastard.
Now the problem is that either the party force the Bard to retire his charcter or half the party would because they wouldn't keep adventuring with "That Guy" either way that's not cool for some player.
This is the point where Roleplay conflict with game.

My advice to avoid that is clear session 0 (or ASAP) "NO PVP OF ANY KIND" statement and no 1on1 with the DM. DnD isn't balanced around PvP : whoever initiate PvP does it on it's own terms and without any authority to protect other people (who is gonna hear you scream in the middle of the jungle eh?), so it can go very wrong very Quick.(if you want PvPit's fine but it better be clear for anyone)

But by "NO PVP OF ANY KIND" I really mean "of any kind" Lying to a player is social PvP, stealing from them is exploration PvP, and of course assaulting them is PvP.
Basically : If one player may have to roll against another it's PvP and is No Go even if in that particular situation no roll is involved.
In that example the Paladin broke the Rule by taking the loot alone (He may have needed to roll sleight of hand to not be noticed by other PC). Then the rogue Broke it again (and that's only fair TBH). But then the Lawull neutral barbarian could have requested to have the rogue hands cut off because that's just punishment for thiefs in his land. And from that point the game is more or less ****ed unless someone willingly betrays their character to make compromise and keep playing with this party. NOT COOL.

Of course a little bit of tension beteen the characters can always make a good story. That's where the no 1 on 1 clause intervene. If you are going to do something fun, at least share the fun with your mates. If someone might not find it fun, then don't be a jerk and don't do it, if everyone is on board then why not share with them?
You can always ask nicely "hey Guys, from players to players, would that be fun if my character took all the money to give it to the temple?" if everyone find that fun, go for it.
That way you can even go to much further in the internal party conflict because everyone is on board with it and feels safe about it. And if someone is not on board anymore then back to no PvP rule, we stop.

jaappleton
2020-07-29, 01:42 PM
"Recently started playing D&D"

Ah, I see.

This is a very common thing with new groups. And its understandable, because tabletop is quite unlike any other game there is. Its not a board game, its not a video game.

You can't "win" D&D. Higher amounts of gold, better items, more powerful spells, higher levels... These aren't the end goal of the game. Unlike Monopoly, unlike a round of Warzone, the game doesn't end when everyone else is out. There is no 'last player standing', there is no 'roll credits, game is over' when you reach the end.

Because there is no end. D&D is a cooperative storytelling game. The DM is the referee between your actions as players, and how the world reacts to those actions (and inactions).

What a player knows, and what a character knows, are very seldom the same thing.

Your fellow players need to understand that. And this understanding should come from the DM, not from you. Why? Because the DM is the guide, the DM sets the tone. If you try to make this point, the other player could see it as 'whiny' or 'excuse making'.

Of course, that's not to say you don't try to succeed. You're playing heroes. You should want to win, you should want to save the world. And you should embark on the adventures, and try to do just that. So go get those gold pieces, and those experience points.

However, it is important to note that D&D, at no point, is about the destination;

Its always the journey.

Tsiyo
2020-07-29, 01:51 PM
DevilMcam I see what you are saying. Basically I told them what I found. I didint mean to hide it. But seeing them meta and lusting for gold IG and OOG made me say "you know what if they are greedy i wont give them to greedy characters" .
I think i ll try to specify to them that the money will be shared, but thats it. The rogue didnt steal me 2 sessions now. He only did after this occasion. Also he is LE Rogue so I get if he has some rules of his own . But I ll try to be carefull with the rest of my actions regarding the theft thing.

Tsiyo
2020-07-29, 01:57 PM
"Recently started playing D&D"

Ah, I see.

This is a very common thing with new groups. And its understandable, because tabletop is quite unlike any other game there is. Its not a board game, its not a video game.

You can't "win" D&D. Higher amounts of gold, better items, more powerful spells, higher levels... These aren't the end goal of the game. Unlike Monopoly, unlike a round of Warzone, the game doesn't end when everyone else is out. There is no 'last player standing', there is no 'roll credits, game is over' when you reach the end.

Because there is no end. D&D is a cooperative storytelling game. The DM is the referee between your actions as players, and how the world reacts to those actions (and inactions).

What a player knows, and what a character knows, are very seldom the same thing.

Your fellow players need to understand that. And this understanding should come from the DM, not from you. Why? Because the DM is the guide, the DM sets the tone. If you try to make this point, the other player could see it as 'whiny' or 'excuse making'.

Of course, that's not to say you don't try to succeed. You're playing heroes. You should want to win, you should want to save the world. And you should embark on the adventures, and try to do just that. So go get those gold pieces, and those experience points.

However, it is important to note that D&D, at no point, is about the destination;

Its always the journey.

I agree with you. The party is new. I always played other classes than Paladin ( I was playing some years ago). 3 pple are new to this so I get it. But having other people to discuss such matters makes you learn more. And you are right , its always the journey !

tyckspoon
2020-07-29, 02:39 PM
DevilMcam I see what you are saying. Basically I told them what I found. I didint mean to hide it. But seeing them meta and lusting for gold IG and OOG made me say "you know what if they are greedy i wont give them to greedy characters" .
I think i ll try to specify to them that the money will be shared, but thats it. The rogue didnt steal me 2 sessions now. He only did after this occasion. Also he is LE Rogue so I get if he has some rules of his own . But I ll try to be carefull with the rest of my actions regarding the theft thing.

This kind of thing is why old-school adventuring groups - random adventurers that got together with the agreement that they were going to combine talents to go raid forgotten lairs for treasure, not the more modern conception of of a unified batch of comrades assumed to be wanting to pursue the same higher goal - would form under a charter or contract; among other things it would specify things like how treasure was to be distributed and the penalties for trying to steal from another signed member or withholding a find from the rest of the group. Your group with such disparate members as a standard LG Paladin and somebody doing an Evil Rogue may find it useful to create such a thing in-game to address such situations, as well as other common conflicts that are likely to arise from having such disparate personalities in the group...

For example, your Paladin wants to take a quest because it's the Right Thing To Do and it'll help people, but the expected payout is very low and the Rogue doesn't think it's worth their time - the charter would provide some agreed-upon method for the Paladin to get the Rogue to come along on the quest, or else it would provide a mechanism for the rest of the party to say "actually we agree with the Rogue, we don't want to do that." In which case the traditional approach would be for you to go "Ok, I guess I'm not playing the Paladin tonight, how about.. yeah Tey'edd the Ranger would like that quest" and you pull a different character sheet out of your portfolio. That sort of expectation that you'll have a rotating troupe of characters that you'll play at any given night is one of the other things that has kind of faded out of the game's culture.

pming
2020-07-29, 02:44 PM
Hiya!

Ok, I was going to reply...several times...but each post I read from the OP gave me some kind of a double-take. I'm confused.

I think we need some specific info we don't have yet.

(1) What is the Alignment of everyone in the group, including the OP's Paladin?
(2) Why were you guys in that area/ruined tavern?
(3) Was it "ruined", or just "old", was it abandoned or overrun with goblins?
(4) Basically...does anyone 'own' the tavern?
(5) If so, what relationship do you, as a GROUP, have with the owner?

I think the key points are #1 and #4. We already heard that the OP's Paladin is running around with a LE Thief...but then again I'm old, and in my mind Paladin's have restrictions on who they can and can't "hang around with and trust"; and an Evil character is DEFINITELY on that list, and Paladins are always LG. So...yeah.

Need more info.

Right now...it seems like a group of strangers waking up in a death-cube-prison-thing all "working together to get out"...but only doing that so they can benefit themselves and their survival, even at the cost of others lives. That's just the vibe I'm getting. A very "Chaotic Evil" outlook ("You keep what you kill", and "If you can get away with it...it's legal" so to say).

da newt
2020-07-29, 03:36 PM
Your party (team) needs to come together to discuss what you are about - like tykspoon wrote. Every party needs an agreement OR an agreement that there is no agreement and it is every one for themselves. In many parties, it is agreed that all members split the spoils evenly.

The one question I have is 'who is the tavern owner?' Did your PC just steal all of the bar's profits from a legit business owner? If this is the case, your LG Paladin messed up. Is the bar owner someone who deserves to have all of their possessions seized by your party?

As for role play: talk it out with all of the party in character, but also discuss with all of the players - what is metagaming / what do the PCs know vs what do the players know and how do we all want to resolve the differences. It's all about communication and finding an agreed upon compromise (just like real life).

tomjon
2020-07-29, 04:53 PM
I see two issues here.

First off the LG paladin made a questionable call to keep the gold from the party. There is some wiggle room here. Dose it belong to the owner of the tavern? Alas no not according to the op. Be that as it may, it’s a action that his god (DM) should address. Great chances for some good rp and storytelling.

Next the party used ooc knowledge. The dm should have told them that unless they have an IC reason they are in danger of becoming evil. Many things can happen from this action branded as a highway man and maybe hunted down for this crimes. Is just one example.

In the end the DM should have a more active role in cases like this. Letting the players go p v p or having evil players in the campaign is a risk for new DMs. My advice is have an agreement at the table how loot is split. This is only one step off from coming to blows over that nice shiny sword. Also a frank discussion on IC and OOC knowledge. Just my 0.02.

Tsiyo
2020-07-30, 02:28 AM
In order to reply to your comments above ,

My paladin found the gold in a tavern that all people where dead after a - what seemed - ghoul attack, including the owner.
The tavern was in our way to a given quest ( 3 days travel through a forest area to get to ancient ruins )
The goblins where the bandits of the story they just found the tavern like that and after interrogation, they told us that they were stealing what they could. We had no relationship with the owner.
The party are strangers that we met and formed a group for questing ( with the exception that me and the fighter know each other a bit cause we are from the same village )

Also we didnt name a "Chief" in the party because the NPC that gave us the quest was with us.
LG Paladin , LE Rogue , CN barbarian, LG Cleric , NE Sorc , NG fighter are the alignments so far.

Is it wrong to make an IG discussion about whos gonna be the " chief " in such matters of fair share ?
Also if our rogue gets caught again stealing at some point, how the paladin should react to that? What is for other players , the "common knowledge" about paladins ? (I mean they understant that taking the money for helping the poor is logical for paladins and the rest of the people know that? )
Obviously I ll have to equally share them to other party members after our discussion , but is it ok for them to question a paladin if she is trustworthy or not?

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-07-30, 02:46 AM
So from what I understand the party is sure the rogue is stealing from you for no good reason.

No one but you know you took money from the tavern.

In character, you will need to address the fact the rogue is trying to steal from you.

Based of the level of familiarity among the party you may need to explain why you have so much money.

Out of character.
You need to talk with the other players about the gold issue. Explain why you so this, understand their problem with it as players and continue from there.

Jerrykhor
2020-07-30, 03:04 AM
IMO party loot should always be meta-gamed. This is to prevent selfish behavior, because most of the horror stories are about selfish wangrods who horde loot without in-game party members knowing, then tell them not to meta-game when they get mad. Basically, being selfish is worse than metagaming.

Also, its very common for loot splitting to result in PVP when done in character. "That's what my character would do!" says the loot hoarder. "Well, my character does not tolerate thieves, now die!" says his party member.

follacchioso
2020-07-30, 03:11 AM
Also we didnt name a "Chief" in the party because the NPC that gave us the quest was with us.
LG Paladin , LE Rogue , CN barbarian, LG Cleric , NE Sorc , NG fighter are the alignments so far.Another solution is ask for advice to the LG cleric. You wanted to give the money to the church... there you have a cleric. He is supposedly the wisest character in the party, so he should be able to make a good decision. This way, you also involve somebody else in the decision, so it is no longer you vs the whole party.

(by the way, 120gp is a lot of money, for a party. You didn't say your level, but given that you have just met and you are fighting goblins and ghouls, you must not be very high level)

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-07-30, 03:30 AM
IMO party loot should always be meta-gamed. This is to prevent selfish behavior, because most of the horror stories are about selfish wangrods who horde loot without in-game party members knowing, then tell them not to meta-game when they get mad. Basically, being selfish is worse than metagaming.

Also, its very common for loot splitting to result in PVP when done in character. "That's what my character would do!" says the loot hoarder. "Well, my character does not tolerate thieves, now die!" says his party member.

You know, that is also a way to play the game(just need to make sure all the players are aware of it).
In four out of my six active games PvP and loot hurding is fine. In six out of the seven PvP is allowed.
(Fun fact, the game with no PvP is loot hurding ok game).

Aussiehams
2020-07-30, 04:02 AM
Remember, lawful good does not mean lawful stupid. I'm not sure what church your Pally belongs to, but if you are an ancients Paladin you should be more about protecting beauty and life from evil. Donating the money does not really make sense from that perspective when it can be used directly to aid you in your quest to do good.
That completely depends on your background/church/tenets etc., but the way you are playing is the reason Paladins have a bad rep.
And I'll agree that you have stolen from the party, but the rogue should not be stealing from you.
Not all party make ups work, and you need a OOC discussion to prevent future issues.

Tsiyo
2020-07-30, 04:05 AM
So from what I understand the party is sure the rogue is stealing from you for no good reason.

No one but you know you took money from the tavern.

In character, you will need to address the fact the rogue is trying to steal from you.

Based of the level of familiarity among the party you may need to explain why you have so much money.

Out of character.
You need to talk with the other players about the gold issue. Explain why you so this, understand their problem with it as players and continue from there.

I told them IG I took the money , after OOG they where like " did we see that she took it ?" ( while they where searching too) and because they were going berserk for it I said IG, what I mentioned above "i found 120 gold and i ll give it to my temple in order to be fair, end of story" .
But literally as soon as the dm said you found 120 gold i didnt even had the time to think about splitting after they did like crazy OOG for this loot :P . They are a bit greedy IG so far about making money so I said this to finish this conversation and move on. The thing is if we finished the mission I ll give them obviously their share ( cause actually they are poor) but after rogue tried to steal I dont know how I can roleplay rightfully.

Tsiyo
2020-07-30, 04:17 AM
Remember, lawful good does not mean lawful stupid. I'm not sure what church your Pally belongs to, but if you are an ancients Paladin you should be more about protecting beauty and life from evil. Donating the money does not really make sense from that perspective when it can be used directly to aid you in your quest to do good.
That completely depends on your background/church/tenets etc., but the way you are playing is the reason Paladins have a bad rep.
And I'll agree that you have stolen from the party, but the rogue should not be stealing from you.
Not all party make ups work, and you need a OOC discussion to prevent future issues.

My pala has Sune as her Deity. Indeed I want to protect beauty and life from evil. So I think it makes sense if I wanna give money to poor people in order to live and not starve to death :P
Look at the thread above. I did say to them I took them after the long OOG discussion and I told them ( though I was already making it clear through the session time ) that I don't care about money and they saw me in other situations giving money to people.
But is it right for them to think a paladin stealing? :P I mean if I actually steal from people wouldn't I lose favor to my god or something?
That's why I have this discussion with you to understand how a paladin must be played but also to see what must be " common knowledge" for other characters in order to be played right.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-07-30, 04:20 AM
I told them IG I took the money , after OOG they where like " did we see that she took it ?" ( while they where searching too) and because they were going berserk for it I said IG, what I mentioned above "i found 120 gold and i ll give it to my temple in order to be fair, end of story" .
But literally as soon as the dm said you found 120 gold i didnt even had the time to think about splitting after they did like crazy OOG for this loot :P . They are a bit greedy IG so far about making money so I said this to finish this conversation and move on. The thing is if we finished the mission I ll give them obviously their share ( cause actually they are poor) but after rogue tried to steal I dont know how I can roleplay rightfully.
As an ancient paladin your oath is about happiness and sharing it. You will probably want to be happy, make other happy and make others make others happy.

You can try and teach the rogue that good things happen to the ones who do good:

Try and push him to do good stuff for the time you have left for the mission, when you get to the part were you share the money tell him that you did it because you saw how important it is to him and that because you think he can become a good man if he continue to do good.

Tell him that you prefer he talk with you instead of stealing from you.

To the rest of the party tell you wanted to test them because you don't want their greed to consume them, tell them you don't want to lose your friends to greed.

You can even ask them to promise you that they will try to be less greedy.

Out of character, ask your friends to put trust in you because you also want them to have fun and that you plan to do some stuff.

Roleplay is a big part of most d&d games I know so it should be a good reason.

Rynjin
2020-07-30, 04:31 AM
So uhhh...you do realize YOU stole the money first, right? Kinda hard for you to claim a moral high ground after that.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-07-30, 04:58 AM
So uhhh...you do realize YOU stole the money first, right? Kinda hard for you to claim a moral high ground after that.

She is a paladin, they always have the moral high ground.

And she did find it alone (based on the fact she was able to take it without them knowing).

There may be a finder keeper rule.

Tsiyo
2020-07-30, 05:10 AM

But I didint cause IG as soon as I did my action I informed the party of what I found:P Is that considered stealing?

DevilMcam
2020-07-30, 06:25 AM
It seems based on the OP's post that they are a fairly new player to dnd and or roleplay in general.

There is a saying that goes : if you have to ask, then you already know the answer.
Several times you asked how your character should react to X. It seems that you are looking for validation of something that feels wrong to you.
As some have pointed your paladin didn't really behave as LG by taking the money for your own agenda. They helped kill the goblins, either law or good would dictate that they deserve a "fair" share of the spoil.

I can not stress enough what others also already said. Sometimes you have to stop thinking about you as a character but about you as a player with other players.
So next session please just take 10-30 mins to have that overdue session 0 tall with everyone. "Guys whats the social contract of this game? What about pvp, theft, ... if we go that way we may end up killing each others, is that fine? What else is fine, what is not?"

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-07-30, 06:35 AM
But I didint cause IG as soon as I did my action I informed the party of what I found:P Is that considered stealing?

Did your party choose laws for looting?

Anyway, it looks like you know what you want to do in character.
Just make sure your friends are of with it out of character.

There is a saying
"Never kill the players, only their characters or you will find yourself playing alone"

Tsiyo
2020-07-30, 07:13 AM
It seems based on the OP's post that they are a fairly new player to dnd and or roleplay in general.

There is a saying that goes : if you have to ask, then you already know the answer.
Several times you asked how your character should react to X. It seems that you are looking for validation of something that feels wrong to you.
As some have pointed your paladin didn't really behave as LG by taking the money for your own agenda. They helped kill the goblins, either law or good would dictate that they deserve a "fair" share of the spoil.

I can not stress enough what others also already said. Sometimes you have to stop thinking about you as a character but about you as a player with other players.
So next session please just take 10-30 mins to have that overdue session 0 tall with everyone. "Guys whats the social contract of this game? What about pvp, theft, ... if we go that way we may end up killing each other, is that fine? What else is fine, what is not?"

It's my first-time paladin, and the party consists of new players that's right. It's not validation its more like how to handle this as a paladin because i still learn . Indeed if we had a discussion before with my team mates about how to loot it would be a better solution ( but didnt happened) . I think me as a player and my character as a being got a little annoyed by the fact that they meta a lot and they were acting like jealous-greedy people instantly ( you know the feeling , when you give something to kids and instantly all the other kids wants that only thing ) . Obviously we had a conversation after arguing what happened:P but in any case, it was really helpful taking other opinions into account! :smallsmile:
When its time to split the 120 gold I want to see if they gonna share what gold they found too :P ( I dont think they will but anyway)

I agree with your sayings but Im not expert enough for handling this character yet. Thats why I start playing paladin after all this years ( maybe thats why no one played paladins in our sessions ) :P

Sigreid
2020-07-30, 07:14 AM
You just learned a lesson (I hope) one of the most important things for a good game and gaming group is to establish how the treasures found will be split. For my group, we split money equally and magic items go to the one who can put it to the best use, or the person who hasn't gotten anything in a while.

DevilMcam
2020-07-30, 07:37 AM
In role play there is no
"How do I handle this as a paladin"

The only question is "how to handle this as willam the just in hisbl party of fellow knights"
Or
"How to handle this as edric the morally ambiguous in his rag tag group of murderhobo" (or what have you)

No one can answer that for you.
Just be good to your fellow player as a player.

Also if you didn't have the talk already, it's not too late =)

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-07-30, 07:41 AM
In role play there is no
"How do I handle this as a paladin"

The only question is "how to handle this as willam the just in hisbl party of fellow knights"
Or
"How to handle this as edric the morally ambiguous in his rag tag group of murderhobo" (or what have you)

No one can answer that for you.
Just be good to your fellow player as a player.

Also if you didn't have the talk already, it's not too late =)
I agree about the second part about the fact it is not too late to talk with the players.

I don't agree about the fact it looks like you are saying it is wrong to ask for advice online about roleplay.

DevilMcam
2020-07-30, 07:57 AM
It's absolutely fine to ask online for roleplay help or advice (I may have expressed my point poorly, I apologize).
There is just no single answer based on the mechanical elements (class, skills, background,...) of your character.

You can be a decadent ancient paladin that is all about the reveleries, a devotion paladin devoted to asmodeus, or a conquest paladin that is the nicest girl in town that you simply can't look in the eyes when she's pissed because she's been blessed by amaunator.

Each of those would react differently to that same situation

tomjon
2020-07-30, 10:13 AM
Maybe my group dose it wrong but we have two long standing traditions.

First when I DM the party thief always end up being the treasurer. Raise dead remove curse and the like are payed out of it first. Remaining cash is then handed out. Magical items are decided be vote or high roll. In practice who can use it best gets it and sometimes a slight reshuffling of items happens.

When I do get to play somehow I get voted the treasurer. I don’t even hand out most cash I just get bills. Highest bill I got was over 50k gold. Apparently some players need war ship and crew? An earlier version when the war cleric got followers and decided to make the seas safe around are home city. This works well for mid to high level group when cash has little use. Usually one one or two characters want a base of operations by far the most expensive venture.

Ceric
2020-07-30, 10:18 AM
Tsiyo, can you give some more information on how your party split the rest of the loot from the tavern? How much gold and loot did each player find, how much did each player get to keep?

1Pirate
2020-07-30, 11:33 AM
People have already touched on OOC stuff better than me so I'll leave that out.

However, giving all the money to your temple is more of an Oath of Devotion move. If an Oath of the Ancients paladin wants to drop 120 gold to feed the poor, they're going to bring the first few poor families they see into a nice inn, buy them a hot meal and rent them a room(s) for a few nights, then turn to the innkeeper and buy everyone in the taproom(including your party) a round of drinks.

Something to keep in mind going forward is that in 5e Paladin's are loyal to their Oath first and their Deity 2nd(in fact they technically don't need a deity). For an Ancients paladin being a buzzkill is the bigger sin.