PDA

View Full Version : DM Help DM Help : Keeping Track

Necrosnoop110
2020-08-01, 10:34 AM
D&D is my gaming circle's primary game and I am the DM most of the time. I primarily run things from a module but we ad-lib and go off module intensely and frequently. We take our time and can spend a few years to complete each campaign. I have no problem redirecting or bridging back to the module after some time spent in the sandbox.

My problem is keeping track of things. I feel like our sessions can get detailed and complex and in the middle of role-playing I cannot stop and take notes. Our games are not murder-hobo, kill the monster, get the treasure - we have lots of characters, lots of names, lots of social interactions, intrigue, betrayal, etc.

Any suggestions on how to keep track of things for a long detailed campaign that has a lot of on-the-fly content to keep a hold of? I thought about recording each session and then re-listening to it and taking notes but I really don't want to invest that much time. I feel like I have a certain knack for coming up with imaginative stuff on the fly but am horrible at keeping it all together.

Thanks,
Necro

Palanan
2020-08-01, 10:38 AM
See if one of your players is willing to take on the job of party chronicler. I've done that in every campaign I've played in, and when I'm running a game I usually have a player who's willing to take detailed notes.

In my current campaign, one player took extensive notes for each session, embellished them from his character's perspective, and then sent them out to the group. That's been very helpful in terms of keeping track of story details and our large cast of NPCs.

Zhorn
2020-08-01, 10:54 AM
Start up a google doc shared with the group, get he players to do it as a group. They can jot down notes pen'n'paper style like the days of old during play, then between session players log into the doc and compile their notes.

My current DM set this up for our game, and while I'm probably writing the majority of notes, it's a thing everyone in the group has access to, and the others do add the details I miss (I make it known I don't take notes for things my character is not present for).

Finally, if not one in the group wants to take notes... False Hydra time.
No notes? those sessions are now false memories, and you can retcon what you like.
Just kidding, I wouldn't be that cruel... unless... :smalltongue: