PDA

View Full Version : Trying to build Kratos from God of War 4 (ONLY 3.5 PHB)

Arkhios
2020-07-31, 12:15 PM
To keep this relatively simple, let's do this with 3.5 PHB only (but let's assume all magic items from DMG are eventually available).

EDIT: It would seem I should've said I'm trying to build Watered Down version of Kratos (but there's only so much space to type on the title).

To rephrase: Not literally Kratos the God of War, slayer of Gods, but rather a likeness of him, with much lesser proportions.

Ideas for equipment so far:

I'm able to get two pieces of a weapon that is essentially a lethal version of whip, which deals 1d4 piercing damage, has reach of 10 ft, but otherwise acts the same way as a normal whip. Flaming enhancement on both would be a must.
Throwing Returning battleaxe with Frost enhancement is a possibility as well.
Bashing Light Steel Shield with Defending enhancement could be possible too (maybe even made from Mithral or Adamantine)

Honestly, I'm fond of the idea below, of a multiclass between Barbarian, Fighter, and Ranger.

Kayblis
2020-07-31, 04:10 PM
The most unique thing you can make with no interesting books is probably a Barbarian/Ranger/Fighter with two heavily enchanted shortswords with Returning and a chain fluff. Also ask your DM to allow a custom "Deities" target to your Favored Enemy.

You can't reproduce the interesting bits from the games without sources that let you do interesting stuff. Everything in Core-only tables will be "generic RPG stereotype".

Arkhios
2020-07-31, 05:31 PM
I may be able to get around the chained blades, with a customized lethal whip with Flaming.

Throwing Returning Battleaxe with Frost is a quite realistic possibility.

The shield is the difficult one, though. On one hand, it could just be a buckler, but on the other it could also be a Bashing Light shield (maybe with Defending enhancement on it's weaponized function).

I'd say the classes and feats would be more important to figure out in the build. Like how much of each class, and how far with certain feat chains I should go.

The deities as favored enemy I'm going to handwave away from the build. Killing gods wasn't that important about Kratos's build for me, rather the way he fights.

Although, you could stretch that the gods in GoW4 are just more powerful fey and giants.
Kratos himself is a god of sorts, too. Think of him for the sake of this build just as a watered down version of himself :smallbiggrin:

Edea
2020-07-31, 05:37 PM
No ELH? No Kratos, IMO. It'll be a pale shadow, at best.

I also kinda think you'll want DaD.

Arkhios
2020-07-31, 05:40 PM
No ELH? No Kratos, IMO. It'll be a pale shadow, at best.

I also kinda think you'll want DaD.

Epic Level Handbook? No, I should've said a Watered Down version of Kratos.

Not literally Kratos the God of War, slayer of Gods, but rather a likeness of him, with lesser proportions :D

Edea
2020-07-31, 06:20 PM
Oooh, gotcha XD

Arkhios
2020-07-31, 06:32 PM
Oooh, gotcha XD

Although, I could mimic being a DaD by having a Halfling cohort with a bow xD