PDA

View Full Version : intelligent magic items and creature-hood

Raishoiken
2020-07-31, 12:06 AM
So when a magic item becomes intelligent it
can actually be considered creatures because they have Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. Treat them as constructs.

Golems also share the weird item/creature limbo to my immediate perception based on the monster manual saying:
The characteristics of a golem that come from [b]its nature as a magic item

My questions for both respectively become:

Smart Swords Inc.

So they (can be) are creatures/treated as constructs. does that mean they now get a save against disintegrate for only partial damage instead of total annihilation, or how do you decide whether they are targeted by spells as an object or creature? can they now receive negative levels? do they start with any hit dice? if so, does how many depend on their size similar to animated objects? or do they start with just 1 class level if they're small enough

Biblical Baby Alive

since they're magic items, they're enchantable with extra goodies right? like magic traps to respond to attackers, as a custom wondrous item that emits all sorts of summons or fields?

For both:

how do you determine how they're targeted by magic or other effects? is it by whichever part of the effect is worse, like in the case of disintegrate or shatter, like half-elves with elf-hood?

is this too grey for a fasho-style answer?

Doctor Despair
2020-07-31, 07:54 AM
My questions for both respectively become:

Smart Swords Inc.

... can they now receive negative levels? do they start with any hit dice? if so, does how many depend on their size similar to animated objects? or do they start with just 1 class level if they're small enough

Constructs are, by their type, immune to necromancy effects and energy drain, as well as being immune to any effect that calls for a fort save that doesn't affect objects, so that should preclude most negative levels, if not all.

Lagtime
2020-07-31, 10:09 AM
If something has any mental ability scores, it's a creature and not an object.

Gruftzwerg
2020-07-31, 10:51 AM
If something has any mental ability scores, it's a creature and not an object.

and a magic item doesn't needs to be an object: see constructs type (which than counts as quasi object only for certain spells/effects..)

It's just that we assume by real world common sense that an magic item has to be an object, but in 3.5 that is not the chase. This is where imho most of the confusion comes (at least it was something I had a hard time to grasp when I started with 3.5).

unseenmage
2020-07-31, 10:36 PM
As a magic item an intelligent magic item can be improved using the combining magic items rules in the Magic Item Compendium.

For maximum weirdness add the effects of a Figurine of Wondrous Power to the thing and now your item that is a construct can turn into an actual alive creature; albeit only for a while.

Further weirdness is possible via gratuitous abuse use of the Greater Humanoid Essence spell which turns Constructs into humanoids for the duration. Vampire Intelligent Magic Sword anyone?

If you really want to make your GM's head explode, make copies of intelligent magic items with the Simulacrum spell.

As for targetting intelligent magic items with spells, this will largely depend on if they are an attended object at the time or not. An intelligent magic item left lying around might make saves against spells and effects just like a Construct would. Excepting reflex saves as it lacks the dexterity score to back that one up. An intelligent magic item being worn could be treated as the item it's is functioning as at the time and would be an attended item for saves.

Mileage may vary from GM to GM though. While I can imagine an argument for treating a wielded or worn intelligent magic item as another creature that opens up a whle lot more cans of worms than it resolves such as occupying spaces, applying creature sizes to oft poorly defined object volumes, and the question of whether your intelligent magic armor can make a ride check to steer you clear of dangers.

Crake
2020-08-01, 01:50 AM
and the question of whether your intelligent magic armor can make a ride check to steer you clear of dangers.

Considering ride is a dex based skill, and intelligent magic armor can't (normally) move on it's own, thus having a dexterity score of "-", I would imagine it would automatically fail any ride check attempts. Kinda the same argument you applied to not being able to succeed on a reflex save while unattended earlier.

unseenmage
2020-08-01, 11:20 AM
Considering ride is a dex based skill, and intelligent magic armor can't (normally) move on it's own, thus having a dexterity score of "-", I would imagine it would automatically fail any ride check attempts. Kinda the same argument you applied to not being able to succeed on a reflex save while unattended earlier.

Agreed. Guess I should have put that bit in blue text. The mental image more amused me than anything else.