PDA

View Full Version : Does Rage restrict SLA usage?

gkathellar
2020-07-31, 05:27 AM
Here's the text of rage, with emphasis from me.

Rage (Ex)

A barbarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the barbarian’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level barbarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

So far as I can tell, there's no explicit restriction on SLA use - but there is a restriction on abilities that requires "patience or concentration," which might or might not include SLAs.

There is also specific allowance for most feats, which might or might not allow SLAs specifically granted by feats (such as dragonmarks), depending on whether the SLA is the feat or merely comes from the feat.

What do you think, playground? Do SLAs require patience or concentration? Do they suffer the same restrictions as spells just on principle? Are there weird exceptions for feat-granted SLAs? I'm honestly pretty stumped on this one.

reddir
2020-07-31, 07:36 AM
Just instinctively I’d say no to SLA, due to requiring focus or concentration, but yes to Su abilities.

Troacctid
2020-07-31, 12:54 PM
SLAs require concentration, so it's a firm no.

Thurbane
2020-07-31, 03:40 PM
SLAs require concentration, so it's a firm no.

That would be my stance as well.