PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Vampires and the Feywild

poolio
2020-07-31, 11:58 PM
Greeting playgrounders, so i'll keep it short but can give more details if requested, does anyone know if there's any reasons vampires can't exist in the Feywild? are there holy lands there or anything?

thanks in advance all.

Christew
2020-08-01, 12:11 AM
Greeting playgrounders, so i'll keep it short but can give more details if requested, does anyone know if there's any reasons vampires can't exist in the Feywild? are there holy lands there or anything?

thanks in advance all.
I don't think there is a problem. The Feywild and Shadowfell are opposites, but on a pretty neutral spectrum. Both places have good and evil.

If- Vampires are evil undead
And- the Feywild allows undead
Because-- Baelnorns
And- the Feywild allows evil
Because-- Feydark
Then- the Feywild should allow vampires.

poolio
2020-08-01, 12:21 AM
I don't think there is a problem. The Feywild and Shadowfell are opposites, but on a pretty neutral spectrum. Both places have good and evil.

If- Vampires are evil undead
And- the Feywild allows undead
Because-- Baelnorns
And- the Feywild allows evil
Because-- Feydark
Then- the Feywild should allow vampires.

Okay, yeah that's what i was thinking, but i wasn't sure if there was some deeper lore that prevented vampires from being in the Feywild or something, i have a player trying to get another to chose between being able to go home to the Feywild, and keeping her vampireism and her connection to the vampire that turned her, she really likes him as a father figure to her character, so i wanted to make sure i'm not messing something up,

if anyone knows any more i'd really appreciate the input as well, thanks
and thanks Christew for your help as well.

Ninja_Prawn
2020-08-01, 03:58 AM
Mechanically, it should be fine. In fact, the Feywild is often described as being locked in an 'eternal twilight' where the stars never set, so a vampire would be safe there from the sun's deadly rays. On the other hand, the humanoid population of the Feywild is sparse and probably contains a higher proportion of powerful spellcasters than you'd find on the Material Plane, so there might not be enough... food... to sustain vampires in the long term.

There might be some archfey that dislike vampires (sometimes it's convenient that they rarely need a reason to do what they do), and since you're dealing with a specific character, you can probably come up with something. Maybe she can't go home as a vampire because she has family there that have sworn to eradicate vampires or something? In the 4e canon, there was a whole faerie court devoted to exterminating lycanthropes, so it's not that far-fetched...

ftafp
2020-08-01, 03:14 PM
honestly, i dont know much of the planar lore of feywild, but i see no reason they would be incompatible. in mythology there's a substantial number of undead that were originally considered fey, such as ghouls, banshees, headless horsemen, and yuki onna

Chronos
2020-08-01, 05:04 PM
For what it's worth, there's a popular fantasy series that includes a war between a group of vampires and a group of wizards. The major fey courts stay carefully neutral, but both sides engage in diplomatic negotiations about the right to pass through fey lands.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-01, 06:25 PM
Isn’t there a vampire archfey? Cannith of Cendriane I think?

poolio
2020-08-02, 10:19 PM
This has all been very helpful, thanks everyone!

NorthernPhoenix
2020-08-03, 11:55 AM
Vampires can exist on the Feywild, in theory (it's not the positive energy plane!). But most of the inhabitants there both good and evil generally dislike them and are often strong enough to do something about it. Thus, a Vampire capable of traveling the planes is likely to pick a place more friendly to its goals.

Evaar
2020-08-03, 12:17 PM
I might add some extra flavor if you think it fits your scenario - steal from White Wolf games and have Fey blood be especially potent when the vampire is drinking it, but it causes madness. To represent both that the Feywild is a plane of capital L “Life,” and that it is yet wholly alien to mortals.

Lunali
2020-08-03, 01:43 PM
Because of the perpetual twilight nature of the Feywild, it's entirely possible that it could be considered always in daylight or never in daylight. Either way, it's something vampires would find relevant.