PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Centurions, an Alchemical Warrior Race

redmordred
2020-07-31, 12:03 PM
This a resurrection of (possibly) abandoned Pathfinder homebrew I found years ago. So far as I can tell, the original post(s) have since been deleted along with the account that posted them. I however saved the files when they were available and recently decided I wanted to be able to play on in 5e.

PDF Link. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/12eJhIEPJJuXTJOjPMsCUdW9m4OFqx_4x/view?usp=sharing)

The Centurions are artificially enhanced slaves from an empire known as the Hegemony. They are strong enough to stand toe to toe with Goliaths and Firbolg but are more militarily organized, trained from childhood to fight and work as a unit. Their most mysterious trait however is there lack of magic. They practically have none, not because they don't have the desire to do so, but because they lack the inherent ability.

This conversion comes with three subraces and a racial feat.

Anyways, what are some improvements mechanically you think could be made or maybe some reworked flavor? PEACH.

Darth Credence
2020-07-31, 02:53 PM
I like the race in general, but it seems a touch unbalanced to me. If I was a player and it was available, it wouldn't even be a question about using any other race for a pure fighter or barbarian. Basically, if you don't want to use magic, its the best race. Added to the perk that then lets you use magic and increase a stat, oh boy.
As an NPC race, its great. The bred and owned by the hegemony is more than enough of a penalty to make up for that. If I were to allow it in my campaign, the player would absolutely be chased by the Hegemony to return them to slavery. There are not many players I would trust to play it properly, but I could see a couple of people I know doing some great things with it. If 'no spark' meant that you couldn't even use magic, including things like potions, then I think it would be tempting but not automatic, and be a decent balance for a player race.

redmordred
2020-07-31, 10:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback. There was one feature (and a racial feat) I held out on converting because it seemed a little much for 5e at the time, but I guess it's probably needed so it wouldn't be overpowered to have a player play one. Here's the converted feature and feat:

Yoked. Centurions are conditioned to instinctively trust and obey their masters. They have a disadvantage to Wisdom saving throws against spells used by those they perceive as their masters or superiors, and become poisoned any time they attempt to physically harm one of those individuals, even when compelled through magic. This poisoned effect remains for 1d6 rounds after they cease the attempt. In addition, their masters always receive a advantage to Charisma checks when interacting with the centurion. You should work with your DM on the specifics of your yoke. You may be beholden to only a single individual, a family, or superiors within an organization.

Broken Yoke
Prerequisite: Centurion

You have overcome some of your conditioning that keeps you bound to your master’s will.

* Increase your Constitution or Wisdom score by 1, up to a maximum of 20.
* Your superiors no longer receive a advantage to Charisma checks made against you. In addition, you may make a DC15 Wisdom save at the beginning of your turn as a free action to ignore the poisoned effect caused when attempting to harm your former masters until the beginning of your next turn.

I'll be updating the file later.