PDA

View Full Version : Where is Asia located in Eberron?

Cyclone231
2007-10-30, 05:57 PM
I can't seem to remember where Asia was in Eberron. I know that Khorvaire is basically Europe and Xen'drik is basically Africa, but I can't seem to find basically Asia. Where is it?

Iku Rex
2007-10-30, 06:01 PM
The Eberron continents aren't based on real-world continents, but I'd say Sarlona is you best bet for "Asia".

Just Alex
2007-10-30, 06:02 PM
Whatever the elf land is, i can't remember the name

Magnor Criol
2007-10-30, 06:08 PM
Whatever the elf land is, i can't remember the name

You're thinking Aerenal, but I don't think that's 'essentially Asia'. They're more...Aztec-y, if anything.

Like Iku Rex said, I don't think you can really draw strong comparisons between Eberron continents and real-world ones.

Caduceus
2007-10-30, 06:08 PM
The elven nations are Valenar and Aerenal. And if I was going to go against the whole point of Eberron, I'd equate them to the Middle East and South America, respectively.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-30, 06:29 PM
Eberron, is, thankfully, one of the few fantasy settings out there without a designated "Asian fantasy counterpart culture".

However, if you insist on reading these things into Eberron, I'd say the continent of Sarlona. If nothing else, there are some parallels between the Riedran Empire and Maoist China, and between Adar and Tibet.

(This post has been banned in the People's Republic of China.)

If you're looking for a source of ninja, I recommend Zilargo. No one suspects the Gnomes...the Houses of Shadow work as well. The Dwarves or Goblinoids might have a culture that encourages Samurai, and katana...man, screw katana.

DiscipleofBob
2007-10-30, 06:54 PM
Sarlona, otherwise known as the United States of Psionica

Chronos
2007-10-30, 07:00 PM
and katana...man, screw katana.Wouldn't that be a bit... Uncomfortable?

DiscipleofBob
2007-10-30, 07:01 PM
Wouldn't that be a bit... Uncomfortable?

Depends on whether it was sheathed or not.

(or where it was sheathed for that matter.)

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-30, 07:23 PM
I'm just saying, they're overplayed. Perhaps the one Japanese element more overused in Western media than the ninja.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-10-30, 07:44 PM
I'm just saying, they're overplayed. Perhaps the one Japanese element more overused in Western media than the ninja.

No they can awesome cut thru a tank ZOMG!!!1±!! I s4w it on teh internret!!!!

Only joking.:smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2007-10-30, 07:52 PM
Only joking.

You'd better be. :smallmad:

(Dun-dun-DUUUUUUUUN)

horseboy
2007-10-30, 08:55 PM
You'd better be. :smallmad:

(Dun-dun-DUUUUUUUUN)

But everybody knows Katanas are just better. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.KatanasAreJustBetter)

larnman2
2007-10-30, 09:09 PM
It does't have one. Though I suppose you could make some of the royal families asian if needed in the story line.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-30, 10:53 PM
But everybody knows Katanas are just better. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.KatanasAreJustBetter)
As long as we're linking TVTropes here, we can say that Eberron lacks a Wutai (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.Wutai), even though it features a few European Fantasy Counterpart Cultures (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FantasyCounterpartCulture).

It's also the poster-child for D&D's trend toward Dungeon Punk (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.DungeonPunk).

Morty
2007-10-31, 07:32 AM
Wait, Eberron doesn't have Asia in Disguise country?
Man, my opinion on the setting just raised by few degrees.

Kioran
2007-10-31, 08:15 AM
It still has Halflings with atomic Falchions riding dinosaurs. But, well, if you want some Pseudo-Asia, there´s no time like the present. It´s not as if anything was too cheesy for Ebberon.

Morty
2007-10-31, 08:28 AM
It still has Halflings with atomic Falchions riding dinosaurs.

Halflings on dinosaurs, while ridiculous, are at least original, which cannot be said about Asia in Disguise places in other settings.

Citizen Joe
2007-10-31, 09:37 AM
Try Cyre as post nuke Japan and Darguun as feudal Japan.

Kioran
2007-10-31, 11:31 AM
Halflings on dinosaurs, while ridiculous, are at least original, which cannot be said about Asia in Disguise places in other settings.

The problem is not so much the lack of originality, but the crappy translation of these Asian-themed inclusions. Point is, they´re simply badly done, that´s why they piss of people that much........

bosssmiley
2007-10-31, 01:55 PM

OD&D's "Champions of Mystara" and Dark Sun's "Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs" both beg to differ. 'Halflings + dinos' has been a D&D meme since at least the 1990s.

Morty
2007-10-31, 02:07 PM
The problem is not so much the lack of originality, but the crappy translation of these Asian-themed inclusions. Point is, they´re simply badly done, that´s why they piss of people that much........

These two aren't all that separate. Asian themes are often badly done because authors just create a "country with ninjas and samurai". Which is lack of originality.

OD&D's "Champions of Mystara" and Dark Sun's "Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs" both beg to differ. 'Halflings + dinos' has been a D&D meme since at least the 1990s.

:smallconfused: I didn't know that. I thought halflings on dinosaurs are just random strange idea of Eberron creator.

Fhaolan
2007-10-31, 02:12 PM
I tend not to disguse a thing. My campaign's 'Asia' is very obviously Asia. The only difference is that all the people are reptillian...

Okay, so I have a thing for man-sized dinosaurs in full touseigusoku. Sue me.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-10-31, 02:14 PM

Ridiculous? Try TOTALLY AWESOME. Halfling nomads on dinosaurs! That is perhaps the definition of Freaking Sweet.

Tweekinator
2007-10-31, 02:19 PM

Or they piss people off because of the ninja/samurai/katana fanboys they are created for.

You easily have an "Asia" without any of those elements, especially since only a tiny part of the continent ever had them.

And all you need to do with the dinosaur riding halflings in Ebberron is advance the technology a bit, have them fall under the sway of a megalomaniacal dictator and you have perhaps the greatest villains ever.

Deepblue706
2007-10-31, 02:26 PM
Nothing that involves Halflings is ever awesome. Unless they're Halflings dressed like the Hamburglar (like their town guards in EverQuest). But, even then, I still find the need to stangle them to be overbearing with time.

And, Dinosaurs are only cool when they can talk, and one of their group occasionally uses metal cooking objects to blungeon those it doesn't recognize as its mother.

There's really not much potential in that combination.

GNOMES, however, with ROBOTS, are much better. But not Warforged - they instead use the robots like the ones in Skycaptain and The World of Tomorrow. Badass.

Of course, they'd have to focus their resources on plotting world domination, but never actually do it, because they must continue to improve upon every little detail imaginable - like whether to use flame decals or have skull and crossbones.

Edit: And then perform years of testing to determine which is more intimidating on random samples of people they abduct via their UFOs, for whom they also require technology to erase their memories, so that they forget what ever happened and will not be able to leak sensitive info upon release.

Tweekinator
2007-10-31, 02:32 PM
To be fair, when is anything dressed like the Hamburglar not awesome?

Deepblue706
2007-10-31, 02:37 PM
To be fair, when is anything dressed like the Hamburglar not awesome?

Good point.

Job
2007-10-31, 08:22 PM
Remember when they literally had to ban discussions of “katana vs. european swords” threads over at the wizard’s community boards? Man, good times.