PDA

View Full Version : Advice making a Puppeteer PC (Expanded Psionics Handbook).

Zibani
2020-07-31, 03:36 PM
My group is starting a new game in which we all are starting off with ecl6 monstrous characters. We will only start getting class levels after we start play. We'll be trading out RHD for levels as we level up. Lastly, feats that our races get can be traded for feats that we qualify for.

The creatures and templates listed in the LA-Assignment archive, and the Draconic template (+1 la) from the draconomicon are our options.

I have decided to go with a puppeteer, which is an ecl3. But it means that I have 3 levels of level adjustment with templates to play with.

I also start off with a single classed gnome ranger (randomly rolled) as my starting thrall. I can build this character.

What advice do y'all have for templates from that list, future class, and build options for my pet gnome? Assume average WBL. For classes and items, anything not third party or homebrew is kosher.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2020-07-31, 03:45 PM
Thrallherd seems like a no-brainer. What sources are available?

Zibani
2020-07-31, 03:52 PM
Basically nothing third party, nothing homebrew. Looking at it, thrall herd does seem like a solid call.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-31, 04:38 PM
There are a few ways you can go here.

You may want to consider the fiendish template and a bit of fiend of possession so you can take over your thrall and hide inside it ethereally. That way nothing can target or hit you, even on accident, and you'd be protected between hosts both by being ethereal and (potentially) hiding in an object.

Alternatively, perhaps the dark creature template so you're much harder to spot, even when you're out on your own.

[edit] Taking Illithid Grapple (C.Psi) would give you tentacles to instakill enemies you make your way onto and want to kill for some reason (including your current host when you want to transfer to a new one and don't want to leave an enemy behind). Thing is, if you're ethereally inhabiting your host, your host then gains your class levels and feats and stuff, so your host would burst into tentacles as well, which could be...interesting.

You may also want to consider the Psionic Pspellbook (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=23801600&postcount=393e) trick. Make sure your host has manifesting, then you'll be in contact with it and can use its powers known in addition to yours. Additionally, your host could use your powers when you're not actively controlling it. (Assuming, of course, it's friendly toward you.)

Zibani
2020-08-01, 09:31 AM
See, my concern with fiend of possession is that I can only hide inside of someone that I am possessing. As a puppeteer, I'm dominating, not possessing, so I'd have to not use the primary deal for being a puppeteer.

Also, as far as illithid Grapple, I can only attack creatures within one size category of me. So. Diminutive and fine creatures only.

Dig the Psionic spellbook though. Gonna keep an eye out for Psionic hosts.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-08-01, 11:27 AM
See, my concern with fiend of possession is that I can only hide inside of someone that I am possessing. As a puppeteer, I'm dominating, not possessing, so I'd have to not use the primary deal for being a puppeteer.Well, you'd be both dominating and possessing at that point, and FoP would give you a lot of highly defensive and utility options you normally wouldn't get, especially between hosts.

Also, as far as illithid Grapple, I can only attack creatures within one size category of me. So. Diminutive and fine creatures only.While usually entirely accurate, if you're in control of your host via dominated possession, wouldn't you be able to act through it, thus using its body and abilities while retaining your own class features and *feats*? If so, your host would have your feats, and it would thus have Illithid Grapple, which you could use on the host itself to kill it quickly when it's no longer useful.

Dig the Psionic spellbook though. Gonna keep an eye out for Psionic hosts.Remember, ranger is a good dip to qualify for illithid slayer (which is extra ironic, if you take Illithid Heritage to qualify for Illithid Grapple). Your post didn't say anything about a single-class gnome ranger, right? Also, make sure it doesn't have 9+ levels in illithid slayer so you can dominate it effectively.

I suppose if anyone gets suspicious about your gnome having a psionic parasitic leech attached to it, it could insist that you're its animal companion. Claim you're from a feat or PrC alternative class feature or something.

daremetoidareyo
2020-08-01, 03:00 PM
Phrenic? Add more psionic to ya

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-08-01, 04:38 PM
Phrenic? Add more psionic to yaBut ask the DM to be able to choose your psi-like abilities to better suit your character.

Many of the default ones aren't that great.