PDA

View Full Version : What is up with all the Angsty predictions? [Maybe Spoilers]

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-30, 06:07 PM
I've read a lot of predictions about what #500 and beyond will cover, and a recurring theme of things getting even worse for the good guys, characters going through major development that pulls them away from their origin pops up in my face. (Elan being serious as the main suspect)

Seriously, what is up with that? A lot of predictions I've read remind me of episodes of shows where the good guys are flung into the future, where the bad guys are on the verge of sealing their victory, and the resistance is usually led by the hero's friend who has gotten more serious and competent while he's been away.

Yes, it's taken them 103 days to get to whatever point they've reached (possibly more, depending on Roy's trek down the mountain), but the predictions people have made indicate that little-to-no progress has been made by the Order in this time. True, they have a tall order in reuniting with each other, defending Hinjo/defeating Kubota and reviving Roy, but I think you need to have faith in these characters to do it, for in that path, they can truly grow. The way I read it, #484 was the bottom of the barrel. Leader dead, another gate gone, their strongest allies decimated, the survivors divided and cut off. If it gets much worse for the Order, it feels like Deus ex Machina will be required to sort things out. I hope the last fifteen weeks were spent building up from the low point that was #484, so when they're ready to revive Roy, there's hope they can take on Xykon and win.

So come on. Let's show faith in Haley, Elan, Durkon, Vaarsuvius and Belkar to work together as a team, without Roy's supervision, so we can truly say they are tried and tested, and ready to do battle once again upon his return!

If the comic is to last 1000 strips, let it be said that 484 was their finest hour.

Green Bean
2007-10-30, 06:09 PM
It's because of the possibility of a time-skip, and as we all know, everyone in the future is a total badass. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.FutureBadass)

Migodnar
2007-10-30, 06:11 PM
If it's taking them more then 100 days to revive Roy it's almost certain that they are in deep sh-, well, you know.

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-30, 06:16 PM
Yes, something is stopping them, I don't deny this, but the predictions I read imply that the order have been rendered impotent until this point, rather than taking pro-active action to salvage the situation as best they can from wherever they are.

And Dark, Edgy, Eyepatch'd Elan? That's the theory that spurred me into making this thread. I don't believe it for a second.

Migodnar
2007-10-30, 06:20 PM
I think Elan, Durkon, V and Hinjo are still trying to survive the Kubota guy and his clan and trying to stabilish the population of Azure City somewhere else before they strike the city.

Occasional Sage
2007-10-30, 06:25 PM
Yes, something is stopping them, I don't deny this, but the predictions I read imply that the order have been rendered impotent until this point, rather than taking pro-active action to salvage the situation as best they can from wherever they are.

And Dark, Edgy, Eyepatch'd Elan? That's the theory that spurred me into making this thread. I don't believe it for a second.

I think the one that floors me the most is Haley converting (perhaps under duress) to Team Evil. Granted they're always hiring, but is she really willing to change jobs?

I dunno. There's lots of it, but I'm taking it as a sign that something was slipped into the water around here. It's gotta be tongue-in-cheek, right?

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-30, 06:27 PM
See, this is what I'm talking about. After three and a half months of almost continuous contact with Kubota, they're still trying to fend him off and settle the Azurites? This shows no faith in the skills of the Order to grow more competent. Besides, I don't think Elan could wait that long, unless physically restrained.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-10-30, 08:36 PM
I've read a lot of predictions about what #500 and beyond will cover, and a recurring theme of things getting even worse for the good guys, characters going through major development that pulls them away from their origin pops up in my face. (Elan being serious as the main suspect)

Seriously, what is up with that? A lot of predictions I've read remind me of episodes of shows where the good guys are flung into the future, where the bad guys are on the verge of sealing their victory, and the resistance is usually led by the hero's friend who has gotten more serious and competent while he's been away.

1. Well, some of us are just plain negative. :smalltongue:. But seriously, it just makes for a much better story. It would be very anti-climatic if Azure City was fully restored and Lord Hinjo was safe from harm and everything was fine. It would be much more exciting if there was a lot of action going on.

2. But what I don't understand is why so many think someone is going to lose an eye. I can see someone getting a scar or two, but why specifically losing an eye? Was there any foreshadowing I missed?

Anyway, I hope they reunite soon and get on to the next gate.

MCerberus
2007-10-30, 08:50 PM
Haley might lose an eye, seeing as how she's a pirate (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html).

David Argall
2007-10-30, 09:49 PM

They have definitely taken actions, and they were not enough. The 100 days delay seems to mean the party has failed big time. Now I don't see anything major & permanent has happened to them. But in one way or another, they are in 5 "jail cells", and Roy is going to bust them out.

Migodnar
2007-10-31, 07:28 AM
See, this is what I'm talking about. After three and a half months of almost continuous contact with Kubota, they're still trying to fend him off and settle the Azurites? This shows no faith in the skills of the Order to grow more competent. Besides, I don't think Elan could wait that long, unless physically restrained.
I find it completely possible, Azure City forces are pratically nule, The part of the Order that managed to get on the boat plus Hinjo, Lien, Kazumi and Daigo are not enough to defend theirselves and thousands of citizens against a clan who is suposed to be large (planing on retaking the city would require alot of men) while settling the citizens somewhere safe with food and water, this work would take a lot of time and, how knows? Maybe they even had to leave the citizens to escape Kubota.